Citing rise of ‘Christian nationalism,’ Secular Democrats unveil sweeping recommendations for Biden

"

WASHINGTON (RNS) — A Democratic group dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”

The 28-page document, crafted by the Secular Democrats of America PAC, is being presented to the incoming administration by Democratic Representatives Jamie Raskin and Jared Huffman — both co-chairs of the Congressional Freethought Caucus.

The SDA’s agenda offers a wide range of policy recommendations to push back against the so-called “Christian nationalist movement,” which the the group describes as an “extraordinarily well-funded and well-organized” phenomenon whose “extreme and sectarian agenda (was) on constant display under the Trump-Pence administration.”

Work with Congress to incentivize states to increase their vaccination rates by repealing all nonmedical exemptions to mandatory vaccination for children in schools and day care centers. States like California and New York have taken such actions, but only after experiencing severe outbreaks of measles and whooping cough. Parents and children have the right to a school environment free of vaccine preventable diseases. The most vulnerable among us who are medically ineligible for vaccination depend on herd immunity to protect them.

Move along, nothing see here....well except for a direct attack on Religious Liberties that is.
Another DIRECT attack on christians, traditional families, hell it's an attack on sanity in general! I am no christian either but this crap is coming for ALL sane families etc before it's over with.

"

WASHINGTON (RNS) — A Democratic group dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”

The 28-page document, crafted by the Secular Democrats of America PAC, is being presented to the incoming administration by Democratic Representatives Jamie Raskin and Jared Huffman — both co-chairs of the Congressional Freethought Caucus.

The SDA’s agenda offers a wide range of policy recommendations to push back against the so-called “Christian nationalist movement,” which the the group describes as an “extraordinarily well-funded and well-organized” phenomenon whose “extreme and sectarian agenda (was) on constant display under the Trump-Pence administration.”

Work with Congress to incentivize states to increase their vaccination rates by repealing all nonmedical exemptions to mandatory vaccination for children in schools and day care centers. States like California and New York have taken such actions, but only after experiencing severe outbreaks of measles and whooping cough. Parents and children have the right to a school environment free of vaccine preventable diseases. The most vulnerable among us who are medically ineligible for vaccination depend on herd immunity to protect them.

Move along, nothing see here....well except for a direct attack on Religious Liberties that is.
Another DIRECT attack on christians, traditional families, hell it's an attack on sanity in general! I am no christian either but this crap is coming for ALL sane families etc before it's over with.

I am a Christian and I agree.

The republicans have developed a bizarre amalgam of right-wing politics and a radical faction of the Christian faith that ignores Jesus entirely. These people aim to take away the individual right of all Americans to religious liberty. This movement must be stopped and the separation between church and state be affirmed and strengthened.

The trump/pence administration has dedicated itself to advancing this unpatriotic and authoritarian agenda and shoving it down the throats of all Americans. I am not a member of a religious group that is against birth control, abortion, and the civil rights of LGBTQs, and I totally reject the view that any level of government should be involved in these issues. These are matters that must be left up to individual decisionmaking. No one should be forced to live their personal lives according to the dictates of a religious group that s/he has not elected to join.

There is no right to demand that one never come into contact with those whom they don't like or to examine somebody else's sex life. Imagine if other people, maybe LGBTQs, start demanding that they never come into contact with members of these religions or that they have the right to refuse to serve members of these religions. These claims are absurd.

Not a single word of this post has anything to do with the OP.

I think that I made myself perfectly clear. For your further clarification, though, I will explain that I believe that the word "secular," in this context, implies that no belief of any particular sect may be imposed by any level of government on citizens who adhere to other religious beliefs or don't have them. In other words, the government must remain neutral and not take sides in any theological conflict. To do otherwise would constitute an unconstitutional establishment of sectarian religion.

The trump administration openly favored a few religious sects at the expense of other Americans, even going as far as promulgating rules designed to subjugate our LGBT citizens to the hatred of some religious factions and to force female Americans to live under the yoke of these factions. We are supposed to be a free people.

The Rump administration also blatantly disfavored at least one religion, that being Islam.

Yup. They sure did. But apparently these yokels have decided that Islam is not a religion! But this is to be expected from people who don't think that any one can follow any Christian sect except for fundie. People who are too stupid to understand even the fact that the Christian faith is divided into many different denominations and factions can't be counted on to understand that other religions exist. I thought of not saying this, but I will put it out there: I remember when frankie graham went after Pete Buttigieg, who is not only a gay, married person, but also is an Episcopalian. Frankie doesn't know the difference. Why would he think that an Episcopalian would march to the tune of a Southern Baptist?

