Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence

Intense

Aug 2, 2009
6:00 am May 26, 2010, by Bob Barr

Thousands of census workers, including many temporary employees, are fanning out across America to gather information on the citizenry. This is a process that takes place not only every decade in order to complete the constitutionally-mandated census; but also as part of the continuing “American Community Survey” conducted by the Census Bureau on a regular basis year in and year out.

Edited, you cannot post entire articles.

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence | The Barr Code

Isn't this precious???

LOL!

This is a bullshit lie.

I am working for the census. This is totally false.

Why do right wingers LOVE LIES so much????

LOL!

This is a bullshit lie.

I am working for the census. This is totally false.

Why do right wingers LOVE LIES so much????

It may be a lie or an exaggeration. The article and link are posted on Drudge.

This was also posted on the link. Does it make more sense???

TITLE 13 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 223
Prev | Next
§ 223. Refusal, by owners, proprietors, etc., to assist census employees
How Current is This?
Whoever, being the owner, proprietor, manager, superintendent, or agent of any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary or by any other officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof, acting under the instructions of the Secretary, to furnish the names of the occupants of such premises, or to give free ingress thereto and egress therefrom to any duly accredited representative of such Department or bureau or agency thereof, so as to permit the collection of statistics with respect to any census provided for in subchapters I and II of chapter 5 of this title, or any survey authorized by subchapter IV or V of such chapter insofar as such survey relates to any of the subjects for which censuses are provided by such subchapters I and II, including, when relevant to the census or survey being taken or made, the proper and correct enumeration of all persons having their usual place of abode in such premises, shall be fined not more than $500.

This only means that the landlord cannot refuse to permit the census worker into the building. This will only affect people in high end apartment buildings that have doormen to prevent residents from being bothered by random salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses.

6:00 am May 26, 2010, by Bob Barr

Thousands of census workers, including many temporary employees, are fanning out across America to gather information on the citizenry. This is a process that takes place not only every decade in order to complete the constitutionally-mandated census; but also as part of the continuing “American Community Survey” conducted by the Census Bureau on a regular basis year in and year out.

Edited, you cannot post entire articles.

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence | The Barr Code

Isn't this precious???

Oh, the part that wants to tally up renters?

I would guess you are not a renter, so even if this interpretation were true, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I think I would take this with a grain of salt. Although the government is definitely taking liberties with lots of things, giving census workers permission to enter someone's home without their consent or knowledge seems over the top, even for them. What would happen if a census worker demanded entry to a home he/she thought no one was in, and it turned out the person was home and simply didn't want to answer the door? Or worse, that person decides to shoot the census worker? I applied to work for the census, but ended up breaking my ankle shortly afterward, and ended up having to turn them down when they called to offer me a job going door to door. But I do recall, when prepping for the test, someone asking how the census handled it if someone refused to answer the questions or wasn't home, and the person supervising the test told us that they would fill in any information they could based on what they could get from neighbors, landlords, deed records, etc. I don't know how far they actually go, again I wasn't able to take the job, but I would believe that explanation before I'd believe they can just enter my home.

This only means that the landlord cannot refuse to permit the census worker into the building. This will only affect people in high end apartment buildings that have doormen to prevent residents from being bothered by random salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses.

It's probable. I have a hard time understanding why Bob Barr would make such a claim.

I have my own issues with the Census. Last time they came several times claiming that we had to comply and go through it question by question. You'd think they were paid by commission. They counted us as a two family household, even though we are a one family household. This round we received two census forms. We sent one in after photo copying everything, to ward off multiple assaults. So far the strategy has worked once. ;)

Census workers can...

Isn't this precious???
Right wing Fascist Free Republic good enough for you? :cuckoo:

If no one answers at a particular residence, a census taker will visit a home up to three times and attempt to reach the household by phone three times. The census worker will leave a double-sided (English and Spanish) NOTICE of VISIT in the doorway that includes a phone number for the resident to schedule an appointment.

The census taker will ONLY ask the questions that appear on the census form.

Census workers will be in the field from May 1 through July 10 conducting interviews with residents of addresses from which a form was not received. The census worker will leave a double-sided (English and Spanish) NOTICE of VISIT in the doorway that includes a phone number for the resident to schedule an appointment. How Do I Identify A Census Worker?

Read the 2010 Census Blog, connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to get more tips, or visit our 2010 Census site.

It's probable. I have a hard time understanding why Bob Barr would make such a claim.

