Cat experts..Help!

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Abby. She is just so damn weird. well, she does have lymphoma so maybe its affecting her thought waves?
Anyway..she USED to use the litter box in the bedroom. Then she stopped using it and begain to pee in the bathrub right over the drain hole. Now she is peeing on the throw rug in the kitchen, and under the table on the bare floor. So I put a new cat box under the kitchen table with the same litter Ive been using since I got her, and she stands in front of it, and peeing OUTISIDE the box. She got in it once or twice, but now her new pee spot is smack dab in front of it. All she has to do is take 2 more steps with her back legs and she is in, but nope. She makes her puddle in front of it.
I finally put a cookie tray in front of the cat box and laid 4 paper towels on it. THAT worked. For now anyway.

I order puppy training pads from amazon to put there instead of the cookie tray but I think I will continue to use it and put the pads in the tray.Eventually the vinyl fake wood floor is going to discolor and stink I presume, so the best protection I can do is the plan. But my main question is WHY is she refusing to step inside the little box? It isn't one of those high stepping fancy jobs. Just a plain jane one I got at the dollar store. Is it the tray itself? Anyone know why she is RIGHT THERE but won't go another 3 inches to get INSIDE with the litter?

Abby. She is just so damn weird. well, she does have lymphoma so maybe its affecting her thought waves?
Anyway..she USED to use the litter box in the bedroom. Then she stopped using it and begain to pee in the bathrub right over the drain hole. Now she is peeing on the throw rug in the kitchen, and under the table on the bare floor. So I put a new cat box under the kitchen table with the same litter Ive been using since I got her, and she stands in front of it, and peeing OUTISIDE the box. She got in it once or twice, but now her new pee spot is smack dab in front of it. All she has to do is take 2 more steps with her back legs and she is in, but nope. She makes her puddle in front of it.
I finally put a cookie tray in front of the cat box and laid 4 paper towels on it. THAT worked. For now anyway.

I order puppy training pads from amazon to put there instead of the cookie tray but I think I will continue to use it and put the pads in the tray.Eventually the vinyl fake wood floor is going to discolor and stink I presume, so the best protection I can do is the plan. But my main question is WHY is she refusing to step inside the little box? It isn't one of those high stepping fancy jobs. Just a plain jane one I got at the dollar store. Is it the tray itself? Anyone know why she is RIGHT THERE but won't go another 3 inches to get INSIDE with the litter?
How old is le gato?

What kind of litter are you using? Potty box issues are a message. The litter sucks big time. Or, the cat has a urinary infection and peeing is painful.

Yes, my Ma in law had a cat that would refuse to use the litter box and instead used the bathtub and then it died...

How old is le gato?
Almost a year. She is an alley cat. Took her to vet..she has feline leukemia too. She won't live long. But this is very strange behavior to switch pee spots.

One or both of two possibilities. A UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and or behavioral due to the presence of other animal smells in the house which will cause the cat to claim it's territory by marking.

The only other animal smell is Evie..my other cat. And Evie is the one that originally invited Abby to join us becaus I damn sure didn't want another stray. Alas...she is now part of the fam.

I'm thinking it may be time to send her on her way to rainbow bridge. I have just been holding it off. :(
I rescued an elderly redbone coonhound and she has an open lesion on her shoulder but she seems to be doing well I picked her up after they dumped her in February and she was easily trained to go outside after she stopped being scared., Now I am back to ten dogs...

I'm thinking it may be time to send her on her way to rainbow bridge. I have just been holding it off. :(

As much as I dont really care for cats I know it's no different than when I lose one of my Doggos for you.

Try and find a vet that will come to your house.
It's much less stressful on your four legged buddy that way.

Does she dig?

Does she dig?
No. She is a stray. Feral. Or rather, WAS feral. She pees and poops and then walks away. So far she has no pooped in any little box or in the house. She only does that outside.
I hate the idea of a little box under the kitchen table, so every time she goes...it is immediately remoed to the outside trash.

I found her across the alley, under a bush. She was about 8 months old at the time. She started getting curious and was hungry, so I would put out food for her. Then my other cat Evie began to hang out with her. Evie hates every cat she meets...except Abby. One day I left the door open so Abby could follow Evie in the house. Took about 4 months for her not to run from me even when I had a plate of food in my hands for her. Then she discovered my lap and chest. One boob is gone (mastectomy), so thats where she plants her ass....her chest on my real boob, her head against my neck and under my chin. Thats her spot, lol.
Took her to vet. Thats how I know her health problems now. Evie also has Feline Leukemia. But Evie is a bit healthier than Abby. Poor skinny thing. But...I'll hang on to her as long as she can deal with her ailments. When she begins to be more miserable than she already is....then I will send her off. Which I dread.

I rescued an elderly redbone coonhound and she has an open lesion on her shoulder but she seems to be doing well I picked her up after they dumped her in February and she was easily trained to go outside after she stopped being scared., Now I am back to ten dogs...
I miss my dogs. Never was a cat person myself. I never looked for them.They found me. In my 68 years I have had 5 cats...with Abby being the 5th.

You are a good person. I had a bacl and tan coonhound long ago. Called him Doc cuz I had to doctor him. He was half frozen in the snow when I found him as a very VERY young pup. Don't know what happened to his mama. He still had his umbilica cord.

Forum List

Back