I was a history major and am very aware of what damage Christian sectarianism did in Europe. I also have a good friend, who addresses me as "Mama." He is a devout Muslim who has kept the fast of Ramadan for all the years that I have known him. Frustrated at not having a child, he joined the Haj, and now he has a beautiful four-year-old daughter. I guess the Supreme Being answered his prayers. There are many wonderful Muslims in my community, and met many when I was in Turkey as a teenager.

I guess I'm just sick of the sectarian garbage coming from fundie Christians. They have the right to their own, but so does everybody else.

They sure did. But apparently these yokels have decided that Islam is not a religion!

NOBODY ever said Islam is not a religion.

People who are too stupid to understand even the fact that the Christian faith is divided into many different denominations and factions can't be counted on to understand that other religions existv

NOBODY ever said this either.

I remember when frankie graham went after Pete Buttigieg, who is not only a gay, married person, but also is an Episcopalian.

You have a very flawed understanding of religion in general and Christianity in particular. I get it, you believe how you want to and what you want to. But ALL religions excepet for the New Agers have very specific tenets that must be adhered to to be a part of that religion. Islam is the single most exclusive religion in the world yet you defend it. You use the word "fundie", Islamic fundies will do one of 2 things, make you convert or die OR make you pay a tax to them for the "right" for you to retain your beliefs. It's called Jizzya.
Islam is a cult. Satan it's master.

It's a political ideology, a violent one that requires the subjugation and extinction of non-believers. That's why it isn't a 'religion' that should enjoy being protected by faux 'secularism'. The fact is only mentally ill sexual deviants and commie sociopaths think its 'equal' and that it should have the same protections as Christianity or Buddhism.

Actually the United States Constitution thinks so too.

Actually it didn't originally; 9 of the 13 colonies had established sects and the establishment clause is clearly meant to apply to Christian sects, and while many states chose to tolerate outliers and crank cults they were clearly not legally required to. They still aren't today, either.

Check your First Amendment there Mr. Peabody.

But I suppose it's progress of a sort that you've been forced to admit "Islam" isn't the monolith you tried to sell in your last post. Did you think nobody would notice that?

Smoke some more meth and pretend you're not a loon again; it's entertaining, especially since you're too stupid to notice.
The republicans have developed a bizarre amalgam of right-wing politics and a radical faction of the Christian faith that ignores Jesus entirely. These people aim to take away the individual right of all Americans to religious liberty. This movement must be stopped and the separation between church and state be affirmed and strengthened.

The trump/pence administration has dedicated itself to advancing this unpatriotic and authoritarian agenda and shoving it down the throats of all Americans. I am not a member of a religious group that is against birth control, abortion, and the civil rights of LGBTQs, and I totally reject the view that any level of government should be involved in these issues. These are matters that must be left up to individual decisionmaking. No one should be forced to live their personal lives according to the dictates of a religious group that s/he has not elected to join.

There is no right to demand that one never come into contact with those whom they don't like or to examine somebody else's sex life. Imagine if other people, maybe LGBTQs, start demanding that they never come into contact with members of these religions or that they have the right to refuse to serve members of these religions. These claims are absurd.

I think that I made myself perfectly clear. For your further clarification, though, I will explain that I believe that the word "secular," in this context, implies that no belief of any particular sect may be imposed by any level of government on citizens who adhere to other religious beliefs or don't have them. In other words, the government must remain neutral and not take sides in any theological conflict. To do otherwise would constitute an unconstitutional establishment of sectarian religion.

The trump administration openly favored a few religious sects at the expense of other Americans, even going as far as promulgating rules designed to subjugate our LGBT citizens to the hatred of some religious factions and to force female Americans to live under the yoke of these factions. We are supposed to be a free people.

The Rump administration also blatantly disfavored at least one religion, that being Islam.

Yup. They sure did. But apparently these yokels have decided that Islam is not a religion! But this is to be expected from people who don't think that any one can follow any Christian sect except for fundie. People who are too stupid to understand even the fact that the Christian faith is divided into many different denominations and factions can't be counted on to understand that other religions exist. I thought of not saying this, but I will put it out there: I remember when frankie graham went after Pete Buttigieg, who is not only a gay, married person, but also is an Episcopalian. Frankie doesn't know the difference. Why would he think that an Episcopalian would march to the tune of a Southern Baptist?

