Cats are so amazing

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
I had a himalayan cat named Thumper for several years given to me by a lady who moved to a place where she could no longer keep him.

I grew very attached to Thumper and was constantly amazed by his intelligence, loyalty and affectionate nature. Unfortunately I had to put him to sleep. A very difficult thing to do.

I decided not to get another cat....just did not want to have to go through all that again.

Then a wild black cat started coming to my back door....there is a patch of woods behind where I live and he hung out there. I would feed him and gradually he began to trust me...he loved to be petted even though he was quite wild. He got very sick and died and again it was a painful experience but not as bad as what I went through with Thumper.

Not long after he died 3 more wild cats started coming to my back door ....much wilder than blackie. They have been coming around for a year or so now and I have made a shelter for them from the rain, wind and cold.

However they have not gotten to where I can pet them. They stick together very closely...I have never seen cats hang together like they do. They have gradually lost most of their fear of me.....but do not trust me to the point where I can touch them....if I hold my hand out they will come up and sniff it but if I try to pet them...they run away.

I am thinking they are just too wild to ever become tame enough to where they want to be petted.

I had a himalayan cat named Thumper for several years given to me by a lady who moved to a place where she could no longer keep him.

I grew very attached to Thumper and was constantly amazed by his intelligence, loyalty and affectionate nature. Unfortunately I had to put him to sleep. A very difficult thing to do.

I decided not to get another cat....just did not want to have to go through all that again.

Then a wild black cat started coming to my back door....there is a patch of woods behind where I live and he hung out there. I would feed him and gradually he began to trust me...he loved to be petted even though he was quite wild. He got very sick and died and again it was a painful experience but not as bad as what I went through with Thumper.

Not long after he died 3 more wild cats started coming to my back door ....much wilder than blackie. They have been coming around for a year or so now and I have made a shelter for them from the rain, wind and cold.

However they have not gotten to where I can pet them. They stick together very closely...I have never seen cats hang together like they do. They have gradually lost most of their fear of me.....but do not trust me to the point where I can touch them....if I hold my hand out they will come up and sniff it but if I try to pet them...they run away.

I am thinking they are just too wild to ever become tame enough to where they want to be petted.
You should feel very good about them trusting your feeding of them.

grumpy-cat-once-upon-a-time.jpg

Most pets don't live nearly as long as humans. Part of the price for the joy that pets bring into our lives is the grief when they pass away.

In my opinion, it's well worth it.

You should feel very good about them trusting your feeding of them.

I kinda think they have the same attitude. hehheh

Forum List

Back