Casualties of 9-11........

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Casualties of the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fatalities included the following:

Everyone aboard the four hijacked planes.[27] Excluding the hijackers, this includes 76 passengers and 11 crew members aboard American Airlines Flight 11; 49 passengers and 11 crew members aboard United Airlines Flight 175;[28] 53 passengers and 6 crew members aboard American Airlines Flight 77; 33 passengers and 7 crew members aboard United Airlines Flight 93.[29][30]
2,606 in New York City in the towers and on the ground:[2]
This includes 343 New York City Fire Department firefighters, including one FDNY Fire Chaplain, Franciscan Fr. Mychal Judge,[31] 23 New York City Police Department officers, and 37 Port Authority Police Department officers.[32] Casualties of the 9/11 attacks also included 15 EMTs[33] and 3 Court Officers. Approximately 2,000 first responders were also injured in the attacks.[33]
1,366 people died who were at or above the floors of impact in the North Tower (1 WTC); according to the Commission Report, hundreds were killed instantly by the impact while the rest were trapped and died after the tower collapsed (though a few people were pulled from the rubble, none of them were from above the impact zone).[34]
As many as 600 people were killed instantly or trapped at or above the floors of impact in the South Tower (2 WTC). Only about 18 managed to escape in time from above and in the impact zone and out of the South Tower before it collapsed.
About 292 people were killed at street level by burning debris and falling bodies of those who had jumped from the World Trade Center's windows.
Of those who worked below the impact zones, 110 were among those killed in the attacks. The 9/11 Commission notes that this fact strongly indicates that evacuation below the impact zones was a success, allowing most to safely evacuate before the collapse of the World Trade Center.[35]
A bomb sniffing dog named Sirius.[36]
125 in the Pentagon[37]
[edit] Foreign casualties This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2011)

Apart from the approximately 2,669 United States casualties, 372 foreign nationals (excluding the nineteen perpetrators), representing just over 12% of the total number of deaths, also perished in the attacks. The following is a list of their nationalities (not accounting for some cases of dual citizenship). By far the foreign country with the largest loss of life was the United Kingdom, with 67 deaths (including the overseas territory of Bermuda). Dominican Republic lost 47, India lost 41, South Korea lost 28 and Canada and Japan lost 24 each. Colombia lost seventeen and Jamaica, Mexico and the Philippines lost sixteen each. Trinidad and Tobago lost fourteen. Australia and Germany lost eleven each, while Italy lost ten.

It's hard to imagine that many dying at once on American soil.

I always think it's a good idea to realize that people were not all American. I know we think it honors them to claim them as part of our own, but they were not. Their countries lost citizens too. We should respect that.

I always think it's a good idea to realize that people were not all American. I know we think it honors them to claim them as part of our own, but they were not. Their countries lost citizens too. We should respect that.

Thanks for getting it. That's why I posted this.

The ROTC at the local university placed individual flags on the main lawn, representing the deceased's country of origin. I think it was a good gesture.

eiu.jpg

Forum List

Back