Citizenship-By-Birth Faces Challenges

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"But the federal courts have never specifically addressed the question of whether children born to those in the country illegally should be entitled to citizenship, says Michael M. Hethmon, general counsel of the Immigration Reform Law Institute, which favors tighter restrictions on immigration and has advised the state legislators on their efforts.

Berman says the 14th Amendment was meant to clarify the status of freedmen and "does not apply to foreigners. The 14th Amendment, which is being used to provide citizenship, is the last thing that should be used."

Citizenship-By-Birth Faces Challenges : NPR

squatdropkm8.jpg

my2¢;2348579 said:
How can somebody that has never been to any country but the U.S.A. be considered a foreigner? What are the rules in this regard?

You gotta be a "real American", not just born here.

"But the federal courts have never specifically addressed the question of whether children born to those in the country illegally should be entitled to citizenship, says Michael M. Hethmon, general counsel of the Immigration Reform Law Institute, which favors tighter restrictions on immigration and has advised the state legislators on their efforts.

Berman says the 14th Amendment was meant to clarify the status of freedmen and "does not apply to foreigners. The 14th Amendment, which is being used to provide citizenship, is the last thing that should be used."

squatdropkm8.jpg

Should you be able to keep the loot you got from robbing a bank? Then why should illegals reap benefits from breaking the law.

my2¢;2348579 said:
How can somebody that has never been to any country but the U.S.A. be considered a foreigner? What are the rules in this regard?
Dunno...I guess the right wants to create an entire class of stateless citizens.

I would tend to support the ellimination of citizenship by birth with some allowances for those in the country legally and working towards citizenship. Most other countries do not allow it.

Right now it serves as an incentive to sneak over, have your anchor baby and be set for life.

I would tend to support the ellimination of citizenship by birth with some allowances for those in the country legally and working towards citizenship. Most other countries do not allow it.

Right now it serves as an incentive to sneak over, have your anchor baby and be set for life.

Another freebie thats needs to be cut.

Totally agree.

I love that inscription on the Statue of Liberty:

"Come on in, sneak in our country, plop out a kid or two and we'll instantly make you all citizens and support you for life"

Heartwarming....

squatdropkm8.jpg

The citizenship by birth laws were enacted to ensure the children of slaves would not be deported to africa....the way its being used now is not in line with its original intent.

squatdropkm8.jpg

The citizenship by birth laws were enacted to ensure the children of slaves would not be deported to africa....the way its being used now is not in line with its original intent.

Time for it to be banished

squatdropkm8.jpg

American citizenship has nothing to do with where you are born.

citizenship is based upon religion and ideology

Since America is a christian nation then any person, even those born in the U.S. to American parents, who does NOT believe in the christian god, is NOT a U.S. citizen and does NOT have constitutional rights. At least, that is what g h w bush said....

and we all know that liberals and democrats are "treasonous traitors" who "hate America"
so they are NOT U.S. citizens and deserve NO constitutional protections

Only conservative christians, conservative republicans (no RINOS) can be citizens and entitled to constitutional rights

at least
that's what rush limbaugh and ann coulter and mike savage and bill oreilly and glenn beck say

squatdropkm8.jpg

Since America is a christian nation then any person, even those born in the U.S. to American parents, who does NOT believe in the christian god, is NOT a U.S. citizen and does NOT have constitutional rights. At least, that is what g h w bush said....

and we all know that liberals and democrats are "treasonous traitors" who "hate America"

Only conservative christians, conservative republicans (no RINOS) can be citizens and entitled to constitutional rights

at least
that's what rush limbaugh and ann coulter and mike savage and bill oreilly and glenn beck say

Do you think before you type? Please contribute something to the thread that is viable and within reason. You just make yourself appear stupid when you post this type of nonsense.

For once I agree with you.

squatdropkm8.jpg

at least

None of them have said such things. You are a dishonest idiot.

squatdropkm8.jpg

at least

None of them have said such things. You are a dishonest idiot.

George H. W. Bush: "Atheists Neither Citizens Nor Patriots

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush.

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

Forum List

Back