CIA refuses to operate secret "BUSH" prisons

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
CIA ‘refused to operate’ Secret Jails
By Guy Dinmore in Washington
Published: September 20 2006 22:07 | Last updated: September 20 2006 22:07

The Bush administration had to empty its secret prisons and transfer terror suspects to the military-run detention centre at Guantánamo this month in part because CIA interrogators had refused to carry out further interrogations and run the secret facilities, according to former CIA officials and people close to the program.

The former officials said the CIA interrogators’ refusal was a factor in forcing the Bush administration to act earlier than it might have wished.
When Mr Bush announced the suspension of the secret prison program in a speech before the fifth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, some analysts thought he was trying to gain political momentum before the November midterm congressional elections.

The administration publicly explained its decision in light of the legal uncertainty surrounding permissible interrogation techniques following the June Supreme Court ruling that all terrorist suspects in detention were entitled to protection under Common Article Three of the Geneva Conventions.

But the former CIA officials said Mr Bush’s hand was forced because interrogators had refused to continue their work until the legal situation was clarified because they were concerned they could be prosecuted for using illegal techniques. One intelligence source also said the CIA had refused to keep the secret prisons going.

Senior officials and Mr Bush himself have come close to admitting this by saying CIA interrogators sought legal clarity. But no official has confirmed on the record how and when the secret program actually came to an end.
John Negroponte, director of national intelligence, who was interviewed by Fox News on Sunday, said in response to a question of whether CIA interrogators had refused to work: “I think the way I would answer you in regard to that question is that there’s been precious little activity of that kind for a number of months now, and certainly since the Supreme Court decision.”

In an interview with the Financial Times, John Bellinger, legal adviser to the state department, went further, saying there had been “very little operational activity” on CIA interrogations since the passage last December of a bill proposed by Senator John McCain outlawing torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Mr Bellinger said the secret prisons remained empty for the moment. But he defended the US position that use of such prisons did not contravene international conventions as some in Europe have argued. He also said that, theoretically, the Pentagon as well as the CIA had the legal right to run such facilities. The CIA declined to comment.

Key figures among the 14 prisoners transferred to Guantánamo, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, had been held in secret centres for three years or more.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/57e68ed8-48da-11db-a996-0000779e2340.html

And this from the ordinarilly ultra conservative Financial Times!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

You are SUCH an IDIOT to suggest that BUSH didn't authorize these aforementioned "secret prisons".

Creation? You don't know anything about it or you would immediately repent.

Psychoblues

You are SUCH an IDIOT if you think BUSH created "Prisons".

wow.

CIA ‘refused to operate’ Secret Jails
By Guy Dinmore in Washington
Published: September 20 2006 22:07 | Last updated: September 20 2006 22:07

The Bush administration had to empty its secret prisons and transfer terror suspects to the military-run detention centre at Guantánamo this month in part because CIA interrogators had refused to carry out further interrogations and run the secret facilities, according to former CIA officials and people close to the program.

The former officials said the CIA interrogators’ refusal was a factor in forcing the Bush administration to act earlier than it might have wished.
When Mr Bush announced the suspension of the secret prison program in a speech before the fifth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, some analysts thought he was trying to gain political momentum before the November midterm congressional elections.

The administration publicly explained its decision in light of the legal uncertainty surrounding permissible interrogation techniques following the June Supreme Court ruling that all terrorist suspects in detention were entitled to protection under Common Article Three of the Geneva Conventions.

But the former CIA officials said Mr Bush’s hand was forced because interrogators had refused to continue their work until the legal situation was clarified because they were concerned they could be prosecuted for using illegal techniques. One intelligence source also said the CIA had refused to keep the secret prisons going.

Senior officials and Mr Bush himself have come close to admitting this by saying CIA interrogators sought legal clarity. But no official has confirmed on the record how and when the secret program actually came to an end.
John Negroponte, director of national intelligence, who was interviewed by Fox News on Sunday, said in response to a question of whether CIA interrogators had refused to work: “I think the way I would answer you in regard to that question is that there’s been precious little activity of that kind for a number of months now, and certainly since the Supreme Court decision.”

