Zone1 Catholics Come Home

The Catholic Church shut down during the pandemic. Yes, Mass was online. The United Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) kept on with daily readings and daily reflections.

Before the pandemic I was one who came early, stayed late. During the pandemic I was on of a very few who could not tolerate masks (nausea/vomiting) don't know why. Don't care. In our area, the Church first moved out of the building onto a field. Masks required. I participated the best I could standing outside the fence. In our area, the doors stayed closed the longest. I visited family in another state and attended Mass where masks were not required. When mask requirements started loosening in our state, I traveled to the next county that didn't require masks because our county still did.

Finally, the requirements were lifted. Many did not return. I did, resentfully. In my parish, I enter when Mass starts; I leave directly after receiving communion. I have never stopped contributing financially to this parish.

I broke every pandemic requirement there was. Openly. Compassionate grocers said not a word when I was there when the store first opened, and quickly went shopping, maskless. At work, people looked the other way when vaccines, masks, or twice-weekly testing were being required and I successfully avoided them all. I refused to bow to the pandemic. (With my reactions to masks, vaccines, etc. not a difficult rebellion.)

I feel my anger is because I feel churches--all denominations, all locations--bowed to the pandemic over bowing to God. I am not talking about individual people who, like me, continued on with so little help from the organization. I think one and all of them owe us a profuse apology before anyone comes "home" to any church denomination. We came to find the doors shut in our faces.

The Catholic Church shut down during the pandemic. Yes, Mass was online. The United Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) kept on with daily readings and daily reflections.

Before the pandemic I was one who came early, stayed late. During the pandemic I was on of a very few who could not tolerate masks (nausea/vomiting) don't know why. Don't care. In our area, the Church first moved out of the building onto a field. Masks required. I participated the best I could standing outside the fence. In our area, the doors stayed closed the longest. I visited family in another state and attended Mass where masks were not required. When mask requirements started loosening in our state, I traveled to the next county that didn't require masks because our county still did.

Finally, the requirements were lifted. Many did not return. I did, resentfully. In my parish, I enter when Mass starts; I leave directly after receiving communion. I have never stopped contributing financially to this parish.

I broke every pandemic requirement there was. Openly. Compassionate grocers said not a word when I was there when the store first opened, and quickly went shopping, maskless. At work, people looked the other way when vaccines, masks, or twice-weekly testing were being required and I successfully avoided them all. I refused to bow to the pandemic. (With my reactions to masks, vaccines, etc. not a difficult rebellion.)

I feel my anger is because I feel churches--all denominations, all locations--bowed to the pandemic over bowing to God. I am not talking about individual people who, like me, continued on with so little help from the organization. I think one and all of them owe us a profuse apology before anyone comes "home" to any church denomination. We came to find the doors shut in our faces.
What a whiny self-indulgent post!

I can only speak about my own parish, and we remained opened to the full extent we could get away with, considering local and state interference. Schools remained mainly open, the church was all on line for a couple months, but we had live masses as soon as possible

Many have not come back, but there are several factors contributing to this. Our Bishop (Zubic-Pittsburgh) has forced reorganization of ALL parishes, even the ones that were thriving, pissing off many, many Catholics like me, who were totally involved in their parishes for decades. Now those parishes no longer exist, replaced by consolidated parishes with new names dictated by the Bishop.

Many are still seething about the child abuse scandals, and some are still staying away because of fears due to the pandemic. Talk about headwinds.

The Church is doing remarkably well, all things considered, but the writing is on the wall. There are simply not enough priests to lead the Church beyond ten years or so from now. It will collapse of its own weight, despite its tremendous assets. If they don't start ordaining women and/or married men, the Church is toast.

What a whiny self-indulgent post!
Perhaps. A statement about why church organizations may have been in error in shutting down. People like me with strong beliefs worked around the shutdown. Our faith and trust in God do not depend on an organization. Still, we the believers, should have a strong say on what our organization(s) did, whether it was the best thing to do, and what we the church (meaning its people) recommend for the next time around. If an organization wants people to "come home" it needs to be there when times are tough.

I can only speak about my own parish, and we remained opened to the full extent we could get away with, considering local and state interference. Schools remained mainly open, the church was all on line for a couple months, but we had live masses as soon as possible

Many have not come back, but there are several factors contributing to this. Our Bishop (Zubic-Pittsburgh) has forced reorganization of ALL parishes, even the ones that were thriving, pissing off many, many Catholics like me, who were totally involved in their parishes for decades. Now those parishes no longer exist, replaced by consolidated parishes with new names dictated by the Bishop.

Many are still seething about the child abuse scandals, and some are still staying away because of fears due to the pandemic. Talk about headwinds.

The Church is doing remarkably well, all things considered, but the writing is on the wall. There are simply not enough priests to lead the Church beyond ten years or so from now. It will collapse of its own weight, despite its tremendous assets. If they don't start ordaining women and/or married men, the Church is toast.
Here, we couldn't keep schools open, either. I do know a lot of this is on the government--but that is a whole other resentment that I try to keep away from in the religion forum. I want the Church to be stronger, and I have greater expectations of Church.

