Cheap diamond sharpening stones...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...do they work?

I ordered some of these today after a 400 grit whetstone did little. Going to do just what Outdoors55 did and reback them with something more stable.

They were $10 in the video...$13 today on Amazon...link in the video discription.

What do ya think?

They work fine. I have a set from harbor freight that goes to 600. Keep it in the kitchen and all my knives will shave.

Only diamond plates worth owning are the coarse ones. The high grits from lets say 500 and up are much better handled by real stones. I recommend the Shapton glass since these are the slowest wearing ones I've tried. If you look up the site scienceofsharp he test different diamond plates and then put the blades under a SEM (scanning electron microscope) and guess what. Only the DMT 325 and 600 are good. The higher grit ones actually make the edges duller.

Only diamond plates worth owning are the coarse ones. The high grits from lets say 500 and up are much better handled by real stones. I recommend the Shapton glass since these are the slowest wearing ones I've tried. If you look up the site scienceofsharp he test different diamond plates and then put the blades under a SEM (scanning electron microscope) and guess what. Only the DMT 325 and 600 are good. The higher grit ones actually make the edges duller.
That's just what I'm needing.

I tried making a straight razor...and a 400 grit wetstone didn't even put a dent in it. Probably should have tempered it for an hour...maybe still will.

The cheap-o diamonds came today...and the epoxy is drying...going to give them a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the info and recommendations.

Cheap diamond plates are not worth it. The Atoma 140 is a good plate and they have gone down in price. Paid almost 100.00 for my first one years ago. Last one I bought was under 75.00. Like it better than the X coarse DMT.

Have the 1000 grit JKI diamond stone. It has held up very well for the various sharpening duties use it for.

It baffles me how fast some of you are going through diamond plates. I bought the Atoma 600 and 1200 I'm using right now 2 years ago for my chisels and plane blades at work and they're still going strong. Maybe it's the iron cladding of a knife that wreaks havoc on them.

Forum List

Back