;)

no surprise here. you have a difficult time with many things. shit happens when one lacks critical thinking skills. :eusa_whistle:

Dante, You really need to get past that penis envy thing. Alcohol isn't the answer either. ;)

I saw allot of overkill during the 2000 census, oddly we have only been bothered once that I know of this time around. I like that. Keeping those fingers crossed too. My issues with the Census are different. Like Race. I'm Human, How about You??? Galatians Chapter 3:28 was my write in answer in 2000. ;)

The Constitutional obligation is the count.

. . .

The statute, 13 USC 223 says:

". . . any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building, . . . furnish the names of the occupants of such premises, or to give free ingress thereto and egress therefrom . . . "

The statute is directed to "owner, proprietor, manager, superintendent, or agent" of the BUILDING.

Most all such buildings may be entered without being able to access, through "locked doors," rooms or apartments inside such buildings.

Most such buildings are readily accessible by anyone, unless one has to "buzz" through an exterior controlled access door.

Wake up! Have you ever heard about a little thing called a WARRANT. The government is required to get a WARRANT to enter your private dwelling inside a building, without probable cause to break down the door.

The statute is purposely written in an ambiguous style to frighten the simpering, unwashed, "chicken littles" who would rather drop their drawers and grab their ankles any time a "badge" comes near.

Get a life!

Census workers better not enter a private dwelling without a warrant.

. . .

It also applies to gated apartment communities and such, but it doesn't apply to individual residences, obviously. We have the right to knock on your door, not to enter it.

Dante, You really need to get past that penis envy thing. Alcohol isn't the answer either. ;)

I saw allot of overkill during the 2000 census, oddly we have only been bothered once that I know of this time around. I like that. Keeping those fingers crossed too. My issues with the Census are different. Like Race. I'm Human, How about You??? Galatians Chapter 3:28 was my write in answer in 2000. ;)

The Constitutional obligation is the count.

I get really tired of hearing that "Constitutional obligation" number, as though the Constitution is the only federal law in existence, and exhaustive in its comprehension. It isn't, and it isn't. As with everything else, it establishes the basics, and leaves the details up to lesser federal laws, in this case Title 13, which specifies a lot more than just a number.

As it happens, if all you give me is a number, my supervisor is just going to make me go ask your neighbors, who are going to be more than happy to tell me ALLLLL about you, so just save some taxpayer dollars and answer me the first time, huh?

It also applies to gated apartment communities and such, but it doesn't apply to individual residences, obviously. We have the right to knock on your door, not to enter it.

Thanks for the reasonable and practical application of the rule. So far answering the first two questions on the Census seems to have worked. No visits yet.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reasonable and practical application of the rule. So far answering the first two questions on the Census seems to have worked. No visits yet.

Your regional office might be nicer than ours, then, because I was sent out to question this guy who proudly made his big "political statement" by answering like that, and they weren't willing to accept that. He made the same big "political statement" to me (like I give a smuck any more than the computer did), and my supervisor sent me to go ask his neighbors.

And by the way, what the hell makes ANYONE feel justified in being incredibly rude the way some of these assholes on my route have been? Not that I particularly CARE, but I'm really curious. You don't want to answer, fine. It's no skin off my nose. But screaming and cussing and slamming doors? Why is THAT necessary?

oddly enough...in all my census training....3 sessions so far....no one has told me i could do this....gated communites are an issue....one tossed out all the census people and would only allow one person to work the entire community...he would place the notice of visits or whatever he needed to place on the door....a worker from the gated community would be right behind him removing it.

oddly enough...in all my census training....3 sessions so far....no one has told me i could do this....gated communites are an issue....one tossed out all the census people and would only allow one person to work the entire community...he would place the notice of visits or whatever he needed to place on the door....a worker from the gated community would be right behind him removing it.
Looks like the manager of this gated community wanted to undermine the well being of his community. Which is what anyone wishing to prevent census workers from doing their jobs is actually doing. Why would you want to see your community lose out on federal funding, grants and representation in Congress?

Your regional office might be nicer than ours, then, because I was sent out to question this guy who proudly made his big "political statement" by answering like that, and they weren't willing to accept that. He made the same big "political statement" to me (like I give a smuck any more than the computer did), and my supervisor sent me to go ask his neighbors.

And by the way, what the hell makes ANYONE feel justified in being incredibly rude the way some of these assholes on my route have been? Not that I particularly CARE, but I'm really curious. You don't want to answer, fine. It's no skin off my nose. But screaming and cussing and slamming doors? Why is THAT necessary?

My local census lady says she loves it when people refuse to give her the info they are by law required to provide. Being a bit of a busybody, she says it makes her job more interesting as she goes sleuthing for informants. She knows everyone's dirty laundry now. :lol:

Oh Drudge... Well then!

:lol:

Matt Drudge: The go to guy when truth hardly matters! :)

Cat-CatInsideComputerHiIVoidedYourW.jpg

Forum List

Back