Changes to USMB Zone Layout and Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al this zone talk is confusing. man....... guess I'll get hammered a few time until I figure it out

-Geaux

It's the same as ever was. We made it EASIER. Because now there's only 3 Zones with different moderation levels, not four. And actually -- the RULES haven't changed either. We're just enforcing the "topical rule" that has ALWAYS existed.

This means deanrd's threads are automatically toast.

Not really

Just have to respond to the OP topic.

The OP topic is usually a name-call-fest on the part of Mr. Butthurt.

How they stay in the politics section is beyond me.

And there should be a requirement that any accusation be backed up with some facts or analysis.

Good then you will not lead us to china town anymore!
Why were you following me? That was dumb........

Difference in following and responding to you, learn the difference!

Why would anyone follow you anyway?

I hear that they always wind up in strange places..
You said lead besides, how would you know I wind up in strange places if you weren't following me? :dunno:

I said it is something I hear! Maybe you need to take all that topical content out of your eyes so you can read better.

Ya might wanna see someone about that short term memory issue....... :thup:

Yes that is what I hear! SO I repeat something I heard, you have a problem with that? or is that topical content still blinding you?

Changes to USMB Rules and Layout

Discussion boards are the oldest form of Social Media. In order for us to stay relevant and adhere to the principles of free discussion --- we have to PROMOTE good discussion. There’s no sense having a design that sounds like Twitter. And we definitely don’t want to pretend to be fair about boinking topics and opinions and content like the FaceBook current strategy. So we’re making a few minor tweaks to USMB content organization and moderation to encourage folks to more fully engage in discussion.

We’re going to be enforcing more demanding “specific topical content” in posts. For too long now, the standard has been getting more and more lax. Thread topics have to be respected. They are much more important than the personal squabbles and member flaming. So “specific topical content” will show up in the revised rules as MORE than a token or repeated reference to some key word related to the topic. You have to be CONTRIBUTING to the topical discussion in every post in Zone2 before you get to flame or snark. We can’t have threads that all sound the same. No one learns anything. No one wants to read them. It becomes the same useless skirmish in every thread.

Secondly – if you do flame or snark without sufficient topical content AND you escalate that to excessive levels by calling out members as Marxists or Nazis or racists or other improvable attributions – expect to get ejected from those threads.

Lastly, we are going to simplify the rules and moderation by collapsing from four moderation Zones to three. This will greatly simplify the map that folks have to keep in their heads , simplify moderation, and make the Zone method less intimidating to new members. Zone1 will stay essentially the same. So forums under the highest “civil conversation” moderation will not be affected. Zone3 will be wholly incorporated into Zone2 and the more stringent “sufficient and specific topic content” rule will apply to the vast majority of USMB forums. The World Famous USMB Taunting forums will stay the same rule wise, but they will move one floor up to Zone3. (Zone 4 will now be flame sanitized and renovated for Mod room expansion and recreation ).

Some of the forums in the current Zone3 are not as problematic for topic control as others. For instance, Gardening or Writing or Music or Canada will always have some leniency for being “on topic”. But Current Events, or Health/LifeStyle or Immigration, for instance demand more on-topic compliance. It’s common sense and courtesy that should prevail in the less contentious forums. You should not need moderation to figure it out for you.

The Zone “collapse” will require a clean-up of all those “sticky threads” at the top of each forum that refer to the Zones. Those stickies haven’t been culled or edited in a long time. So we’ll be working on that for perhaps 2 weeks. In the meantime – POST in the old Zone3 forums as though the tougher standards apply today.
th

*****SMILE*****

:)

Al this zone talk is confusing. man....... guess I'll get hammered a few time until I figure it out

-Geaux

It's the same as ever was. We made it EASIER. Because now there's only 3 Zones with different moderation levels, not four. And actually -- the RULES haven't changed either. We're just enforcing the "topical rule" that has ALWAYS existed.

Not really

And there should be a requirement that any accusation be backed up with some facts or analysis.

Actually long ago the board used to be that way.

Why were you following me? That was dumb........

You said lead besides, how would you know I wind up in strange places if you weren't following me? :dunno:

I said it is something I hear! Maybe you need to take all that topical content out of your eyes so you can read better.

Yes that is what I hear! SO I repeat something I heard, you have a problem with that? or is that topical content still blinding you?
googletnt2-o-2.gif

You do it well......

Well maybe you guys can write the rules so they apply to everyone, including your own.

Maybe you enforce these rules on your own (meaning the moderation team), it will go to a long way to being "civil"..

Then again will you be moving threads or banning threads that start off with a false premise? or start off with calling people Nazi's, Marxist, etc.?

If the OP is crap to begin with you can not expect the rest of the thread to smell like roses.

If the OP is crap to begin with you can not expect the rest of the thread to smell like roses.

if the OP is crap to begin with, don't join the thread

If you do not want people to participate on a crap then either move or remove the thread.

After you want to enforce the rules and it must start at the OP..

If you do not want people to participate on a crap then either move or remove the thread.

If you don't like the thread, dont' join it.

We are NOT going to move/delete threads just because YOU have a problem with it.

Then do not expect to up hold the rules because the Op is crap to begin with.

That is stupid to try and enforce rules to crappy thread.

We move or close or trash about 12 "crappy threads" a day. If it's a brawl waiting to happen or extremely baiting and polarizing. NONE of that changes. We don't do that just because of it's opinion or content. Only because the chances of it promoting an actual rational discussion are extremely low or zero.

Try about 10%. And yes it is opinion driven. The bias of the mod determines what happens to the thread.

But once you willing discipline your own (meaning mods) you will have a hard time enforcing any rules!

-Geaux

Not really

Go take a quick tour of Badlands and the Rubber Room listings. 80% of those threads have been moved there by moderation. Notice the names and the political tribe they represent. USMB Moderation already does move a lot to those forums.

googletnt2-o-2.gif

You do it well......

Nope! Just seen what has been posted in the basement about you and where you lead people, just repeat what I hear..

-Geaux

Not really

Go take a quick tour of Badlands and the Rubber Room listings. 80% of those threads have been moved there by moderation. Notice the names and the political tribe they represent. USMB Moderation already does move a lot to those forums.

Can we create a stupid-ass zone for that clown and Lakhota ?

googletnt2-o-2.gif

You do it well......

Nope! Just seen what has been posted in the basement about you and where you lead people, just repeat what I hear..
Do that often do ya? It shows.........

The Badlands is an Uber Cool Zone. It's highly underrated. Near total freedom and liberty to let all that icky stuff swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back