Christian Mystics

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
"Mysticism, according to its historical and psychological definitions, is the direct intuition or experience of God; and a mystic is a person who has, to a greater or less degree, such a direct experience -- one whose religion and life are centered, not merely on an accepted belief or practice, but on that which the person regards as first hand personal knowledge."

-Evelyn Underhill

The qualities that mark the Christian mystic includes devotion to Christ, being humble and without spiritual pride, refraining from judgment and trusting that God speaks to the heart of each person in a way and time of God's choosing.

Last edited:
Then according to that definition, then everyone in my Church is a mystic. In fact, I'd argue that if you believe in the Bible you'd have to be a Christian Mystic according to that definition. Because the Bible teaches a personal God we can commune with.

"Mysticism, according to its historical and psychological definitions, is the direct intuition or experience of God; and a mystic is a person who has, to a greater or less degree, such a direct experience -- one whose religion and life are centered, not merely on an accepted belief or practice, but on that which the person regards as first hand personal knowledge."

-Evelyn Underhill

The qualities that mark the Christian mystic includes devotion to Christ, being humble and without spiritual pride, refraining from judgment and trusting that God speaks to the heart of each person in a way and time of God's choosing.

Do you have to stick everyone into a box you define?

-Evelyn Underhill

You do realize you are also defining every freak nut case out there? Nothing mystic about it.

Lots and lots of Christians are into magical thinking.

We see this on this board nearly daily.

• Banned

-Evelyn Underhill

You do realize you are also defining every freak nut case out there? Nothing mystic about it.

Mystics find truth in experience, not dogma. Being humble, refraining from judgment. Seems pretty sane to me. I'm ordering a book called Wisdom Jesus.

Last edited:
Mysticism can be turned into a vicious excuse for the most evil deeds from one man to another... so it really is necessary to perhaps keep one's own depths to one's self. Mysticism is not unbiblical, contrary to common belief. Life was referred to as vapor... and the vanity of vanities... We were meant to become judge of ourselves, to seek things out both within and without. Many things without will not come until certain depths are reached within. Sometimes it is the most spiritually strict that best define societies. It is almost made one of the more valid points in spiritual hierarchy. This may be the reason that religion is one of the most important factors of any successful rule over land.

Last edited:

-Evelyn Underhill

Mystics find truth in experience, not dogma. Being humble, refraining from judgment. Seems pretty sane to me. I'm ordering a book called Wisdom Jesus.

But what is humility? And conversely what is it's opposite pride?

Now that might be an interesting discussion to have.

But what is humility? And conversely what is it's opposite pride?

Now that might be an interesting discussion to have.

And what is "pure non-egoic pride"?

Forum List

Back