Chicken coop is done...

Chickens are a gateway animal. Before you know it you will have goats, ducks and turkeys.
Yeah...there's already talk of goats.

I worked as a goatherd for about 2.5 years here in Atlanta. They are amazing animals. Smart as hell too.
My grandmother kept goats. I didn't have to cut grass in her yard. One time she had a little billy and he wouldn't butt anyone but me and my red bone hound. That little bastard would wait in ambush for either of us. He would butt me in the hip or butt. After a couple months of this I carried a softball bat in the yard. The first time he came at me and just as he launched himself at me I turned around and when he lowered his head I caught him right on his horns. He lay there stunned for a minute, got up stunned, shook his head a few times and wandered off. That was the last time he ever tried to butt me. He still went after the dog though until my grandmother sold him.

Goats will head butt like crazy, but mostly each other. I only got butted twice in 2.5 years. One was a buck the guy kept for breeding. Not that big, but he was coming off the porch of an abandoned house and hit me in the chest. I went down like a ton of bricks. The other was the biggest goat I've seen. Not a hard butt. He was just trying to be the boss. I grabbed him by the ears (horns had been removed) and butted him back to show him I was bigger. Glad he decided not to fight.

There is a YouTube video of a goat and a cow ramming each other full force. Both went down, but the goat was up a lot quicker than the cow.

Chickens are a gateway animal. Before you know it you will have goats, ducks and turkeys.

I worked as a goatherd for about 2.5 years here in Atlanta. They are amazing animals. Smart as hell too.
My grandmother kept goats. I didn't have to cut grass in her yard. One time she had a little billy and he wouldn't butt anyone but me and my red bone hound. That little bastard would wait in ambush for either of us. He would butt me in the hip or butt. After a couple months of this I carried a softball bat in the yard. The first time he came at me and just as he launched himself at me I turned around and when he lowered his head I caught him right on his horns. He lay there stunned for a minute, got up stunned, shook his head a few times and wandered off. That was the last time he ever tried to butt me. He still went after the dog though until my grandmother sold him.

Goats will head butt like crazy, but mostly each other. I only got butted twice in 2.5 years. One was a buck the guy kept for breeding. Not that big, but he was coming off the porch of an abandoned house and hit me in the chest. I went down like a ton of bricks. The other was the biggest goat I've seen. Not a hard butt. He was just trying to be the boss. I grabbed him by the ears (horns had been removed) and butted him back to show him I was bigger. Glad he decided not to fight.

There is a YouTube video of a goat and a cow ramming each other full force. Both went down, but the goat was up a lot quicker than the cow.

Just goes to show that being designed to head butt overcomes size.

Ol' Billy was slow getting up too. Bossy was out cold.

20201120_141858.jpg

20201120_144921.jpg

20201120_150727.jpg

20201120_152557.jpg

20201120_152935.jpg

Last piece.

View attachment 416793View attachment 416794View attachment 416795View attachment 416796
View attachment 416799
View attachment 416798
View attachment 416803

View attachment 416800View attachment 416801View attachment 416802

Believe it or not this 4x8x4.5 foot coop cost almost $400 in materials, not including the base which was scrap and leftover.

Chickens are all but full grown now, outgrew the little coop. At least four of the ten are laying now.

Wife wants a rooster...I'm not so sure.

Installed an automatic door on the new coop so the cold early mornings of winter the chickens won't need personal attention at O-dawn-30.

The self adhesive rolled roofing was a blessing. Had it unrolled, cut, laid and in less than an hour and a half. We had a pretty severe storm last night with no damage or leaks.

Good stuff...

I need one of those for my mongo indoor cat that insists on being taken out in the back yard on a leash..
I wish I could get ours to use a leash. Before I let em out have to make sure no other cats or rabbits are around unless I want to spend an hr tracking em down. One is so stealthy he slips out as you come in, Got locked out once in a rain storm all nite, other time we found him by the back door pawing on it to get in.

See if you can the cat into a harness. THey take to it pretty well if you have patience..

My neighbor and his daughter walk their cat in a harness. Drives my dogs crazy!
We had a cat that went for walks with my wife and the dog. No harness was needed. In fact that's how the cat adopted us. He was a feral stay that just showed up and started accompanying my wife and the dog on their afternoon walk. Soon enough he'd moved in on us. It became spoiled as hell too.

Forum List

Back