Causes of the US civil war ???

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Seems most here think it was about slavery lol
That is not very accurate

Lincoln had zero interest in banning existing slavery and only wanted to stop it from expanding into the newly won states

The south viewed Abe as a radical who wanted to ban all of slavery ( this is false )
The North could not afford the massive agricultural loss of losing the south

Lincoln had zero interest in banning existing slavery and only wanted to stop it from expanding into the newly won states

The south viewed Abe as a radical who wanted to ban all of slavery ( this is false )
slavery was a huge issue but it was mostly about big brother controlling the south

There is a misconception that abolitionists were popular in the North. They weren't.

But yes, the Civil War was about slavery. The Cornerstone Speech given by the Vice-President of the Confederacy stated in plainly. In part he said "Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Also, several of the individual states, in their declarations of secession, made it clear that defending slavery was why they were seceding.

The claim that it was about state's rights sounds good, but the fact that the Constitution of the Confederacy did not allow any existing states or future states to decide for themselves on the subject of slavery. It would be legal, regardless of what any individual state wanted in the future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think slavery was a secondary issue in the war, secession being the primary issue. I mean, it didn't actually erupt until after South Carolina seceded.

Secession was the reason for the war. To bring those states back into the Union. But the South seceded because of the issue of slavery.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think slavery was a secondary issue in the war, secession being the primary issue. I mean, it didn't actually erupt until after South Carolina seceded.

Secession was the reason for the war. To bring those states back into the Union. But the South seceded because of the issue of slavery.
Slavery was a secondary issue, then, secession being the primary issue. Slavery was the reason for secession, as you say, and secession the reason for the war.

I think the causes mirror those that brought the Trumpsters into the Capitol. A minority (the South) saw themselves losing power to the North, both economic and political, and reacted to that. The North was growing due to industrialization and immigration. Southern expansion West was being fought and the end of slavery was apparent (Britain had already ended their part). They were desperate to maintain their privileges.

How stupid do people have to be to start a war and risk life and limb so some rich people don’t have to pay the help?

Good luck getting people to agree on what those causes were...

Yes, the South was really stupid to declare independence, given that there was no national movement to ban slavery in the South.

How stupid do people have to be to start a war and risk life and limb so some rich people don’t have to pay the help?
Whether it was smart or not doesn't address the issue of whether the war criminal Lincoln had the legal authority to invade Virginia.

He didn't.

I think the causes mirror those that brought the Trumpsters into the Capitol. A minority (the South) saw themselves losing power to the North, both economic and political, and reacted to that. The North was growing due to industrialization and immigration. Southern expansion West was being fought and the end of slavery was apparent (Britain had already ended their part). They were desperate to maintain their privileges.
The North was also using government to loot the South with confiscatory tariffs.

The North was also using government to loot the South with confiscatory tariffs.
How did they accomplish that? The South had lots 3/5 people being represented in Congress

How did they accomplish that? The South had lots 3/5 people being represented in Congress
He accomplished it with having more free states than slave states.

The Morill Tariff was passed in Mar 1861.

Because the slave states had seceded. I doubt the South ever paid the tariffs.

7 states seceded before March, 1861
South Carolina (December 20, 1860), Mississippi (January 9, 1861), Florida (January 10, 1861), Alabama (January 11, 1861), Georgia (January 19, 1861), Louisiana (January 26, 1861), Texas (February 1, 1861),

Forum List

Back