Child labor laws

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
I'm not an expert on the subject, but as far as I'm aware of, a child participating in school sports isn't considered a violation of child labor laws.

"Forcing a child" to work is one thing, but if a child wished to do so voluntarily, I'm curious what the thoughts on this would be.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but as far as I'm aware of, a child participating in school sports isn't considered a violation of child labor laws.

"Forcing a child" to work is one thing, but if a child wished to do so voluntarily, I'm curious what the thoughts on this would be.

What event prompts the question?

This should be in education.

We really need to do away with child labor laws, they add to the welfare state, these kids need to grow up knowing what capital does to human life at an early age.

• Banned

Do you know anything of their history? Or the difference between child labor laws and participation in sports, child acting, and other endeavors?

Do you know anything of their history? Or the difference between child labor laws and participation in sports, child acting, and other endeavors?

I do. I don't know what you're getting at. You've left something out.

Generally it is beneficial for young people to learn how to work by doing it but they should never be put in a situation where they have to work. We have child labor laws because of adults abusing them for cheap labor.

Generally it is beneficial for young people to learn how to work by doing it but they should never be put in a situation where they have to work. We have child labor laws because of adults abusing them for cheap labor.
Capital will always abuse labor left to its own devices.

I have no idea why you posed such a question for general discussion. Would you believe what anonymous posters tell you about the law? You have no idea whatsoever regarding the qualifications of those who answer your question; therefore, unless a poster gives you links to the applicable Federal and State statutes you will have learned nothing.

I am an 80-year old man with a doctorate in law (I also have an MBA). I know the law but I have neither the time nor the inclination to bring you up to my level. I suggest that you consult an attorney if you have a particular problem with someone you believe might be affected by these laws. If you merely want to know more about the laws, the Internet is your friend. For an introduction to Federal laws, Start here:

Youth and Labor | U.S. Department of Labor

Capital will always abuse labor left to its own devices.
You are a consumer. You purchase many products made overseas. Products made cheaply. A percentage of those employees in over seas sweat shops are children by our standards. Talk is cheap for us all.

What does participation in school sports have to do with labor?

It's a form of work, or mental and physical exertion.

Football and Wrestling practice can be far more physically demanding and dangerous than working in many factory conditions. The only adults that can coerce children into either are their parents.

Football and Wrestling practice can be far more physically demanding and dangerous than working in many factory conditions. The only adults that can coerce children into either are their parents.
Right, I'm curious how "coercion" is defined in regards to children participating in sports, acting, etc or what the fine line there is in regards to child labor.

Right, I'm curious how "coercion" is defined in regards to children participating in sports, acting, etc or what the fine line there is in regards to child labor.

The coercion would be defined the same for sports as for work. There is no distinction between them in that regard. Parents want a son to work and he doesn't want to, they would do the same thing as if they wanted him to play sports and he doesn't want to. Perhaps they paddle him until he acquiesces. Perhaps they give him a dirty look or maybe they bribe him with gifts.

Forum List

Back