Catching up..

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I have pictures! I grew some things this summer, Snoop is 17, we added my elderly mom and an elderly Chihuahua to our home.

Attachments

• 0776AEB1-3CC3-4BCB-AE18-1B0F27871B59.jpeg
    0776AEB1-3CC3-4BCB-AE18-1B0F27871B59.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 66
  • CCA0D554-D39A-4745-BADE-89C9D4DAFA88.jpeg
    CCA0D554-D39A-4745-BADE-89C9D4DAFA88.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 4B0AE5F0-E425-46BB-9088-B4BD1EEE64E0.jpeg
    4B0AE5F0-E425-46BB-9088-B4BD1EEE64E0.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 54979242-A367-49B1-8AFD-530F6CCB7DC7.jpeg
    54979242-A367-49B1-8AFD-530F6CCB7DC7.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 05619C28-4EC7-4DA4-A29E-FFC2E9422F4B.png
    05619C28-4EC7-4DA4-A29E-FFC2E9422F4B.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 4F3E9D4B-1720-4035-A164-62E2BCD05482.jpeg
    4F3E9D4B-1720-4035-A164-62E2BCD05482.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8026.MOV
    13.3 MB
  • 8430C914-C306-4B76-BC96-2CE14E49E7DF.jpeg
    8430C914-C306-4B76-BC96-2CE14E49E7DF.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 72
Carrots are nice and orange.

Beautiful canterbury bells, too.
Are Canterbury Bells the same thing as foxgloves? Because those are foxgloves, they are native to this region, but these were put into a pot :D :D
I've never gardened before. My backyard is crab grass, weeds, slugs and snails. And lots of garter snakes. But last year I committed to a little garden..and it fed us beans, carrots, potatoes, and some cukes for pickling, all summer long! Oh and squash...and I planted onions but they didn't get big. In fact they're still in the ground.

I put down cardboard over the sod and just built on top lol. That's why the carrots are deformed, they hit the cardboard...or they would have been bigger.
I'm planting more of everything this year.

Are Canterbury Bells the same thing as foxgloves? Because those are foxgloves, they are native to this region, but these were put into a pot :D :D

Oh, no, my mistake.

I guess the canterbury bells face upward. I have both of em, the foxgloves and the canterburys.

They're still pretty, if I'm a half-wit.

Oh, no, my mistake.

I guess the canterbury bells face upward. I have both of em, the foxgloves and the canterburys.

They're still pretty, if I'm a half-wit.
Haha I'm sure you aren't. My new motto is..if I can plant a producing garden, a half wit can. Because I know nothing. Though I know more than I did a year ago!
My dad and my grandparents on both sides were gardeners...but I never spent any time in their gardens so I didn't learn ANYTHING. The year before last I stuck some starts in pots...and I had salad all summer because I didn't realize you are supposed to separate out the starts in each little dirt pod...I thought each one was a plant. So I planted 15 in a pot meant for 1 (but which I meant to plant 5) But I did have greens until winter!
Then last year I really committed to it, I brought in dirt and compost and all sorts of stuff and fenced it off and managed to get some produce!
This year we're going bigger! I'm going to have enough beans to can, and enough carrots to can, and I'm going to put in more potatoes and more cucumbers and squash.
Very excited.

Bleeding Hearts are pretty, too.

Think I'm gonna try my luck with some of those this year. Probaby gonna go the potted route with em and see how they do.

bleeding-hearts-aug022021.jpg
Bleeding hearts!
Those also grow wild here, in some spots.
One of the things I planted that flourished was CHAMOMILE. I carefully harvested the tiny flowers all summer long, and had them on a tray drying literally all summer long.
Then snoop got up on the counter one day and pulled it down. Well I'm going to do the chamomile thing again because it definitely attracted pollinators. We have a hard time getting stuff properly pollinated here on the Oregon coast.
So I'm planting more chamomile, and probably some bleeding hearts, and some other tough perennials...as well as sweet pea and whatever else I can think of. Poppies!

Haha I'm sure you aren't. My new motto is..if I can plant a producing garden, a half wit can. Because I know nothing. Though I know more than I did a year ago!
My dad and my grandparents on both sides were gardeners...but I never spent any time in their gardens so I didn't learn ANYTHING. The year before last I stuck some starts in pots...and I had salad all summer because I didn't realize you are supposed to separate out the starts in each little dirt pod...I thought each one was a plant. So I planted 15 in a pot meant for 1 (but which I meant to plant 5) But I did have greens until winter!
Then last year I really committed to it, I brought in dirt and compost and all sorts of stuff and fenced it off and managed to get some produce!
This year we're going bigger! I'm going to have enough beans to can, and enough carrots to can, and I'm going to put in more potatoes and more cucumbers and squash.
Very excited.

I can do veggie gardens pretty well. Growing up down south our garden was about the size of a football field.

Guess who got stuck doing the grunt work? Pft. Surprise!

With delicate flowers its been hit and miss, though. Think it's probably I'm planting them in the wrong soil.

Bleeding hearts!
Those also grow wild here, in some spots.
One of the things I planted that flourished was CHAMOMILE. I carefully harvested the tiny flowers all summer long, and had them on a tray drying literally all summer long.
Then snoop got up on the counter one day and pulled it down. Well I'm going to do the chamomile thing again because it definitely attracted pollinators. We have a hard time getting stuff properly pollinated here on the Oregon coast.
So I'm planting more chamomile, and probably some bleeding hearts, and some other tough perennials...as well as sweet pea and whatever else I can think of. Poppies!

My sunflowers are always loaded with honeybees. I sat out in my little meditation area a couple of summers ago and watched them come and go back and forth from the woods to the flowers.

I would have liked to have found that honey hive.

Welcome back. Even I returned. This place still largely nuts. Some banter with some liberals is ok. But don’t let their batshit crazy stupidity or their penchant for off-topic trolling get to you.
I can give as good as I get, when I'm so inclined lol.
Facebook is fun because I don't friend leftist swine. So my facebook feed (aside from the garbage spewed by the media outlets, which I follow and comment on) is a pretty safe place :)

The ground is too hard where I live for carrotts.
I live essentially in the coastal dunes. I had no idea they would do as well as they did. I still have carrots out there, though they aren't growing.

I live essentially in the coastal dunes. I had no idea they would do as well as they did. I still have carrots out there, though they aren't growing.
If you leave those carrots thru this season, they will go to seed. Then you'll have enough seed for a thousand years. They get huge with lots of branches and the seed flowers on each one. If you want to do that even with just 2 or 3 carrots to get seed, make sure there is no Queen Anne Lace anywhere nearby.

Oh, that also depends on the variety of carrot you grew last year too. If a hybrid, any seeds produced will not give you good carrots when planted again.

Forum List

Back