Charges filed against Pierce County sheriff after January confrontation with newspaper carrier

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This is a really hard case for me to wrap my head around and disappointing because I've had interactions with Troyer back when he was a Pierce county detective however on the other hand, if he is guilty and he is able to be charged and/or held liable despite being a top law enforcement detective, then there is no reason other law enforcement officers shouldn't be able to be held accountable as well.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/charges-filed-against-pierce-county-sheriff-after-january-confrontation-with-newspaper-carrier/WO5LYPLXYFB7TPYSSHYE7RBCHA/
October 19, 2021 at 10:59 am PDT
By KIRO 7 News Staff​
TACOMA, Wash. — Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed criminal charges against Pierce County Sheriff Ed Troyer on Tuesday, alleging Troyer made a false statement to officials following a January confrontation with a newspaper carrier.​
Troyer faces one count of false reporting and one count of making a false statement to a civil servant.​
The charges were filed in Pierce County District Court. If convicted, Troyer would face up to 364 days in jail and up to a $5,000 fine, according to a release from the attorney general.​
The charges stem from a criminal investigation that Gov. Jay Inslee referred to the attorney general’s office April 24.​
The investigation related to possible criminal violations from January when Troyer called 911 and claimed a Black newspaper carrier was threatening to kill him, court documents say.​
The newspaper carrier, 24-year-old Sedrick Altheimer, was working his regular delivery route Jan. 27 when Troyer began following him in his car around 2 a.m.​
Altheimer continued working the route, noticing that a car was following him. After stopping at a house, Altheimer approached the car to find out why he was being followed.​
Altheimer went up to the car and began talking to Troyer, who he did not recognize as the sheriff. He asked Troyer if he was a cop, and Troyer did not identify himself as law enforcement, according to the AG’s office.​
Troyer continued to ask Altheimer questions and accused him of being a thief, documents say. Altheimer returned to his car and drove away and Troyer continued following.​
Around 2:05 a.m., Troyer called 911 and reported that he caught someone in his driveway who “just threatened to kill me,” according to 911 records.​
Over 40 law enforcement officers from multiple agencies responded. Altheimer denied making any threats to Troyer, blocking Troyer’s car or entering his driveway.​
When questioned that night, Troyer walked back his initial claim that Altheimer had threatened him, according to police reports.​
Altheimer later filed a lawsuit for $5 million claiming he was racially profiled by the Pierce County sheriff. He claimed his constitutional rights were violated and he suffered severe emotional distress.​
Troyer has consistently denied allegations of racism.​

It's so within the realm of the imagination that AG Ferguson and Jay Insleaze have a leftist hardon for Troyer, who always had a public reputation as a good cop. Back when I used to watch TV, the media always held Troyer up as a model of law enforcement excellence and my impression of him was that he did what a sheriff was supposed to do -- protect the people.

Plus there's that pesky question about what does $5m worth of racial profiling look like. No more having to deliver papers for a living.

Forum List

Back