Cheap freaking bastards

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I hate modern corporations and their infinite ways to squeeze profits while screwing over their customers in the process.
FUCK!
I buy my mother a new laptop. Her old desktop gave up the ghost finally.
That was about a month ago.
She calls me and says it won't connect to the internet.
So I go to reconnect...wait what... it's like there is no WiFi interface in the laptop. Okaaaay.
So I reset the network devices... and it's back. Weird...
She calls a half hour later...same damn thing. Probably a freaking Windows update that has fucked up the software.
We leave tomorrow to go on vacation... so I tell Mom she will have to use the ethernet cable till I get back.
WTF????...
Where is the ethernet port???
There is none!!!.... what????
So I Google this shit... YEP!!... laptop makers dropped the ethernet port in favor of YOU having to buy a freaking adapter to use the HDMI port.
God I hate corporations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yep keep telling your self that lol. When I get their boats in for repair or gas them up you should see the women they typically have with them.

I hate modern corporations and their infinite ways to squeeze profits while screwing over their customers in the process.
FUCK!
We leave tomorrow to go on vacation... so I tell Mom she will have to use the ethernet cable till I get back.
WTF????...
So I Google this shit... YEP!!... laptop makers dropped the ethernet port in favor of YOU having to buy a freaking adapter to use the HDMI port.

Most likely, the machine needs a driver update for the wireless board in the computer. A quick trip to the Intel site and their system scan app will probably show the available updated drivers.
I won't disagree that some companies put profit well ahead of service but then again most of the computer makers, outside of Apple, operate on thin margins. You buy a $400 budget laptop and you get the features of a $400 laptop. Ports. drives, etc have been disappearing off computers for years. It's a natural progression. My first PC came with 5.25 inch floppy drives and two RS-232 serial ports - don't see many machines today with those. With just about everyone wanting Wi-Fi and a small form factor in a laptop, adding an RJ-45 jack to the side is not a lucrative option, Thin machines don't have the space.
Everything is transitioning to USB-C or Thunderbolt 4 ports. They are small and fit the trend of thinner is better. Those ports offer expansion for wired ethernet, 4K monitors, additional drives, etc. Most of these adapters are $20 or $30 dollars - maybe that's expensive to new users, but a bargain to someone who has been in it for 40+ years and who paid $50 in 1982 for a parallel printer port.

Buyer beware - don't assume a certain PC has this option or that option - examine the specs and buy what you need.

Cheers

FUCK!
So I go to reconnect...wait what... it's like there is no WiFi interface in the laptop. Okaaaay.
So I reset the network devices... and it's back. Weird...
She calls a half hour later...same damn thing. Probably a freaking Windows update that has fucked up the software.
WTF????...

My other half's computer keeps losing internet connection. It has something to do with using the printer, so if she wants to print, she knows she'll probably lose the internet. Though it's mostly sorted, but it took a long time trawling the internet looking for different solutions.

Most likely, the machine needs a driver update for the wireless board in the computer. A quick trip to the Intel site and their system scan app will probably show the available updated drivers.
I won't disagree that some companies put profit well ahead of service but then again most of the computer makers, outside of Apple, operate on thin margins. You buy a $400 budget laptop and you get the features of a $400 laptop. Ports. drives, etc have been disappearing off computers for years. It's a natural progression. My first PC came with 5.25 inch floppy drives and two RS-232 serial ports - don't see many machines today with those. With just about everyone wanting Wi-Fi and a small form factor in a laptop, adding an RJ-45 jack to the side is not a lucrative option, Thin machines don't have the space.
Everything is transitioning to USB-C or Thunderbolt 4 ports. They are small and fit the trend of thinner is better. Those ports offer expansion for wired ethernet, 4K monitors, additional drives, etc. Most of these adapters are $20 or $30 dollars - maybe that's expensive to new users, but a bargain to someone who has been in it for 40+ years and who paid $50 in 1982 for a parallel printer port.

Buyer beware - don't assume a certain PC has this option or that option - examine the specs and buy what you need.

Cheers
Wasn't a $400 laptop. I never buy the low-low end.
I think it was $680, I wanted to be sure she got an SDD and reasonable processor. All she does is email and look at pictures people send her.
It didn't even occur to me there would be no ethernet port.
Highly likely, since it worked fine for first month, that a Windows update is conflicting with the driver.
Basically - if the laptop goes to sleep the wifi interface simply vanishes. A restart will do nothing. You have to reset the network, then restart and there it will be.

Wasn't a $400 laptop. I never buy the low-low end.
I think it was $680, I wanted to be sure she got an SDD and reasonable processor. All she does is email and look at pictures people send her.
It didn't even occur to me there would be no ethernet port.
Highly likely, since it worked fine for first month, that a Windows update is conflicting with the driver.
Basically - if the laptop goes to sleep the wifi interface simply vanishes. A restart will do nothing. You have to reset the network, then restart and there it will be.
Let me suggest one thing - that is if she doesn't need to run on the battery. Go in and set up a power profile where nothing goes to sleep or powers down, etc. I go so far as to go into Device Manager and make sure my USB ports never power off. After 4 decades, going into Sleep mode is still hit or miss. I've been disabling on every machine I've had since the 80s.
Good luck
Cheers

Forum List

Back