Catholicism?

Mortimer

Gold Member
You know I said I want to become Catholic. But now my impression after reading so much on Catholic stuff, is one thing I question a bit is that they focus so much on earthly sufferings, and mortification of the flesh and whether that is right.

Poverty, depriving yourself of food, of water, etc. and they think having to suffer like having a heavy illness is somehow a good thing. I dont know what Orthodox say, I think maybe the same but lighter version. But I noticed there are Protestants out there who preach that being wealthy is good. They usually quote the old Testament, where God promises lots of wealth, many children, and a long life to his people while Catholics focus more on the passion of Christ and the imitation of Christs crucifixation, that Christ was crucified and we crucify our flesh or mortify it so the soul will live. Do you have any opinions on that what is the more correct approach? I thought about that after reading much into Catholicism and Protestantism.

You know I said I want to become Catholic. But now my impression after reading so much on Catholic stuff, is one thing I question a bit is that they focus so much on earthly sufferings, and mortification of the flesh and whether that is right.

Poverty, depriving yourself of food, of water, etc. and they think having to suffer like having a heavy illness is somehow a good thing. I dont know what Orthodox say, I think maybe the same but lighter version. But I noticed there are Protestants out there who preach that being wealthy is good. They usually quote the old Testament, where God promises lots of wealth, many children, and a long life to his people while Catholics focus more on the passion of Christ and the imitation of Christs crucifixation, that Christ was crucified and we crucify our flesh or mortify it so the soul will live. Do you have any opinions on that what is the more correct approach? I thought about that after reading much into Catholicism and Protestantism.
all religion is shit...seek God inside yourself...thats the only place God exists and has power(Your power)

all religion is shit...seek God inside yourself...thats the only place God exists and has power(Your power)
Not true. Genuine faith means you trust God with your soul and His provision for the forgiveness of your sin.

Keep it simple. Jesus taught, Discern the will of God and obey it. Love God, love one fellow man. I doubt many must mortify the flesh to keep mind and spirit focused on the will of God for us and following it. In fact, mortifying the flesh could have the opposite effect of keeping one's mind focused on self rather than on God.

Keep it simple. Jesus taught, Discern the will of God and obey it. Love God, love one fellow man. I doubt many must mortify the flesh to keep mind and spirit focused on the will of God for us and following it. In fact, mortifying the flesh could have the opposite effect of keeping one's mind focused on self rather than on God.
Exactly. Paul wrote to the Church in Ephesus that salvation is a gift given to us by God's grace. It cannot be earned. this is why we as Evangelicals tend to ride out our personal crises well. Because we can give it over to our Father and rest in Him, assured that He has our best interest in mind.

till the crucifiers are brought to justice no religion will represent the 1st century religious itinerant or the many others made to suffer by the same means. than the spoken religion of antiquity presently abandoned for the same reason.

Aha. Always nice to hear opinions of professionial uncatholics about unprofessional Catholics. Time to sing an Easter song.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm

An interesting form of religion (=rebound in god). And so personal and private and "individual" and absolutelly not public. And why do you think god is not in a coconut only because you will feel the power of the creation, when a coconut will fall on your head? Oh by the way: No need to prove god with a coconut experiment.

Catholics said by the way since a very long time of history that it looks like god made everything out of nothing. Yesterday I read that a physicist tried to find out whether this is possible. He took something - what's not fully this what we think - but what is a good approximation: the quantum fluctuation in a vacuum. And it's indeed possible that the complete universe grew out of such a fluctuation. Quantum fluctuations seem to transcendent the vacuum in a physical way - how god transcendends not only everything but also the nothing in a spiritual way. What said Augustinus once about wonders? Wonders are not super-natural - they show only a lack of our understanding of physics.

By the way: How came this what you are into your body? Only with material food or also with spiritual food? Did you eat an Aristotle - and where to buy two pounds of love?

Last edited:
till the crucifiers are brought to justice no religion will represent the 1st century religious itinerant or the many others made to suffer by the same means. than the spoken religion of antiquity presently abandoned for the same reason.

Do you understand what you say here?

... Exactly. Paul wrote to the Church in Ephesus that salvation is a gift given to us by God's grace. It cannot be earned. this is why we as Evangelicals tend to ride out our personal crises well. Because we can give it over to our Father and rest in Him, assured that He has our best interest in mind.

I imagined now someone who stands in the way between god and the help of god for someone else. The only what he has to do is to step aside and to let god pass. ... Are you really sure someone is not able to win and/or to lose the grace of god?

Study a short bit on the Seventh Day Adventist a lil. I have a lot of friends in that and my family all has been Methodist.All these ists ~isms lean too far in a specific direction.
The Word is Gods will/law.Jesus came to clarify the old testament and tell us what God meant, piece by piece.
Stone normal horny woman story, lamb fell in hole story, sit in front of a baked ham and starve or thank God and eat the thing ?
The Laws were given to be dealt with in a rational matter. Jesus explained all that.
The rabbits didn't want to hear it and rejected their own messiah.

better yet ... do you know why the 1st century religious itinerant was crucified.

better yet ... do you know why the 1st century religious itinerant was crucified.

I guess, you'll tell me this now.

Last edited:

that was meant as a question, you're the christian - and please explain the chicken that crowed 3 times ...

because they are still crowing - - > at you - - still afraid, for what "they" will do to you ...

* hint: "they" wrote your book.

that was meant as a question, you're the christian - and please explain the chicken that crowed 3 times ...

because they are still crowing - - > at you - - still afraid, for what "they" will do to you ...

I don't understand what you want from me. Soon will be Easter. What about the idea to follow just simple our way now? Jesus had died on April, 7th in the year 30 AD. This we will remember this year again by celebrating Easter again. It's the 1990th Easter celebration. In the moment is a fasting period, which was starting last Wednesday. We often prefer periods of 40 days (not periods of months). And "fast" has nothing to do with speed in this context - it comes from the German word "fest", what means solid, strong, hard, firm. In a fasting period we train our will to do what's good to do. This is individually different. If you do often something what's not good for you or others - or if you let it be to do what's good for you and others - then this are good situations for to start to change this wrongdoing now. Don't try to change everything - try to change only a special moment. But do it: Change it. See what this is doing with you.

Last edited:

I don't understand what you want from me. Soon will be Easter. What about the idea to follow just simple our way now? Jesus had died on April, 7th in the year 30 AD. This we will remember this year again by celebrating Easter again. It's the 1990th Easter celebration. In the moment is a fasting period, which was starting last Wednesday. We often prefer periods of 40 days (not periods of months). And "fast" has nothing to do with speed in this context - it comes from the German word "fest", what means solid, strong, hard, firm. In a fasting period we train our will to do what's good to do. This is individually different. If you do often something what's not good for you or others - or if you let it be to do what's good for you and others - then this are good situations for to start to change this wrongdoing now. Don't try to change everything - try to change only a special moment. But do it: Change it. See what this is doing with you.

Jesus had died on April, 7th in the year 30 AD. This we will remember this year again by celebrating Easter again.
you seem never to know what anyone is ever saying -

howabout not celebrating till you bring to justice the crucifiers who victimized the 1st century religious itinerant to give any meaning whatsoever for whatever you are celebrating - as a memento, too - the religion of antiquity the itinerant died for.

New Topics

Forum List

Back