Christopher Columbus Statue Is To Be Removed From Chicago’s Grant Park

Just the beginning of collective repentance for the crimes of European settlers against Native American populations or a primitive "lightning rod" of the accumulated social protest?

I3AGRY6BQ5EI5NO6FUL5XGWKZE.jpg

Activists stand at South Columbus Drive and East Roosevelt Road near the Christopher Columbus statue on July 20, 2020 in Chicago. (Armando L. Sanchez / Chicago Tribune)

Mayor Lori Lightfoot is planning to remove the controversial statue of Christopher Columbus from Chicago’s Grant Park as soon as Thursday night, in part to avoid another high-profile confrontation between police and protesters like the one that happened last week.

Protesters marched downtown last Friday then headed into Grant Park where a group of individuals attempted to take down the statue, similar to what’s happened in other cities across the country.

Chaos followed the protest as officers and demonstrators clashed around the statue. At least 20 complaints of police brutality were filed against Chicago cops, including one involving activist Miracle Boyd, who said she was hit in the face by a police officer during the skirmish in Grant Park, knocking out at least one of her teeth.

Chicago's statues of Columbus have become a heated controversy for Lightfoot, who has rejected calls to bring down monuments honoring Columbus.
She also has rejected calls to rename the Columbus Day holiday.

When you give into the mob, they don't take the victory and leave, they find the next thing to rabble rouse about.
You mean like burning down federal courthouses?

Who burned down federal courthouses?

They set fires by it.

Rioters Set Fire to Federal Courthouse in Portland

Just the beginning of collective repentance for the crimes of European settlers against Native American populations or a primitive "lightning rod" of the accumulated social protest?

I3AGRY6BQ5EI5NO6FUL5XGWKZE.jpg

Activists stand at South Columbus Drive and East Roosevelt Road near the Christopher Columbus statue on July 20, 2020 in Chicago. (Armando L. Sanchez / Chicago Tribune)

Mayor Lori Lightfoot is planning to remove the controversial statue of Christopher Columbus from Chicago’s Grant Park as soon as Thursday night, in part to avoid another high-profile confrontation between police and protesters like the one that happened last week.

Protesters marched downtown last Friday then headed into Grant Park where a group of individuals attempted to take down the statue, similar to what’s happened in other cities across the country.

Chaos followed the protest as officers and demonstrators clashed around the statue. At least 20 complaints of police brutality were filed against Chicago cops, including one involving activist Miracle Boyd, who said she was hit in the face by a police officer during the skirmish in Grant Park, knocking out at least one of her teeth.

Chicago's statues of Columbus have become a heated controversy for Lightfoot, who has rejected calls to bring down monuments honoring Columbus.
She also has rejected calls to rename the Columbus Day holiday.

When you give into the mob, they don't take the victory and leave, they find the next thing to rabble rouse about.
You mean like burning down federal courthouses?

Who burned down federal courthouses?

Come on, Lakhota! Anarchists in Portland have been trying to torch the Federal Courthouse there for the past week! Do you not watch the news? Or is it only CNN?

Funny. That's what Trump and Barr would like us to believe.
You really don't know that's happening...do you? Unbelievable...

It knows exactly what is happening, it just plays the denial game because it know the optics are bad, but it wants the results from the action.

All part of Lakhota's Marxist vanguard jerk off fantasy.

Columbus is the biggest fraud in history. He didn’t even discover America and thought he was 6,000 miles further west in India. All his statues should be pulled down for being a screw up. In addition he did commit mass murder which I know doesn’t bother this board since the victims had dark skin.

Columbus is the biggest fraud in history. He didn’t even discover America and thought he was 6,000 miles further west in India. All his statues should be pulled down for being a screw up. In addition he did commit mass murder which I know doesn’t bother this board since the victims had dark skin.

Jeebus, what ignorance.

Columbus set out for a quick route to India, he ended up finding land where no one thought there was any. He went back 3 more times to confirm it.

As for Mass Murder, what tribes did he wipe out? What forces did he use to do this?

Jeebus, what ignorance.

Columbus set out for a quick route to India, he ended up finding land where no one thought there was any. He went back 3 more times to confirm it.

As for Mass Murder, what tribes did he wipe out? What forces did he use to do this?
I believe your ignorance comment was a warning for what you were about to post. There is no debate on the cruelty and genocide of Columbus and his men. Read up on the Arawaks if you must. The dismiss is usually around saying “that was just the times.” But denial is anti intellectual.

As for my main comment. He never discovered America and had no idea where he was. The fact is he accidentally landed in the Caribbean and never stepped foot in North America.

Jeebus, what ignorance.

I believe your ignorance comment was a warning for what you were about to post. There is no debate on the cruelty and genocide of Columbus and his men. Read up on the Arawaks if you must. The dismiss is usually around saying “that was just the times.” But denial is anti intellectual.

As for my main comment. He never discovered America and had no idea where he was. The fact is he accidentally landed in the Caribbean and never stepped foot in North America.

Genocide is for the large scale destruction or attempted destruction of a given race. That wasn't genocide.

And considering how violent tribes were against each other, the only difference with the Europeans was technological supremacy (not even superiority).

He figured it out as he went along. Most of the Islands of Caribbean are part of North America, not South America, so your statement is wrong factually.

Revisionist history and morality is pathetic, you SJW asshat.

Forum List

Back