CHART: Americans Support Occupy Wall Street, Oppose Tea Party

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
Americans favor Occupy Wall Street far more than Tea Party

Despite nonstop GOP and conservative disparagement of the Wall Street protests, the most detailed polling yet on Occupy Wall Street suggests that the public holds a broadly favorable view of the movement — and, crucially, the positions it holds.

Time released a new poll this morning finding that 54 percent view the Wall Street protests favorably, versus only 23 percent who think the opposite. Interestingly, only 23 percent say they don’t have an opinion, suggesting the protests have succeeded in punching through to the mainstream. Also: The most populist positions espoused by Occupy Wall Street — that the gap between rich and poor has grown too large; that taxes should be raised on the rich; that execs responsible for the meltdown should be prosecuted — all have strong support.

Meanwhile, the poll found that only 27 percent have a favorable view of the Tea Party. My handy Plum Line calculator tells me that this amounts to half the number of those who view Occupy Wall Street favorably.

In fairness, the Tea Party has been in existence since before the 2010 elections, and even has had a seat at the governing table during the debt ceiling and government shutdown debacles, which clearly took their toll on the Tea Party’s image. Occupy Wall Street is just getting started. But it does seem clear that a confluence of events — the protests, Obama’s jobs push, Elizabeth Warren’s Senate candidacy, and the national backlash from the right all these things have provoked — are pushing populist issues such as fair taxation and income inequality to the forefront of the national conversation.

It turns out we don’t live in Tea Party Nation, after all.

#OccupyWallStreet #OWS

By Alex Seitz-Wald

The new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows that Americans support the Occupy Wall Street protests by a two-to-one margin (37 percent in favor, 18 percent opposed) while more Americans view the Tea Party negatively (28 percent in favor, 41 percent opposed). This means the Occupy Wall Street protests have a net favorability of +19 percent while the Tea Party has a net favorability of -13 percent, as this chart produced by ThinkProgress shows:

OWS-v.-Tea-Party-poll_web_graphic.png

More: CHART: Americans Support Occupy Wall Street, Oppose Tea Party | ThinkProgress

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/NEWS/A_Politics/October_Poll.pdf

Topline Results of Oct. 9-10, 2011, TIME Poll | Swampland | TIME.com

By Alex Seitz-Wald

The new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows that Americans support the Occupy Wall Street protests by a two-to-one margin (37 percent in favor, 18 percent opposed) while more Americans view the Tea Party negatively (28 percent in favor, 41 percent opposed). This means the Occupy Wall Street protests have a net favorability of +19 percent while the Tea Party has a net favorability of -13 percent, as this chart produced by ThinkProgress shows:

More: CHART: Americans Support Occupy Wall Street, Oppose Tea Party | ThinkProgress

I found this interesting, as well...and rather than being convinced as to the import of the poll, and not doubting the veracity of same, what it seems to me to indicate is that polls are becoming less and less predictive of anything.

Now, recall, Rasmussen has found that the more public exposure any movement has, the less popular it is....so give it time.

But I find myself asking what would make participants answer thusly....and I think they are trying to project what they think the poller wants to hear.

I see the same in the Obama polls....

Sorry Lakhota:

Fudged figures. If you look at the poll it's an exhaustive survey of everything political based on about 1000 phone calls.

The question about protests on Wall Street were NOT mentioned by name (OWS) and ONLY asked of SOME of those polled. While the question about the Tea Party was asked of ALL polled.

So WHY the diff? And did they maintain the GOP/DEM mix for the 630 folks who were asked about protests?

I can get the impression that each movement is BACKED about the same amount by public opinion. I'll wait for a more EQUAL treatment of the way the polling question is posed and without the questionable "subsampling" of the Wall Street question..

By Alex Seitz-Wald

I found this interesting, as well...and rather than being convinced as to the import of the poll, and not doubting the veracity of same, what it seems to me to indicate is that polls are becoming less and less predictive of anything.