I was a history major and am very aware of what damage Christian sectarianism did in Europe. I also have a good friend, who addresses me as "Mama." He is a devout Muslim who has kept the fast of Ramadan for all the years that I have known him. Frustrated at not having a child, he joined the Haj, and now he has a beautiful four-year-old daughter. I guess the Supreme Being answered his prayers. There are many wonderful Muslims in my community, and met many when I was in Turkey as a teenager.

I guess I'm just sick of the sectarian garbage coming from fundie Christians. They have the right to their own, but so does everybody else.

They sure did. But apparently these yokels have decided that Islam is not a religion!

People who are too stupid to understand even the fact that the Christian faith is divided into many different denominations and factions can't be counted on to understand that other religions existv

I remember when frankie graham went after Pete Buttigieg, who is not only a gay, married person, but also is an Episcopalian.

You have a very flawed understanding of religion in general and Christianity in particular. I get it, you believe how you want to and what you want to. But ALL religions excepet for the New Agers have very specific tenets that must be adhered to to be a part of that religion. Islam is the single most exclusive religion in the world yet you defend it. You use the word "fundie", Islamic fundies will do one of 2 things, make you convert or die OR make you pay a tax to them for the "right" for you to retain your beliefs. It's called Jizzya.

It's a political ideology, a violent one that requires the subjugation and extinction of non-believers. That's why it isn't a 'religion' that should enjoy being protected by faux 'secularism'. The fact is only mentally ill sexual deviants and commie sociopaths think its 'equal' and that it should have the same protections as Christianity or Buddhism.

Actually it didn't originally; 9 of the 13 colonies had established sects and the establishment clause is clearly meant to apply to Christian sects, and while many states chose to tolerate outliers and crank cults they were clearly not legally required to. They still aren't today, either.

But I suppose it's progress of a sort that you've been forced to admit "Islam" isn't the monolith you tried to sell in your last post. Did you think nobody would notice that?

Smoke some more meth and pretend you're not a loon again; it's entertaining, especially since you're too stupid to notice.

No, no. POGO is the smartest little boi in the room, just ask him.

Yes. Cognitive dissonance is considered an asset among deviants.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the point stands, untouched. Better "luck" next time, assholes.

You don't HAVE a point kid.

Here's a batter called out on strikes and he wants to keep swinging at strike four.
UNreal.

"

A jew and an Atheist are leading this charge....the usual suspects. Wouldn't surprise me if Huffman is a Jew as well. Just more synagogue of satan attacks on traditional american values.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the point stands, untouched. Better "luck" next time, assholes.

Here's a batter called out on strikes and he wants to keep swinging at strike four.
UNreal.

Kid you just don't have what it takes.

Sure it does, it's right there on top of its head; the stupid Power Rangers helmet just covers it up, is all. Better than the Baron Munchhausen helmet it used to wear, though, that got stolen in it last court ordered stay in a mental institution.

Why are White Eurocentric Christian Nationalists paranoid and always whining that their religious liberty is under attack?

NotfooledbyW, post: 26050660 reply to 26046228

I read it. There is no attack on religious liberties. If you think there is an attack on religious liberties please define it.

Last edited:

Islam good, Christianity bad. Huh.

Islam evil. Christianity good. Yes.

I have no idea why that poster quoted me and then started talking like Phil Hartman's Frankenstein.

I asked, If you JustAGuy1 think there is an attack on religious liberties please define it.

You said “you did”

So, I have to guess that maybe this is it;

Work with Congress to incentivize states to increase their vaccination rates by repealing all nonmedical exemptions to mandatory vaccination for children in schools and day care centers.

Or is it one of these? Vaccinations. Perhaps the one about baking a cake.

What liberty is under attack? Selling Christian Cakes? Vaccinating Christian kids?

Where is your right to practice your religion infringed.

Or is the attack you think you are under defined in any these posts:

Too funny, yes they are, you're just too lazy to read the article AND the document.

Paula White (Rumps "pastor") is a Health and Wealth gospel heretic.

You read the paper itself then, not just the article? If you had you'd recognize it as the frontal assault it is.

I see no "distinction".....

