Change my mind: Bob Seger was the coolest, most talented and emotive writer in rock history

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
How many songs have I listened to, songs that were before my prime and in an environment probably quite different from my own, but I easily get absorbed in the story. I can relate to all of it, though none of it in.

He writes music and experiences that are universal (in most non-communist, fascist nations). Some musicians can write one or two songs that hit that note of reflection, Seger has so many. Just a special musician.

Jackson Browne is the best writer of that kind of song. There are never any odd lyrics thrown in there to make it rhyme. Jason Isbell has been around for a while now, he has that same knack.

Jackson Browne is the best writer of that kind of song. There are never any odd lyrics thrown in there to make it rhyme. Jason Isbell has been around for a while now, he has that same knack.
I try to like Jackson Browne. I even like a lot of artists similar to him. But when every song is a 15 minute opus with 137 instruments, I lose interest pretty quickly. Other musical artists afflicted with this tendency:

- Bruce Springsteen
- Mumford and Sons

How many songs have I listened to, songs that were before my prime and in an environment probably quite different from my own, but I easily get absorbed in the story. I can relate to all of it, though none of it in.

He writes music and experiences that are universal (in most non-communist, fascist nations). Some musicians can write one or two songs that hit that note of reflection, Seger has so many. Just a special musician.
I wouldn't try to change your mind. Who can tell you that your tastes and opinions of art are wrong? Nobody.

I wouldn't call him the best, but I agree that Jackson Browne was up among the greats for that kind of Rock.

For the record, I have been a huge Bob Segar fan since I first heard his music and I've never looked back.

I guess My favorite of his is, "Against the Wind".

Jason Isbell is amazing. 24 Frames is a favorite. And of course the stuff he did with the Truckers.

For the record, I have been a huge Bob Segar fan since I first heard his music and I've never looked back.

I guess My favorite of his is, "Against the Wind".

Of course that's a great song, it's difficult for me to choose one. That's certainly up there from his collection, and it was most popular (along with Old Time Rock n Roll) in concert.

I'd have to give the edge to Paul McCartney, but Bob Seger is definitely a great songwriter. Frank Zappa. Elton John. Roger Waters and David Gilmour come to mind. I don't think I can remember a day when a Pink Floyd song didn't pop into my head at some point.

I'd have to give the edge to Paul McCartney, but Bob Seger is definitely a great songwriter. Frank Zappa. Elton John. Roger Waters and David Gilmour come to mind. I don't think I can remember a day when a Pink Floyd song didn't pop into my head at some point.

As usual Angelo, great list. Agreed in the history of pop music Paul McCartney is tough to beat. How many iconic songs has he written? A semi obscure personal favorite.

Since first reading this , I've had Bob Seger songs in my head like every hour. Thanks a lot.:cool:
Bob Seger is definitely in my top 20.
I'm not in the mood to concoct a whole list but with people like Eric Clapton , Keith Richards & Mick Jagger, Elton John, Carole King, Stevie Wonder.... it's not so easy. Billy Joel, Sade,..... Ozzy wrote a bunch of great stuff over the decades..... McCartney and Lennon of course

Last edited:
I'd have to give the edge to Paul McCartney, but Bob Seger is definitely a great songwriter. Frank Zappa. Elton John. Roger Waters and David Gilmour come to mind.
I just don't get Frank Zappa, never did.
Yea, he's got this weird-o persona and kinda can play the guitar..
But a great songwriter?
Nope. ... :cool:

I just don't get Frank Zappa, never did.
Yea, he's got this weird-o persona and kinda can play the guitar..
But a great songwriter?
Nope. ... :cool:
Frank was a good improviser, orchestrator and musical coordinator...... the writing part seemed very spontaneous and unedited a lot of times...... performing live was probably his strong point.

Forum List

Back