Census competence, or lack of same

Sep 12, 2008
I turned in my census form on April 2. yesterday, I got a visit from an enumerator while I was out. I got a notice attached to the door, so I called up and asked what is going on.

They claimed they never got the form. Maybe it was the post offices fault, maybe not.

I just answered the same questions the same way over again over the phone.

This does lot lead to confidence in the results.

And what Bones has been telling us, I feel even less.

No one is going to be happy with the results.

I never received a census form. I'm a college student and live away from home during the school year. I was told I would receive my own census form in my group housing. Never did. Nor has a census taker visited me since returning home. I keep getting conflicting words from the infosphere: one group says I was counted when I was marked as living away from home as a college student when my parents filled out their form. The other says I should've received my own form when I was living in group housing.

:wtf:

All I know now is that if the latter case is true then because of some bureaucratic failure I won't be counted in the US pop or my city's pop and we'll receive less allocation of funds then we need.

:(

Is the White House still heavily involved in the figures? If so I won't believe any of the results.
Don't take this offensively but that is a very strange conclusion. Is what concerns you White House involvement in general (the issue isn't specific to Obama, or a liberal or conservative president) or the Barack Obama presidency? Or do you mean the current White House involvement is excessive? And why do you think of any of this would cause inaccurate reporting of results?

Is the White House still heavily involved in the figures? If so I won't believe any of the results.
Don't take this offensively but that is a very strange conclusion. Is what concerns you White House involvement in general (the issue isn't specific to Obama, or a liberal or conservative president) or the Barack Obama presidency? Or do you mean the current White House involvement is excessive? And why do you think of any of this would cause inaccurate reporting of results?

Any White house involvement. Regardless of who is the President. Because this President had made it an issue that the census numbers would go through the White House on their way to the Department of Commerce.

No way should the White House be involved. EVER.

Ditto cantgetno. I didn't include my son who was away at school and he didn't get one either. I mailed my form back the day I got it and then got another one, I threw it out. If an enumerator comes to my house, I will be more than a little perturbed. But I know it's not the enumerators fault. Just plain ole govt inefficiency.

Any White house involvement. Regardless of who is the President. Because this President had made it an issue that the census numbers would go through the White House on their way to the Department of Commerce.

Why do you suggest the bolded part? I don't see any part of the census clause that restricts involvement by the White House. And the law set to govern with the census, Title 13 of the US Code, specifically calls for the 'go through the White House'.
[quote="Chapter 5, Sub-Chapter II, Section 141, Sub-Section b")]The tabulation of total population by
States under subsection (a) of this section as required
for the apportionment of Representatives
in Congress among the several States shall be
completed within 9 months after the census date
and reported by the Secretary to the President
of the United States.[/quote]
(c) The officers or public

Coming home from town the other day, I stopped at my mailbox to check the mail and a Census person pulled up beside me in a little sports car of some kind. Don't know exactly what it was. Anyway, this person asked me who lived in the two houses just up the road from me. Then she asked me what the address was. I told her. My neighbor lives about 3/4 mile off the road up a farm lane like I do. This census worker said she needed to go talk to my neighbor but wasn't about to drive her sports car up a farm lane and get off the paved road. Guess that's our government in action.

Why do you suggest the bolded part? I don't see any part of the census clause that restricts involvement by the White House. And the law set to govern with the census, Title 13 of the US Code, specifically calls for the 'go through the White House'.
[quote="Chapter 5, Sub-Chapter II, Section 141, Sub-Section b")]The tabulation of total population by
of the United States.
(c) The officers or public[/QUOTE]

That would be the Secretary of the Department of Commerce I believe. Last year before the story sort of died out the figures would be reported directly to the White House. Sorry if I smell something rotten in that. I just wonder if that changed or is the back hand BS still in effect. You do understand that either party would love to use the census to gerrymander I believe the term is.

of the United States.
(c) The officers or public[/QUOTE]

The Commerce Department falls under the White House....however because Obama has a history of less then clean elections in his past I think he needed to stay out of the process. This of course won't happen because he fully intends on making sure that even if his policies are unpopular...he's gonna give Democrats and himself the best possible chance to win.

of the United States.

The Commerce Department falls under the White House....however because Obama has a history of less then clean elections in his past I think he needed to stay out of the process. This of course won't happen because he fully intends on making sure that even if his policies are unpopular...he's gonna give Democrats and himself the best possible chance to win.[/QUOTE]

That's what we should worry about, gerrymandering Chicago style.

The Commerce Department falls under the White House....however because Obama has a history of less then clean elections in his past I think he needed to stay out of the process. This of course won't happen because he fully intends on making sure that even if his policies are unpopular...he's gonna give Democrats and himself the best possible chance to win.

The way reports of the census are coming out it sure looks like people that never ran one before are running it.

It's costing way too much and is turning out to be a total goat-fuck.

Must be an Obama operation.

Maybe they will have the results from the 2010 Census by 2021. You know the first year into 0bama's fourth term.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9tNJsAnf2g]YouTube - Sound-Effects - Drips Slow (With Echo)[/ame]

of the United States.

The Commerce Department falls under the White House....however because Obama has a history of less then clean elections in his past I think he needed to stay out of the process. This of course won't happen because he fully intends on making sure that even if his policies are unpopular...he's gonna give Democrats and himself the best possible chance to win.[/QUOTE]

What "history" would that be, exactly?

District lines are drawn by State governments, not the federal.

Any gerrymandering that goes on is done by the party in power in your particular state legislature.

Forum List

Back