Christmas and my school

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Today, we had to work on a worksheet in my English class. My teacher thought it would be a nice gesture to put on some Christmas music while we worked.

I'm just here to say, that I am ok, the sky is still in the air, I dont feel hatred toward aethiests, I'm not offended, I dont suddenly feel narrow-minded and theocratic. In fact, the warming music made me think a lot clearer.

Just letting everyone know that I listened to Christmas music in school, and I am ok.

Today, we had to work on a worksheet in my English class. My teacher thought it would be a nice gesture to put on some Christmas music while we worked.

I'm just here to say, that I am ok, the sky is still in the air, I dont feel hatred toward aethiests, I'm not offended, I dont suddenly feel narrow-minded and theocratic. In fact, the warming music made me think a lot clearer.

Just letting everyone know that I listened to Christmas music in school, and I am ok.

Whew! Thank God, uh, I mean, the mother earth goddess, that you are okay. For a minute there, I thought we were going to have to reprogram your brainwashed head.

Bleh, Christmas music sucks. I'd be pissed if I had to listen to it while I worked. Oh, wait, I do.

Bah, humbug.

Bleh, Christmas music sucks. I'd be pissed if I had to listen to it while I worked. Oh, wait, I do.

Bah, humbug.

I was feeling that way, listening to the same old tired artists' versions. It's hard for me to get in excited over Elivis, Bing Crosby and (gasp) Madonna. Then I discovered that Chistmas music by Christian artists had a genuine feeling to it, that made the songs and the lyrics meaningful and almost like new. Christian artists singing about the birth of Christ- a match made in Heaven, so to speak.

Well I just got from my son's HS Christmas concert. Emphasis on Christmas. Yes, a public school. They played all the classics. Not even jingle bells, but the real stuff. The chior was excellent- I almost shed a tear.

I think this Christmas has proven beyond a doubt that the whole "death of Christmas" scare of the past couple years was nothing more than that: a scare from the media. Sure, there were isolated incidents of Christmas being "banned" if you want to call it that, but nobody can argue that Christmas is EVERYWHERE and has been for going on two, three months now. Of course, now, instead of being "in danger", Christmas is just becoming a marketing tool, so it's not like things are better.

I think this Christmas has proven beyond a doubt that the whole "death of Christmas" scare of the past couple years was nothing more than that: a scare from the media. Sure, there were isolated incidents of Christmas being "banned" if you want to call it that, but nobody can argue that Christmas is EVERYWHERE and has been for going on two, three months now. Of course, now, instead of being "in danger", Christmas is just becoming a marketing tool, so it's not like things are better.
It's been a marketing tool for as long as I can personally remember, and as a Catholic I am adament about keeping Christ in Christmas. But I rather see Christmas at Macys or WalMart than banned.

Since 2001 I've had a red-white-blue tree lit up in my front yard, but this year we're much more sedate.

I love Christmas music when I'm not exposed to it too much. But working at Bath and Body Works as well as Toys "R" Us means I'm gonna be forced to listen to a LOT of it. I only cringe when Feliz Navidad plays.

Well I just got from my son's HS Christmas concert. Emphasis on Christmas. Yes, a public school. They played all the classics. Not even jingle bells, but the real stuff. The chior was excellent- I almost shed a tear.

My daughter graduated from a public high school in 2000, she was always in choir, (2 high schools). In both they sung Ave Maria, O Holy Night, and other difficult hymns. They also sung some other pieces, but the schools had a firm grip on what was ok and what was not. I think to a large degree the educational base of the parents make a difference in how the schools address the quandry.

By choice I've lived in areas, (college towns), that have an over 85% rate of college grads as homeowners. They get 'laws' and nuances. They understand separation and establishment. They understand tradition and equivalency.

These are not necessarily overly conservative areas, though they probably tend towards GOP, they are not however about to bow to those that want to overturn Judeo-Christian ethics.

By choice I've lived in areas, (college towns), that have an over 85% rate of college grads as homeowners. They get 'laws' and nuances. They understand separation and establishment. They understand tradition and equivalency.

These are not necessarily overly conservative areas, though they probably tend towards GOP, they are not however about to bow to those that want to overturn Judeo-Christian ethics.
That's very interesting. I've found that most college towns that I've known personally have been ovewhelmingly liberal. In fact, when we moved south from NY several years ago, we used a selection process that purposedly excluded "college towns".

Forum List

Back