CDZ Christian wedding photographer sues-NY over nondiscrimination law

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
This case is a bit different than the others, because NY's law is far more invasive than the others being enforced in other States.

Christian wedding photographer sues NY over nondiscrimination law

Emilee Carpenter filed a lawsuit against New York attorney general Letitia James (D.) over state nondiscrimination statutes that Carpenter said compel her to violate her religious beliefs about traditional marriage by making her publicize photos of same-sex weddings on her website. The laws require her to create photograph collections on her website celebrating same-sex weddings because she celebrates opposite-sex weddings. Violating the laws could result in tens of thousands of dollars in fines, the state taking away her business license, or even jail time.

The statutes also forbid Carpenter from publishing any sort of editorial stance explaining her religious beliefs about marriage on her website. Carpenter said in an interview that her beliefs are inseparable from her work as a wedding photographer and that the laws are violating her First Amendment rights.

“My faith has been really integral to me as a person but also to my business and the way I operate it and the artwork I create,” Carpenter said. “My faith is really the lens through which I view my art.”

So not only does she have to photograph the weddings OR ELSE, she has to post pictures from said SSM ceremonies on her website OR ELSE, and cannot post anything about her religious beliefs on the matter OR ELSE.

This case is a bit different than the others, because NY's law is far more invasive than the others being enforced in other States.

Emilee Carpenter filed a lawsuit against New York attorney general Letitia James (D.) over state nondiscrimination statutes that Carpenter said compel her to violate her religious beliefs about traditional marriage by making her publicize photos of same-sex weddings on her website. The laws require her to create photograph collections on her website celebrating same-sex weddings because she celebrates opposite-sex weddings. Violating the laws could result in tens of thousands of dollars in fines, the state taking away her business license, or even jail time.

The statutes also forbid Carpenter from publishing any sort of editorial stance explaining her religious beliefs about marriage on her website. Carpenter said in an interview that her beliefs are inseparable from her work as a wedding photographer and that the laws are violating her First Amendment rights.

“My faith has been really integral to me as a person but also to my business and the way I operate it and the artwork I create,” Carpenter said. “My faith is really the lens through which I view my art.”

So not only does she have to photograph the weddings OR ELSE, she has to post pictures from said SSM ceremonies on her website OR ELSE, and cannot post anything about her religious beliefs on the matter OR ELSE.
NY will lose this one. The morons don't have any sense.

Well the issues is she wants to post "no same sex wedding policy" on her website. So the issue appears what she wants to post and not they are wanting her to post same sex wedding pictures.

I would say that there is no need for her to post such a policy. It is discrimination. Does she have the right to refuse to accept a job from a same sex couple. In my opinion yes. She could overcharge them or just tell them that it is a problem for her because of her beliefs. I cannot believe anyone who is planning a wedding would not just walk away from her business. They are not going to try and maker her do it.

It seems they are trying to frame the argument in such a way that it sounds really bad

Well the issues is she wants to post "no same sex wedding policy" on her website. So the issue appears what she wants to post and not they are wanting her to post same sex wedding pictures.

I would say that there is no need for her to post such a policy. It is discrimination. Does she have the right to refuse to accept a job from a same sex couple. In my opinion yes. She could overcharge them or just tell them that it is a problem for her because of her beliefs. I cannot believe anyone who is planning a wedding would not just walk away from her business. They are not going to try and maker her do it.

It seems they are trying to frame the argument in such a way that it sounds really bad
I believe the lady has and continues to photograph same sex weddings--she just doesn't want to put those photos on her website. She has the right to use any advertising photos she wants. NY will lose this one. I hope the photographer gets rich off of the lawsuit.

I believe the lady has and continues to photograph same sex weddings--she just doesn't want to put those photos on her website. She has the right to use any advertising photos she wants. NY will lose this one. I hope the photographer gets rich off of the lawsuit.

I believe she does not do same sex weddings photographs as that is being a hypocrite if she claims that it is a religious thing.

Still I read another story that frames it in another way other than the story the OP uses. It really does not make sense that the state is going to make her post same sex wedding pictures. There is more to the story.

They just want to overturn the law and with a stacked supreme court it looks promising to them.

They have made others do it "or else" in other cases.

NY's law is more than likely far more restrictive because NY is currently 100% controlled by progressives.

So where are the laws forbidding discrimination against christians? Photographers? No one will ever tell me what I can shoot or how to present it. I'd leave the business first, or the state.

We seem to be way beyond the point when LGBTQ asked to be "tolerated."

Now, we're required to participate.
Participating isn't even enough. You must advertise your approval and participation.

New York should be thrown out of court and pay damages to the photographer
Critical Race Theory becomes Critical Gender Theory--the trouble is "theory" is just that, not fact.

Better to be on offense than defense.

So where are the laws forbidding discrimination against christians? Photographers? No one will ever tell me what I can shoot or how to present it. I'd leave the business first, or the state.

The whole point is you shouldn't have to leave the business, or the State.

Forum List

Back