In an interview with the Financial Times, John Bellinger, legal adviser to the state department, went further, saying there had been “very little operational activity” on CIA interrogations since the passage last December of a bill proposed by Senator John McCain outlawing torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Mr Bellinger said the secret prisons remained empty for the moment. But he defended the US position that use of such prisons did not contravene international conventions as some in Europe have argued. He also said that, theoretically, the Pentagon as well as the CIA had the legal right to run such facilities. The CIA declined to comment.

Key figures among the 14 prisoners transferred to Guantánamo, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, had been held in secret centres for three years or more.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/57e68ed8-48da-11db-a996-0000779e2340.html

And this from the ordinarilly ultra conservative Financial Times!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

If ya Google this Guy Dinmore fellow, he comes up leaning 45 degrees to the left.

Having said that, he's a pretty interesting read, and I can see why Psycho would choose to post one of his articles.

The problem? Its FICTION, entertaining reading, but would be filed in the fiction section of the local library.

Now, before you go getting all pissy, think this idea through.

On the one hand, you lefties say President Bush is stupid, couldn't fine his way home with a map. Now, on the other hand, you want to lay out this secret prison deal.

Let's just forget for the moment, that the CIA, the NSA, the FBI, the local police, or most any other agency COULDN'T, could not, work with the executive branch of our government in any kind of covert operation, it would be absolutely impossible. For one, too many people involved, another, they don't "play" well together.

I just had to laugh my ass off, when I saw this post, talk about something NOT being researched, and strictly being put out as a "hit piece".:slap:

Why exactly should this surprise you? The Supreme Court badly decided the Hamdan case so now there is a question of what is legal or not despite the fact that previous to the decision it was all legal. So President Bush wanted wants Congress to clarify whats legal and what is not.

All you are doing is showing that the Democrats efforts to erode the Executive Commander-in-Chief Power inherent in the Constitution is creating problems with knowing whats legal and now we have to waste time clarifying it when we could be getting intelligence from prisoners and saving American lives.

Thanks very much Democrats. If we get hit in this period of time because we couldnt interogate prisoners its all your fault.

The 9/11 Commission Report was very clear in stating that intelligence was seriously flawed. Now the Dems (and traitor GOPs) decide it's a great idea to limit ways in which we can obtain intelligence.
Damn good thing we wasted all THAT time and money.:rolleyes:

(but hey--it's psycho--what else can we expect? )

I don't speak for the terrorists. GWB is considered a terrorist by a population roughly double or maybe triple the population of the USA. I don't speak for GWB either. I speak as a generally free American and I hold my views as more accurate than I do the views of the playbook followers.

Psychoblues

I don't speak for the terrorists. GWB is considered a terrorist by a population roughly double or maybe triple the population of the USA. I don't speak for GWB either. I speak as a generally free American and I hold my views as more accurate than I do the views of the playbook followers.

Psychoblues

And you got these figures from where?

We certainly know that YOU don't speak for our president.

Its no surprise that you would fine your views more accurate than others, just as others fine your views those of a mad man.

Psychoblues

Psycho, no where in reality does the Democrat minority you are in which rabidly hates President Bush consist of a population of triple or even double the population of the United States.

You are "fine" with me, trobinett. I apologize if I get your panties in a wad.

The figures a commonly available. "Mad Man"? You fit the description.

Psychoblues

And you got these figures from where?

We certainly know that YOU don't speak for our president.

Its no surprise that you would fine your views more accurate than others, just as others fine your views those of a mad man.

Psychoblues

You speak out your ass, is about all you do. You wouldn't have a "clue" if someone spraypainted the word on the inside of your windshield.

The President of the United States doesn't remind me of a terrorist at all, and if he's a terrorist to those murderous scumbags you always let off the hook for their crimes, GOOD.

You however, are the very definition of a domestic terrorist. You just lack the balls to carry out any of your goofy ideas.

And damn, Mr Smarter Than Everyone Else .... learn how to use the quote function you illiterate bastard.

Yea Gunny, I read that response to me from Psycho, and thought WTF? Pushed away from the desk, and hopped on the old Hog. In five minutes I was out of town, and climbing into the Ozarks.

I KNOW why we fight terrorist, this is a beautiful country.:salute:

Forum List

Back