Challenging Call Out/Cancel Culture

1608262627466.png
'

Deplorable!

Yep!!!

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

Yeah she got it..

The antidote to that outrage cycle, Professor Ross believes, is “calling in.” Calling in is like calling out, but done privately and with respect. “It’s a call out done with love,” she said. That may mean simply sending someone a private message, or even ringing them on the telephone (!) to discuss the matter, or simply taking a breath before commenting, screen-shotting or demanding one “do better” without explaining how.

I think the internet and social media has encouraged this constant cycle of outrage.
Of course, we are bombarded with information good and bad, our minds keep ticking when we go to sleep..
That is called ruminations...

None of y'all have a problem with it when right winger do it, huh?

Boycotting a company is nothing like the “cancel culture” that attacks individuals.

None of y'all have a problem with it when right winger do it, huh?

Boycotting a company is nothing like the “cancel culture” that attacks individuals.

bUt c0rP0rAti0ns aRe pEopLe

Call-out culture...Cancel-culture, seeing who can out social justice the other...it’s become a culture gone crazy with perpetual outrage alongside it’s opposite, the “just because I can, I will” culture bent on outraging.

I like what this woman has to say....

It is really past time to step down.

I am challenging the call-out culture,” Professor Ross said from her home in Atlanta, where she was lecturing on Zoom to students on a recent evening, in a blue muumuu from Ghana. “I think you can understand how calling out is toxic. It really does alienate people, and makes them fearful of speaking up.

She doesn’t believe people should be publicly shamed for accidentally misgendering a classmate, which she once did, leading to a Title IX complaint that was later dismissed; for sending a stupid tweet they now regret; or for, say, admitting they once liked a piece of pop culture now viewed in a different light, such as “The Cosby Show.”

“If it were on TV right now, I’d watch the reruns,” she said.

“What I’m really impatient with is calling people out for something they said when they were a teenager when they’re now 55. I mean, we all at some point did some unbelievably stupid stuff as teenagers, right?”

Professor Ross thinks call-out culture has taken conversations that could have once been learning opportunities and turned them into mud wrestling on message boards, YouTube comments, Twitter and at colleges like Smith, where proving one’s commitment to social justice has become something of a varsity sport.

I think this is also related to something I just discovered called doom scrolling,” Professor Ross told the students. “I think we actually sabotage our own happiness with this unrestrained anger. And I have to honestly ask: Why are you making choices to make the world crueler than it needs to be and calling that being ‘woke’?”

The antidote to that outrage cycle, Professor Ross believes, is “calling in.” Calling in is like calling out, but done privately and with respect. “It’s a call out done with love,” she said. That may mean simply sending someone a private message, or even ringing them on the telephone (!) to discuss the matter, or simply taking a breath before commenting, screen-shotting or demanding one “do better” without explaining how.
I’m confused. It sounds like you’re challenging what you endorse.

Call-out culture...Cancel-culture, seeing who can out social justice the other...it’s become a culture gone crazy with perpetual outrage alongside it’s opposite, the “just because I can, I will” culture bent on outraging.

I like what this woman has to say....

It is really past time to step down.

I am challenging the call-out culture,” Professor Ross said from her home in Atlanta, where she was lecturing on Zoom to students on a recent evening, in a blue muumuu from Ghana. “I think you can understand how calling out is toxic. It really does alienate people, and makes them fearful of speaking up.

She doesn’t believe people should be publicly shamed for accidentally misgendering a classmate, which she once did, leading to a Title IX complaint that was later dismissed; for sending a stupid tweet they now regret; or for, say, admitting they once liked a piece of pop culture now viewed in a different light, such as “The Cosby Show.”

“If it were on TV right now, I’d watch the reruns,” she said.

“What I’m really impatient with is calling people out for something they said when they were a teenager when they’re now 55. I mean, we all at some point did some unbelievably stupid stuff as teenagers, right?”

Professor Ross thinks call-out culture has taken conversations that could have once been learning opportunities and turned them into mud wrestling on message boards, YouTube comments, Twitter and at colleges like Smith, where proving one’s commitment to social justice has become something of a varsity sport.

I think this is also related to something I just discovered called doom scrolling,” Professor Ross told the students. “I think we actually sabotage our own happiness with this unrestrained anger. And I have to honestly ask: Why are you making choices to make the world crueler than it needs to be and calling that being ‘woke’?”

Disagree.

‘Cancel culture’ is a myth. So is the idea that the political right is under siege.

“First of all, as much as people on the right whine about how they’re somehow being ‘persecuted’ or ‘silenced’ by ‘political correctness’, it is simply not in any respect a threat to freedom of speech. The concept of freedom of speech is about preventing the government from interfering in what can be published and put into the public sphere.

So when left-wing commentators like myself, for example, call out bigots for the racist things that they say, we’re not impeding their free speech. In the first place this is because we’re not the government. But, moreover, it’s because criticizing our political opponents for what they say is itself freedom of speech that is protected every bit as much as their freedom of speech.

What the right is really complaining about is not that they are being silenced. They’re complaining that they can’t say whatever they want without facing consequences, which may well include public criticism. And if what one says is prejudiced, intellectually dishonest, or otherwise contemptible, then one runs a very real risk of facing such a consequence.”

Indeed, what conservatives wrongly deride as ‘political correctness’ or ‘cancel culture’ is in fact consistent with what the Framers envisioned for our free and democratic society – that private citizens, through full-throated discourse, debate, and argument, in the context of private society, determine what speech is appropriate and what speech is not – free from interference from the government or the courts.

The right’s unwarranted hostility to this process is what actually threatens our free and democratic society.

Forum List

Back