Chauvin and Systemic Racism

If the murder of George Floyd was an example of systemic racism as most of the News Entertainment Media says then why wasn’t Derek Chauvin charged with a hate crime or violation of civil rights?

Is it possible that Chauvin was just a bad cop?

Prosecution did a good job of limiting the charges to what they knew they could prove. Maybe he didn't have a social media posting history or US Message board posting history, showing racist remarks. Does not mean it was or wasn't, but by sticking to the easily proved, it was a slam dunk. Over charging and under delivering will sometimes piss a jury off and mess up the whole outcome.
Is it possible he was a bad cop but not a racist?
Anything’s possible.

It’s possible that you aren’t a racist asshole, but not likely given your posts
OK give me one example of me being a racist via my posts.
Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister
this user just accused me of being a racist. If you agree and can find posts to substantiate that claim please ban me forever.

How is that Lesh? Fair? I ll put my status on this site on the line. Find a post that shows I am a racist and I will be banned.

I don't think you are a racist, haven't seen it....you're just an ass sometimes :lol:

(imo ;) )

The problem is, like with so many of these discussions - once you start accusing each other of being racist (or any other ists) - the discussion degenerates rapidly into something resembling Jr. High.

So how about we all go back to this question - a good one.

"Is it possible he's a bad cop - not a racist"

Of course it is. But, I'll add - I haven't researched it, I don't know what his attitudes and such towards blacks are. I don't know what the complaints on him were about. He and Floyd apparently worked for a private security company at the same time. What were those interactions like? He is without question a bad cop. And there are without question bad cops who are also racist.
Call me what you like. I am an Ass. Racist? NFW. Chauvin is a dick but racist? Idk his wife was Asian

I think a lot of what is called racism is more subtle, subconscious. I am not sure it should be called racism. I see plenty of blatant racism on threads here. But what is more common are subtle things like what happened to Steven Locke.

Or the NYC woman who called in the complaint about the black bird watcher who told her to leash her dog, who maybe never thought of herself as a racist but had no clue what her false complaint could have led to.

Or...the white woman that confronted a black man in her very upper class urban neighborhood carefully painting a black lives matter sign on a stone wall in front of the house. It happened to be his house but she couldn't conceive of the idea a black person would live there.
I agree but stereotyping isn’t racism

It can be - it kind of depends on how you stereotype some is benign, some malign, some just offensive. It also depends on the intent behind it.

For example the stereotype that African Americans are low-IQ. It's a stereotype that is based in the pre-abolition arguments for justifying slavery, racial stratification, etc.
Low IQ means you consider them to be beneath you and that is racism. But if you stereotype them as great athletes it’s not. If you stereotype Jews as a smart it’s not even if you stereotype Jews as poor athletes it’s not because it’s mostly true.

If the murder of George Floyd was an example of systemic racism as most of the News Entertainment Media says then why wasn’t Derek Chauvin charged with a hate crime or violation of civil rights?

Prosecution did a good job of limiting the charges to what they knew they could prove. Maybe he didn't have a social media posting history or US Message board posting history, showing racist remarks. Does not mean it was or wasn't, but by sticking to the easily proved, it was a slam dunk. Over charging and under delivering will sometimes piss a jury off and mess up the whole outcome.
Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister
this user just accused me of being a racist. If you agree and can find posts to substantiate that claim please ban me forever.

How is that Lesh? Fair? I ll put my status on this site on the line. Find a post that shows I am a racist and I will be banned.

I don't think you are a racist, haven't seen it....you're just an ass sometimes :lol:

(imo ;) )

The problem is, like with so many of these discussions - once you start accusing each other of being racist (or any other ists) - the discussion degenerates rapidly into something resembling Jr. High.

Of course it is. But, I'll add - I haven't researched it, I don't know what his attitudes and such towards blacks are. I don't know what the complaints on him were about. He and Floyd apparently worked for a private security company at the same time. What were those interactions like? He is without question a bad cop. And there are without question bad cops who are also racist.
She's right dude, not a racist but sometimes an A-hole. But seriously, it's is part of your charm and always has been. :thup:
I wear that with a badge of honor. 100% A hole and 100% instigator. But never a racist. I hate Racists.

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

Call me what you like. I am an Ass. Racist? NFW. Chauvin is a dick but racist? Idk his wife was Asian

I think a lot of what is called racism is more subtle, subconscious. I am not sure it should be called racism. I see plenty of blatant racism on threads here. But what is more common are subtle things like what happened to Steven Locke.

Or the NYC woman who called in the complaint about the black bird watcher who told her to leash her dog, who maybe never thought of herself as a racist but had no clue what her false complaint could have led to.

Or...the white woman that confronted a black man in her very upper class urban neighborhood carefully painting a black lives matter sign on a stone wall in front of the house. It happened to be his house but she couldn't conceive of the idea a black person would live there.
I agree but stereotyping isn’t racism
Can be.
Can be but not always. It is part of human nature.

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

She's right dude, not a racist but sometimes an A-hole. But seriously, it's is part of your charm and always has been. :thup:
I wear that with a badge of honor. 100% A hole and 100% instigator. But never a racist. I hate Racists.
Go for it Mighty Jew. You're alright with me, even when we disagree.

You voted for Biden who says America is systematically racist. You admitted it. Checkmate, leftist.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

I still haven’t even mentioned anything about systemic racism.
But the person you voted for ran on it, leftist.

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

To me, those examples do not fall under the term subliminal, as are to overt, especially coupled with action. The fact that those people never critically self examined does not make it subliminal, nor get them off the hook for being outright, overt racist in word and deed. Deed being a better indicator. Misguided, acts lacking self discipline, due to supposed self empowerment is what got them into trouble.
There are other examples where it isn't so clear and maybe the problem is we need new terms. Racism, is a very charged and ugly accusation because the act is very ugly and and a dark part of our country's history and present.