^^^ Profound lack of Constitutional knowledge

You did, crystal clear but basically you just tried to turnit around to be about what you thought and NOT about the pointd the article actually made.

"cult" and "religion" are not mutually exclusive.

hat point did this article actually make? You just commented that somehow this was a "direct attack on religious liberties," which is a pile of horseshit.

Lie. It IS a direct assault and I went to their document posted 1 example.\\

Your religion is not entitled to special treatment, nor is it entitled to interfere with the rights of other Americans, regardless of their faith or lack thereof.

Never said it was and never claimed it could. My problem is with people like you, I don't care who or what you sleep with unless it isn't legal. As usual you are trying to turn this around, you can in no way interfere with our right to practice our religion.

The so-called "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" has been used aggressively to interfere with the rights of other Americans, but no religion has the right to do so.

Cite your sources, you're over your head here kid.

You're so full of crap. You either can't or didn't read the document.

Tell you what, you bang who you want and I'll not bake a cake for you.

It's only fair right?

I am a Christian and I agree.

Kid you just don't have what it takes.

I have no idea why that poster quoted me and then started talking like Phil Hartman's Frankenstein.
Oh, of course. This is the part where you play dumb.

The left is Christophobic.
Actually no. Not at all. But if your idea of a “Good Christian,” and the leader of your religious affairs office, is somebody like THIS, well then sure .... it gives me the cooties.

Asking congregations and the public for money to fund ministries is ther main method left to them, dumbass. If they use church properties to run businesses then you halfwits would snivel even louder, claiming they're using 'unfair advantages' n stuff'. You simply hate Xians because they stand in the way in unfettered mindless self-indulgence and kiddie raping, is all.

reply to 26046422
rise of Christian nationalism????? another myth like white supremacy

If white Eurocentric Christian Nationalism is a myth what is Trump promoting and promising to the Christians he pulled together in Iowa to help him win the Republican primary?

“I will tell you, Christianity is under tremendous siege, whether we want to talk about it or we don’t want to talk about it,” Mr. Trump said.​

Christians make up the overwhelming majority of the country, he said. And then he slowed slightly to stress each next word: “And yet we don’t exert the power that we should have.”​

If he were elected president, he promised, that would change. He raised a finger.​

“Christianity will have power,” he said. “If I’m there, you’re going to have plenty of power, you don’t need anybody else. You’re going to have somebody representing you very, very well. Remember that.”​

Trump was not offering spiritual power. He was offering political and governing power. He promised Nationalistic Power over non/Christians and Non/fundie/Christians.

reply to 26046422
rise of Christian nationalism????? another myth like white supremacy

If white Eurocentric Christian Nationalism is a myth what is Trump promoting and promising to the Christians he pulled together in Iowa to help him win the Republican primary?

“I will tell you, Christianity is under tremendous siege, whether we want to talk about it or we don’t want to talk about it,” Mr. Trump said.​

Christians make up the overwhelming majority of the country, he said. And then he slowed slightly to stress each next word: “And yet we don’t exert the power that we should have.”​

If he were elected president, he promised, that would change. He raised a finger.​

“Christianity will have power,” he said. “If I’m there, you’re going to have plenty of power, you don’t need anybody else. You’re going to have somebody representing you very, very well. Remember that.”​

Trump was not offering spiritual power. He was offering political and governing power. He promised Nationalistic Power over non/Christians and Non/fundie/Christians.
Paranoia.

Christian nationalism bad / American pluralism good- 26051812 reply to 26046458,

Not Christian nationalism!!!
You mean people that advocate continuing the values and principles that this nation was founded on?

How can you advocate continuing Christian values and principles while pushing the lie and myth that America was founded as a Christian Nation and is a Christian nation to the present day.

Christianity is a religion. Christian beliefs, values and principles such as the concept of original sin and salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ were not at all the basis from which America was founded.

Are you a white Eurocentric Christian Nationalist or a Christian who is uniquely American by acceptance of our pluralistic society and civility. .

I am an America who believes deeply in the sanctity of American pluralism. That includes recognition that Protestant Christianity is and has been the dominant religion in America since it was imported from Europe.over the hundred years ago.,I have respect for all religious people who have the same respect for my not-organized religion spiritual beliefs.

But I cannot respect Christian nationalists Primarily because I cannot respect their lie that America was founded as a a Christian nation.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back