Classic Games

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Older toys seek new fans with makeovers
By JOHN SEEWER, Associated Press Writer

It seems an unlikely pair — the trendy SpongeBob SquarePants teaming up with the aging Etch A Sketch.
Other toy shelf staples also have gotten makeovers.

Monopoly is out with a new version that replaces the Atlantic City Boardwalk with Times Square. And who can forget when Barbie ditched her longtime beau Ken just two years ago.

Traditional toys have been losing ground to electronics in recent years — sales fell 4 percent to $21.3 billion last year, according to the market research firm NPD Group Inc. For the makers of classic toys, creating a new look is one way to compete against video games and the holiday season's "must have" toys.

There's a fine line, though, when it comes to updating a classic.
Giving a classic toy a new look without altering it too much is a smart move, said Jonathan Samet, publisher of The Toy Book, a trade publication.
Only a handful of classic toys have remained unchanged, Walsh said. Milton Bradley's battery-operated game Operation hasn't been altered much except for the removal of a cigarette from the surgeon's mouth on the box, he said.

Lol.

We love traditional games. Clue is a fave, as is Scrabble. I never noticed the cigarette in the surgeon's mouth though!

The Risk board and game pieces continue to change in appearance, but the game has remained fundamentally unchanged since it started. However, to keep things interesting, Risk has had many 'spin-off' games with different maps and special rules. My favorite so far is Risk 2210, though I've never gotten ahold of Godstorm.

The Risk board and game pieces continue to change in appearance, but the game has remained fundamentally unchanged since it started. However, to keep things interesting, Risk has had many 'spin-off' games with different maps and special rules. My favorite so far is Risk 2210, though I've never gotten ahold of Godstorm.

Risk is a fun game. I'm surprised I had any friends at all after going through our Risk phase. Throwing dice and screaming at my friends over broken alliances was all part of the fun, I guess.

Risk is a fun game. I'm surprised I had any friends at all after going through our Risk phase. Throwing dice and screaming at my friends over broken alliances was all part of the fun, I guess.

Risk? :sleep:
My all time favorite that you don't need to buy a manufactured game for is "Spoons".
I also like the classics pictionary, scattergories, Yahtzee and mexican Train dominoes.
A new one that I like is "Liar's Dice" that came out from PoTC2.

Risk is #1 in our house. Monopoly and Scrabble are used for diversity. UNO too is a staple.

i love classic games, but i like Apples to Apples too. that game is fun and its newer.

I agree with Avatar. I love the classic games but lately Apples to Apples has become a family favorite. If you've never heard of it or played the game you can get a feel for it at playyourredcard.com.

We're also thinking about picking up Pictionary man next. A co-worker said it is alot of fun.

Anyone tried that one yet?

we were a family of card playing motherfucker.. BUT, I did love some pictionary, taboo and TRIVIAL PERSUIT

Yep, Card Games,,,I learned to play poker when I was 6, gin rummy, Michigan, spades, love them all.

I think Poker is my favorite card game, then Gin. (the game not the booze, vodka please for me)

Risk and Monopoly , and of course I'm the queen of Trivial Pursuit.

I like to play games with family. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to this Christmas. :tongue:

oh hey.. GOOD EYE. I hope someone is going to go get you a cookie right now.

Compulsive gamers 'not addicts'
BBC NEWS | Technology | Compulsive gamers 'not addicts'

Survey: Over half of adults play video games
Younger adults more likely to play than seniors, study finds
Survey: Over half of adults play video games - Games - msnbc.com

Just correcting you, don't get all bent out of shape cause you are an idiot.

Massively Addictive - Printable View - Yahoo! Video Games

CrunchGear » Archive » Woman divorces husband over World of Warcraft addiction

The irresistible lure of a fantasy world | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Addicted: Suicide Over Everquest?, Was He Obsessed? - CBS News

hey Geraldo.. you've got something on your face.

geraldo7ki.jpg

Classic games are the BEST games. I love Frogger! Even with the new looks (as long as they keep the game the same).

Just two cents.

I actually agree that it's NOT an addiction. Obsession for some but still not an addiction. Most game a lot because they are bored not because they are addicted in any way. Most things now labeled as addiction are just people making excuses.

New Topics

Forum List

Back