We are blessed that we have not had to close/combine parishes. I favor married priests over women priests for a myriad of reasons, the top one is to keep men involved in the church. Here, we see more female altar servers, more female lectors and ushers, etc. Males stand aside. On the other hand, if the men do not step up, we women will become priests before allowing the Church to fail. We have always been the strength of the Church (my opinion, of course).

Perhaps. A statement about why church organizations may have been in error in shutting down. People like me with strong beliefs worked around the shutdown. Our faith and trust in God do not depend on an organization. Still, we the believers, should have a strong say on what our organization(s) did, whether it was the best thing to do, and what we the church (meaning its people) recommend for the next time around. If an organization wants people to "come home" it needs to be there when times are tough.

I had 3 friends and family members I lost due to COVID. My church closed and services were on-line. It never bothered me. It shouldn;t have bothered you, because the church was looking out for your and other's health.

I had 3 friends and family members I lost due to COVID. My church closed and services were on-line. It never bothered me. It shouldn;t have bothered you, because the church was looking out for your and other's health.
I am truly sorry for your losses as well. Because, pre-pandemic, I was doubly involved with visiting seniors, which we had to stop visiting, there were many I will never see again. The majority of them died, alone, of causes other than Covid.

But, I am not speaking of them. I am speaking about non-practicing Catholics, still alive. I am speaking of half-empty pews, and the Church's program of "Catholics Come Home" which is the topic of this thread. The Church lost a lot of practicing Catholics due to the pandemic. You seem to be saying, that my parish had no choice. I know it did. My parish shut down. Two states over, doors either remained open or reopened months earlier. In the next county churches opened later than some states, but still earlier than my parish.

If, for over a year, people got along with church doors being closed, why "come home"? If they got along during the worst of times with churches closing down, they certainly can get along during the better times....

I am all in favor of Catholics (and other denominations) coming home. I am merely pointing out that perhaps more than a call to come home is needed. During any pandemic, we need to do more than just shut down. Again, my opinion, but I am missing people.

I am truly sorry for your losses as well. Because, pre-pandemic, I was doubly involved with visiting seniors, which we had to stop visiting, there were many I will never see again. The majority of them died, alone, of causes other than Covid.

But, I am not speaking of them. I am speaking about non-practicing Catholics, still alive. I am speaking of half-empty pews, and the Church's program of "Catholics Come Home" which is the topic of this thread. The Church lost a lot of practicing Catholics due to the pandemic. You seem to be saying, that my parish had no choice. I know it did. My parish shut down. Two states over, doors either remained open or reopened months earlier. In the next county churches opened later than some states, but still earlier than my parish.

If, for over a year, people got along with church doors being closed, why "come home"? If they got along during the worst of times with churches closing down, they certainly can get along during the better times....

I am all in favor of Catholics (and other denominations) coming home. I am merely pointing out that perhaps more than a call to come home is needed. During any pandemic, we need to do more than just shut down. Again, my opinion, but I am missing people.
You are still whining. My Methodist church closed for months. We lost elderly members due to COVID even while closed. Why would the church ever consider reopening?

The Catholic Church shut down during the pandemic. Yes, Mass was online. The United Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) kept on with daily readings and daily reflections . . . .

This thread is not intended to debate good or bad decisions by some clerics of the Church. It is just a very nice video I wanted to post.
Let he who has never made a bad choice cast the first stone.

Catholics Come Home "Movie" Commercial

This reflective "Movie of Your Life" commercial from Catholics Come Home brings about sorrowful reflection of the bad times in our lives, as well as the joyful reliving of the good. Thankfully, we are reminded that Jesus came not to condemn the world but to save it! This commercial teaches us that it is never too late to ask for God's forgiveness and to accept His mercy. The Catholic Church waits with open arms to welcome back those who have drifted away, those whom God is calling home.

catholics are decieved and most are going to hell

Uh, no . . . . but you seem to be.

so many lies evil false teachings etc.

Nope. A Catholic Dogma is divinely inspired and infallible.

Pick a doctrine, any doctrine, start a thread on it, and I will educate you on your errors.

This thread is for pleasant things

You are still whining. My Methodist church closed for months. We lost elderly members due to COVID even while closed. Why would the church ever consider reopening?
Church is about something greater than Covid--or should be. And no, I am not whining. I am presenting another angle, one which may be uncomfortable for some. Not only were my Church ministries affected, so was my job teaching middle school students. Closing down schools was definitely a mistake. That is not a whine, it is more like a snap.

This thread is not intended to debate good or bad decisions by some clerics of the Church. It is just a very nice video I wanted to post.
It is a nice video. My comment is that "nice" may not be good enough in these times--not when Church is losing participation. Perhaps offering 'strength' over 'nice' is more apropos in these times?

Forum List

Back