One example: the housing market.
Claim: when blacks move in, home values go down...leading to the (imo racist) claim that black people destroy neighborhoods).

But supporters of that view will show data on home prices that support their view.

If you start to ask questions though....

Q. Who determines the value?
The buyers, the market.

By far the vast majority of home ownership is in white hands both because of population and because they are much more to be able to buy a home (and low black home ownership has some racist roots).

Where whites CHOOSE to live sets the housing values. When they leave, the values go down, rentals increase. Black home buyers dont drive it down, white flight does.

Is it racism? And this where I find the concept of systemic racism problematic. There are systems in place that have their roots in racist laws and practices now illegal. But the results of those laws and practices still remain and are unconsciously perpetrated. Is the issue truly systemic racism or entrenched inequality?

You voted for Biden who says America is systematically racist. You admitted it. Checkmate, leftist.

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

To me, those examples do not fall under the term subliminal, as are to overt, especially coupled with action. The fact that those people never critically self examined does not make it subliminal, nor get them off the hook for being outright, overt racist in word and deed. Deed being a better indicator. Misguided, acts lacking self discipline, due to supposed self empowerment is what got them into trouble.
There are other examples where it isn't so clear and maybe the problem is we need new terms. Racism, is a very charged and ugly accusation because the act is very ugly and and a dark part of our country's history and present.

Claim: when blacks move in, home values go down...leading to the (imo racist) claim that black people destroy neighborhoods).

But supporters of that view will show data on home prices that support their view.

The buyers, the market.

By far the vast majority of home ownership is in white hands both because of population and because they are much more to be able to buy a home (and low black home ownership has some racist roots).

Where whites CHOOSE to live sets the housing values. When they leave, the values go down, rentals increase. Black home buyers dont drive it down, white flight does.

Is it racism? And this where I find the concept of systemic racism problematic. There are systems in place that have their roots in racist laws and practices now illegal. But the results of those laws and practices still remain and are unconsciously perpetrated. Is the issue truly systemic racism or entrenched inequality?
I lived in George Floyd's neighborhood 45 years ago when it was predominantly white. Nice place. Now it looks like a dump, crime, drugs, mostly Black and Muslim. If you can't see the problem, then you're in denial.

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

The buyers, the market.

Blacks driving home prices down is due to the media portraying blacks as criminals. 100% their fault.

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

The buyers, the market.

I lived in George Floyd's neighborhood 45 years ago when it was predominantly white. Nice place. Now it looks like a dump, crime, drugs, mostly Black and Muslim. If you can't see the problem, then you're in denial.
It’s cause the people who moved in are poor not cause they are black. Muslims? Eeeesh. Tough

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

The buyers, the market.

It’s cause the people who moved in are poor not cause they are black. Muslims? Eeeesh. Tough
Somali muslims are trash.

Truth over Facts

Anything’s possible.

Coyote
WillHaftawaite
Meister

(imo ;) )

The buyers, the market.

Somali muslims are trash.
That ideology in general is at best problematic

I saw the video too. The alleged perpetrator was resisting arrest against men who were half his size and had no idea he was dying of a drug overdose. It isn't pleasant to watch cops trying to restrain a monster.

In a nutshell, the entrenched inequality is due to the systemic racism that was/is so interwoven into the system that it makes getting rid of it near impossible. Redlining, steering and racial restrictive convenants are just a few examples:

1. Redlining | discrimination
    Redlining, illegal discriminatory practice in which a mortgage lender denies loans or an insurance provider restricts services to certain areas of a community, often because of the racial characteristics of the applicant’s neighbourhood. Redlining practices also include unfair and abusive loan terms for borrowers, outright deception, and penalties for prepaying loans. The term redlining came about in reference to the use of red marks on maps that loan corporations would use to outline mixed-race or African American neighbourhoods. Neighbourhoods in more-affluent areas, which were deemed the most worthy of loans, were usually outlined in blue or green. Neighbourhoods outlined in yellow were also considered desirable for lending.

2. Steering is when a real estate agent influences a homebuyer to purchase in certain communities based on their race, therefore limiting the buyer’s choices.

Let’s look at a hypothetical example of steering: a white buyer and a Black buyer approach the same real estate agent looking to buy homes. Both buyers have similar financial profiles and similar needs for their future homes. The agent sends the white buyer 40 listings in 5 different communities, all of which are predominantly white. The agent sends the Black buyer 22 listings in 3 communities, all of which are racially mixed or predominantly Black.

This is how steering often plays out. Agents direct clients to neighborhoods based on their race.

In practice, this means that white buyers are often given more housing options and advised against moving to diverse neighborhoods. Black buyers tend to be given fewer options, and they are steered toward predominantly Black or mixed-race neighborhoods.

Steering is illegal under the Fair Housing Act (more on that later).

3. Racial covenants In the United States, deed restrictions and restrictive covenants became an important instrument for enforcing racial segregation in most towns and cities, becoming widespread in the 1920s and proliferating until they were declared unenforceable in 1948[18] in the Supreme Court case Shelley v. Kraemer.

They prohibited a buyer of real property from allowing use or occupancy by members of a given race, ethnic origin, and/or religion as specified in the title deed. Such covenants were employed by many real estate developers to "protect" entire subdivisions, with the primary intent to keep "white" neighbourhoods "white". Ninety percent of the housing projects built in the years following World War II were racially restricted by such covenants.[19] Cities known for their widespread use of racial covenants include Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee,[20] Los Angeles, Seattle, and St. Louis.[21]
    "Said premises shall not be rented, leased, or conveyed to, or occupied by, any person other than of the white or Caucasian race."
    — Racial covenant for a home in Beverly Hills, California.[18]

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back