Civil rights lawsuit filed against Albertsons/Safeway for mistaking ATM card for food stamps card

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
California woman sues Albertsons after clerk wrongly assumes she’s on food stamps

An African-American woman filed a civil rights lawsuit Monday, April 10, against Albertsons and its parent company, Safeway, alleging that its managers took no steps to correct or apologize for the actions of a checkout clerk at an Irvine store who incorrectly assumed the woman was on food stamps.

Jenna Watkinson, a spokeswoman for Safeway, said company officials have not seen the lawsuit and “do not comment on pending litigation.”

“However, any time we interact with a customer, our goal is to ensure that they are treated with the utmost respect and courtesy,” she said Wednesday.

Deirdre Harris, 42, who filed the lawsuit, said the incident occurred Jan. 27 at the Albertsons at Alton Avenue and Culver Street. Harris said she was trying to pull out a debit card from her phone case to pay for the items, when the checkout clerk asked her if she wanted to use her EBT card.

“What exactly did you say?” Harris asked the clerk.

The clerk repeated her question and asked if she wanted to use food stamps.

“I felt completely demoralized,” said Harris, an Orange County native who grew up in Huntington Beach, works as a fashion brand consultant, and has lived in Irvine for 22 years. “For me, it was a very clear reminder — a painful reminder — that we do not live in a post-racial era.”...

Unless there is more to this story, wtf? What if her debit card looks just like a food stamps card? Liberals wanted to replace food stamps with a debit card to reduce the stigma of using food stamps. What if he really was just trying to save her a little money on bags.

:cuckoo:

So she jumps on the racial "I just won the lottery" bandwagon to prove how ethical she is? This is California so I wouldn't laugh it off.

So she jumps on the racial "I just won the lottery" bandwagon to prove how ethical she is? This is California so I wouldn't laugh it off.

It's probably just another shakedown (assuming no major facts are missing from the story). If she actually takes this to Trial instead of taking some early settlement, she's a moron.

California woman sues Albertsons after clerk wrongly assumes she’s on food stamps

An African-American woman filed a civil rights lawsuit Monday, April 10, against Albertsons and its parent company, Safeway, alleging that its managers took no steps to correct or apologize for the actions of a checkout clerk at an Irvine store who incorrectly assumed the woman was on food stamps.

Jenna Watkinson, a spokeswoman for Safeway, said company officials have not seen the lawsuit and “do not comment on pending litigation.”

“However, any time we interact with a customer, our goal is to ensure that they are treated with the utmost respect and courtesy,” she said Wednesday.

Deirdre Harris, 42, who filed the lawsuit, said the incident occurred Jan. 27 at the Albertsons at Alton Avenue and Culver Street. Harris said she was trying to pull out a debit card from her phone case to pay for the items, when the checkout clerk asked her if she wanted to use her EBT card.

“What exactly did you say?” Harris asked the clerk.

The clerk repeated her question and asked if she wanted to use food stamps.

“I felt completely demoralized,” said Harris, an Orange County native who grew up in Huntington Beach, works as a fashion brand consultant, and has lived in Irvine for 22 years. “For me, it was a very clear reminder — a painful reminder — that we do not live in a post-racial era.”...

Unless there is more to this story, wtf? What if her debit card looks just like a food stamps card? Liberals wanted to replace food stamps with a debit card to reduce the stigma of using food stamps. What if he really was just trying to save her a little money on bags?

:cuckoo:
Whine, Get a Check

Any judge who agrees to hear a case like this should be impeached. Opponents who don't propose bold solutions are trying to trick us into voting for them.

I have a story from the opposite. Standing in line at the local Fred Meyers and the chick in front of us used an EBT, the cashier had no clue what to do with it and had to call a manager. We then got to wait 10 minutes while stuff that wasn't allowed was removed from the bags... Quite boring as they stopped putting tabloids in the check out lines so there's basically noting to do but twiddle thumbs.

What bothers me is that waiters, waitresses, valets, and bellhops always give me the best service and hop right to it because I'm a white male, and they assume I will give them a better tip than a minority person, and you know what, they're right!!!

Forum List

Back