Children left in hot car Die while Mother works a double

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
Story Highlights

After sitter canceled, mother left 2 children in hot car with fans, food, drinks
She worked 8 hours, then she said she had to leave due to child-care issues
A day later, police found her at her apartment wailing, "Oh, my babies!"
The children's bodies, bathed and dressed, were found wrapped in trash bags

According to her employer, she didn't tell the supervisor or a co-worker that for all that time, she had left her 1-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son in her Chevy Cavalier hatchback, parked on a residential street.

She had left Triniti and Shawn with battery-powered fans, food and drinks, but it was not nearly enough to combat the sweltering conditions inside. She later told relatives that when she got to the car at 11:30 p.m., the children were unconscious and had weak pulses.

A day later, police found her at her apartment wailing, "Oh, my babies!"

Officers said in a police report that she tried to kick and bite them and asked them to kill her. The bodies of the children, bathed and dressed, were found wrapped in trash bags and stuffed under the sink.

Her lawyer, Andy Savage, said he hopes a mental evaluation will shed light on what happened.

"Neighbors see her as a great mother. This isn't a woman who beat her kids," he said. "Suppose she went to work that night and left them at home. Would that have been better?"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/04/toddlers.carolina.ap/index.html

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with people? who in the fuck would leave a 1 and a 4 year old in a car while they worked a double? Common sense has to kick in somewhere.

The statement the Attorney made wasn't any better.

This issue comes up every year in Vegas.

Every year in spring I find myself searching the cars I pass visually for signs of Dogs or Kids or even the elderly sitting in cars.

I have mentioned it to people who I see getting out of a car with the same in them.

People and animals die every year here.

This issue comes up every year in Vegas.

Every year in spring I find myself searching the cars I pass visually for signs of Dogs or Kids or even the elderly sitting in cars.

I have mentioned it to people who I see getting out of a car with the same in them.

People and animals die every year here.

I know, I lived in Vegas for a while. I worked at Wet N' Wild.

This is one of the most disheartening stories! I've tried to avoid it! Ive been channel flipping, every time it came on the 24/7 news... just by the headline, I knew it would break my heart to hear it!!! :(

I WANT to just slap this woman, for doing what she did, or for not knowing enough, about how dangerous it was...

But her own punishment, self inflicted punishment, is so much worse than anything I could have done to her.

She will forever, be without, her own children....and yes Nevada, she probably loved them and probably was a good, loving mother, and probably did not forsee the consequences that ended up taking place....

It's a sad day indeed.

This happens all the time , she really thought it would be OK.

You would be amazed how quikly they die in these situtations.

They go to sleep and then die.

At least it is not extrememly painfull.

The really sad part is if she had taken them to a hospital they may have made it.

This is were the intent part of laws make alot of sense.

This happens all the time , she really thought it would be OK.

You would be amazed how quikly they die in these situtations.

They go to sleep and then die.

At least it is not extrememly painfull.

The really sad part is if she had taken them to a hospital they may have made it.

This is were the intent part of laws make alot of sense.

You think she had intent to kill her kids?

I think the one who forgot her child deserves or pity. This one... Well she choose to leave her children in the car. Didn't get them medical help when she got to the car and found them with 'thready pulse', instead choosing to head home. It's all around a case of extremely bad parenting.

No I think she had no intent on killing her kids.

I think she was a mother with no options and had to go to work and htought food ,water ad fans would be enough.

I think she went into shock when she realised it wasnt enough and acted irrationally after that point.

I think she was just in the need of a little help in making ends meet.

No I think she had no intent on killing her kids.

I think she was a mother with no options and had to go to work and htought food ,water ad fans would be enough.

I think she went into shock when she realised it wasnt enough and acted irrationally after that point.

I think she was just in the need of a little help in making ends meet.

I wonder where Daddy was?

You think she had intent to kill her kids?

I think what TM means about intent in laws is that she should/would not be treated as severely under the law as someone who intentionally tried to kill their children.

This is one of the most disheartening stories! I've tried to avoid it! Ive been channel flipping, every time it came on the 24/7 news... just by the headline, I knew it would break my heart to hear it!!! :(

I WANT to just slap this woman, for doing what she did, or for not knowing enough, about how dangerous it was...

But her own punishment, self inflicted punishment, is so much worse than anything I could have done to her.

She will forever, be without, her own children....and yes Nevada, she probably loved them and probably was a good, loving mother, and probably did not forsee the consequences that ended up taking place....

It's a sad day indeed.

What I don't get is she parked on a Residential street for 8 hours. You know people walked and drove by. Why didn't they do something or call the police or 911? I mean a 1 and a 4 year old alone in a car that not running, hell even if it's running it's suspicious. I know I would have dialed 911 then popped one of the windows and got the kids out until the cops and the Ambulance came.

I wonder where Daddy was?

She was clearly unfit to be a parent. She knew this thats why she put her other two children up for adoption. Even if she is in a bad situation common sense has to kick in sometime Jesus Christ, I would never leave my daughter in the car for a minute even if it was running let alone eight hours.

HANAHAN, South Carolina (AP) -- Sametta Heyward was in a bind. The single mother was scheduled to start a double shift at 3 p.m., and her baby sitter had just canceled.

"She was either told to come to work or be fired, or she was afraid to call in sick -- one of those things," said police Lt. Michael Fowler.

She made it to her job at a county-run group home July 29, a typically warm summer day. After eight hours, she called a supervisor and said she had to leave because of child-care issues.

According to her employer, she didn't tell the supervisor or a co-worker that for all that time, she had left her 1-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son in her Chevy Cavalier hatchback, parked on a residential street.

She had left Triniti and Shawn with battery-powered fans, food and drinks, but it was not nearly enough to combat the sweltering conditions inside. She later told relatives that when she got to the car at 11:30 p.m., the children were unconscious and had weak pulse

This is a good example of why we should have universal, subsidized day care for infants and children. So parents don't have to choose between being fired, or taking care of their children. In countries like Sweden, Norway, and Denmark they don't even bother to debate whether they should have universal, subsidized day care for everyone - rich and poor. Its not even an issue. Its just an integral part of their nation's child policies. The only debate they have, is how to make it better.

I think the mother should sue the car maker, there should be a WARNING STICKER: LEAVING CHILDREN, ANIMALS, INFANTS, TODDLERS, PUPPIES, CALVES, PONIES, KITTENS, ETC., IN THIS CAR UNINTENDED AS IT MAY BE HARMFUL OR CAUSE DEATH.

Since there was no obvious warning, owner's manual is just NOT enough, she really should call John Edwards, pronto!

Forum List

Back