Christie: Don't let offset debate tie up disaster aid

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
It seems that NJ gov Christie disagrees with Cantor's stance on disaster relief funds. I can only assume that he will now be shunned by the Rep base and labeled a commie-liberal.

Christie to Congress: Don't let offset debate tie up disaster aid - The Hill's Floor Action

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R) said Wednesday that Congress should quickly disburse disaster relief so states can cope with the damage caused by Hurricane Irene, and not tie that relief up in a debate over how to offset the estimated billions of dollars that New Jersey and other Atlantic coast states are seeking.

"We don't have time to wait for folks in Congress to figure out how they want to offset this stuff with the budget cuts," Christie said Wednesday, as reported by NorthJersey.com. "Nobody was talking about off-setting budget cuts in Joplin," he added, referencing a tornado that hit Missouri earlier this year.

Christie's comments go against those made by several House Republicans, who argue that any Irene relief aid needs to be offset with spending reductions. Rep. Scott Garrett (R-NJ) is one of these Republicans, but Christie called on him and others to think of New Jersey residents first.

"I would urge all my colleagues in the New Jersey delegation, doesn't matter which party you are in, and all the rest of the folks in Congress," he said. "I don't want to hear about the fact that offsetting budget cuts have to come first, before New Jersey citizens are taken care of."

Cantor thinks disastors should be planned better.

He is a walking disastor and he planned his life that way

Christie is wrong. Republicans were talking about EXACTLY that right after Joplin.

Republicans don't seem to have a fucking clue the damage their party is working to create behind the scenes.

Glad he ain't running for President =D We might end up with another Bushbama.

We should just stop the Government fom stealing the money from the people so we can take care of ourselves IMO.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back