Now, recall, Rasmussen has found that the more public exposure any movement has, the less popular it is....so give it time.

But I find myself asking what would make participants answer thusly....and I think they are trying to project what they think the poller wants to hear.

Ii would be interested to see a poll showing what the people who work and live there think about them.

By Alex Seitz-Wald

My first impression was to suspect this poll. I have only seen media from computer searches and some cable news, but this media has shown the OWS movement to be undisciplined, without a cohesive message and lacking most any kind of integrity. Perhaps I am showing my age, lol.

The writing of the questions can so often predetermine the answer and I would like to know how the participants for this sample were chosen. To be clear, it would be useful to interview the participants to determine how much knowledge of the subjects they actually have before answering questions. Of course, in reality, everyone is permitted to vote, not just the knowledgable.

I found this article interesting.

Here is what our survey of the Occupy Wall Street protesters found:

* 80% of those polled said that the rich should pay higher taxes and that it’s fair that approximately the top 10% of tax payers pay more than 70% of the taxes in the US and about 40% of employed people pay no income tax.
* 93% say that student loan debt should be forgiven
* 98% believe that health care should be free

* 98% believe that Insurance companies make too much money and some of their profits should be taken to pay for more healthcare for others
* 95% believe that drug prices should be controlled
* 32.5% think the government will do a bad job managing healthcare
* 44% believe that instead of spending money on ObamaCare, we should spend it on jobs today, while 30% believe that we should do both, and 27% say ObamaCare was fine use of money
* 88% agree with the statement that “The government should put some controls on CEO pay – like limited to 20x or 30x the lowest paid employee.”
* 93% believe that communications like cell phone and internet access be a right and not just reserved for the rich and we should have free internet and cell phone service as a national goal.
* 54% do not believe that the Obama stimulus program was a good idea.
* 84% said they think that if a bank decides to implement a $5 debit card fee, the government should not allow it, while 16% said let them do what they want – customers can move.

Some Say Occupy Wall Street Protesters Aimless; Facts Say Otherwise - Forbes

Just because a bunch of stoners show up for free food and a bunch of illegals get paid by unions and dont even know what the signs say . Doesnt make it a success. At least the tea party went because they all believed in what they went to do ..

I found this article interesting.

Here is what our survey of the Occupy Wall Street protesters found:

* 80% of those polled said that the rich should pay higher taxes and that it’s fair that approximately the top 10% of tax payers pay more than 70% of the taxes in the US and about 40% of employed people pay no income tax.
* 93% say that student loan debt should be forgiven
* 98% believe that health care should be free

* 98% believe that Insurance companies make too much money and some of their profits should be taken to pay for more healthcare for others
* 95% believe that drug prices should be controlled
* 32.5% think the government will do a bad job managing healthcare
* 44% believe that instead of spending money on ObamaCare, we should spend it on jobs today, while 30% believe that we should do both, and 27% say ObamaCare was fine use of money
* 88% agree with the statement that “The government should put some controls on CEO pay – like limited to 20x or 30x the lowest paid employee.”
* 93% believe that communications like cell phone and internet access be a right and not just reserved for the rich and we should have free internet and cell phone service as a national goal.
* 54% do not believe that the Obama stimulus program was a good idea.
* 84% said they think that if a bank decides to implement a $5 debit card fee, the government should not allow it, while 16% said let them do what they want – customers can move.

Some Say Occupy Wall Street Protesters Aimless; Facts Say Otherwise - Forbes

Greece, here we come.

Just because a bunch of stoners show up for free food and a bunch of illegals get paid by unions and dont even know what the signs say . Doesnt make it a success. At least the tea party went because they all believed in what they went to do ..

bf544be2-0469-4c7e-a7e9-60846577f0ad.jpg

Scooter with RENT ME sticker, provided by Medicare?

Are you high Lakhota?

I can't wait to see if Time publishes any pics of the OWS protests in their Year in Pictures issue...considering that they posted zero pics of the TPM in 2009. Yeah, no bias there.:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back