City Orders Man To Remove Flag

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This City Council has way to much time on their hands. Now, if this man was flying a flag other then the US flag, would they be interested?

California man told to remove American flag

Ukiah, CA - A pending vote by Ukiah's City Council requiring a local resident to remove a large American flag from his property has some residents in the small Northern California town fuming.

Dave Hull and his neighbor Ric Piffero raised the giant 20-foot by 38-foot flag shortly after 9/11.

"We saw this happening all over the country on the news and just thought it would be a great thing to fly a flag up here where people could see it and enjoy it," says Hull, a lifelong Ukiah resident.

Piffero added, "It gives a person goosebumps. It does me, and to find anybody to find it an eyesore is pretty hard to take."

The Ukiah City Council is expected to ban the flag bya 3-2 vote, claiming the 45-foot pole on which it hangs violates the city's building height ordinance.

The flag, which is located on Hull's property in the hills to the west of Ukiah, can be seen from the center of town as it unfurls on windy days.

The controversy is so heated that council members chose not to comment to News10. However, the city manager did confirm that the council is concerned about "visual blight" created by the giant flag.

Local residents have their own opinions about the flag. Among them, Charla Reed of Ukiah. She said, "I think it's fine. It's not blocking my view. I don't think it's blocking anybody's view."
Petitions supporting Hull and Piffero have been circulating around town. Already 300 signatures have been gathered.

Piffero said that if the city goes ahead with its threat of declaring the flag illegal, he and Hull will consider legal action and perhaps take it to a vote of the people.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/national/newsshare_article.aspx?storyid=58416

WTF? Do you just argue for the sake of arguing? You know good an well you would be pissed if your property value went down because your neighbor has a giant parachute sized flag on his front lawn.

I doubt anyone's property value is going to go down because of a US flag. Well, maybe in Dem neighborhoods since y'all are partial to the "Hammer and Syckle."

Where's that sense of humor, Jack Benny?:laugh:

I doubt anyone's property value is going to go down because of a US flag. Well, maybe in Dem neighborhoods since y'all are partial to the "Hammer and Syckle."

Where's that sense of humor, Jack Benny?:laugh:

Good one Dane Cook:laugh:

Why can't the guy just fly a normal american flag off his pole?

There's probably another side to this story.

Good one Dane Cook:laugh:

Why can't the guy just fly a normal american flag off his pole?

There's probably another side to this story.

I really don't see that it matters. I also find it hard to believe that coming from the liberal side, that you would want to infringe on this man's rights. Isn't that what y'all are always claiming to stand for?

It shouldn't have been a city council decision. The neighborhood should of had an ordinance or CoC signed by all land owners.

Neighborhood Nazi Committees do not exist everywhere; especially, the older the neighborhoods are. If such a committee existed and he signed the agreement, and the flag was in violation of that agreement, then I would agree. In the absence of such, it IS a city council decision.

One thing I noticed about those Nazi neighborhood groups is they will draw up amendments after the fact as it suits them. They did the same thing here in regard to a guy who painted his garage door into an American Flag after 9/11.

Common denominator: It's cool to be unAmerican.

Neighborhood Nazi Committees do not exist everywhere; especially, the older the neighborhoods are. If such a committee existed and he signed the agreement, and the flag was in violation of that agreement, then I would agree. In the absence of such, it IS a city council decision.

One thing I noticed about those Nazi neighborhood groups is they will draw up amendments after the fact as it suits them. They did the same thing here in regard to a guy who painted his garage door into an American Flag after 9/11.

Common denominator: It's cool to be unAmerican.

Common denominator: It's not cool to be tacky.

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/local/ci_4131116
Article Last Updated: 08/03/2006 08:48:41 AM PDT

Still no decision on Western Hills flag pole
By KATIE MINTZ The Daily Journal

Earlier this week, [City Attorney] Rapport was made aware of California Government Code section 434.5, which states governmental agencies should not adopt rules, regulations or ordinances that prevent any person or private entity from exercising his or her right to display a United States flag on private property.
and later in the same article, another applicable code....
The code, California Civil Code section 1353.5, addresses the displaying of the United States flag as it pertains specifically to a property owner and his or her property rather than on private property in general as in the Government Code. It states that "except as required for the protection of the public health or safety, no declaration or other governing document shall limit or prohibit, or be construed to limit or prohibit, the display of the flag of the United States by an owner on or in the owner's separate interest or within the owner's exclusive use common area."

Who knows, perhaps there is some sanity in the lands of fruits and nuts? In any case, kudos to Piffero and Hull for their patriotism, both in their proud display of our flag, and for their stand to protect freedom of expression.

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/local/ci_4131116
Article Last Updated: 08/03/2006 08:48:41 AM PDT

Still no decision on Western Hills flag pole
By KATIE MINTZ The Daily Journal

and later in the same article, another applicable code....

Who knows, perhaps there is some sanity in the lands of fruits and nuts? In any case, kudos to Piffero and Hull for their patriotism, both in their proud display of our flag, and for their stand to protect freedom of expression.

ahhh look chad is............wrong

WTF? Do you just argue for the sake of arguing? You know good an well you would be pissed if your property value went down because your neighbor has a giant parachute sized flag on his front lawn.

Ok, I have sat by when people talk about 'property values' and decided not to put in my .02c only because I don't fee like starting the conversation.

I worked in the mortgage industry for a little over 3 years. In that time, I learned what does and does not increase proprty value because I worked with actual appraisals daily, and I just had my house done as well for our refinance.

The following improvements/changes WILL affect property value:
Type of home (single, multi-family, townhome, condo, etc)
# of bedrooms, bathrooms, and house sq footage (duh)
FINISHED inside house sq. footage
yard/land size (duh again)
location in proximity to the nearest largest metropolitan area (desirable location)
type of street home is on (cul-de-sac homes tend to fetch a larger sale price)
school district and closest school proximity
garage space and whether it is attached or not
permanent fencing
concrete driveway vs asphalt
In-ground pool and some kinds of above-ground pools (not inflatable/insta-pools)
number of trees (size and type do not come into play)
decks
remodeled/updated kitchen/bathrooms (not including appliances except bathtub)
Nearby wooded areas
Is your property on a flood plain? Fault line?
Near a golf course, park, or other rec area with wooded trails?
water features such as a pond, lake or river (garden ponds MAY count, depending on type and how 'permanent' it is)

Things that do NOT affect actual property value, only curb appeal:
New roof
new carpet
painted walls or panelled walls
new doors
gardens of any kind (this includes flagpoles which are considered a garden item)
childrens playsets
kitchen appliances
garage door opener (you wouldn't believe how many people think this affects the value)
New siding
fresh exterior paint
seamless gutters

So to argue that the flagpole brings down property value doesn't work. This has nothing to do with that.

Now as for the city telling him to take down the flagpole, they DO have the right to enforce the height of buildings and objects (even trees) on your property. This usually has to do with safety if it were ever to fall due to a storm or other reason. My city has a 'height' ordinance on things like that as well as buildings, and if you want or need to go above the limit, you have to present your case as to why, and get approval from the city.

the way I see it in the article, it wasn't the flag itself that was the problem, it was the fact this guy put a pole up that is taller than allowed-he should have checked with the city regarding this, but most people don't realize there would be such a thing. Really, it kind of is nitpicking but I also see the city's point. What if it ever fell on someone or someone else's property during a storm or other reasons? There could be serious problems.

New Topics

Forum List

Back