Cast Iron/Stainless steel pan seasoning

I gotta get me some sea salt. And a set of wooden spatulas. I have rubber but would prefer wood.

Yeah...wood works well but a hard plastic spatula works better for getting rid of stuck on stuff with boiling water.
I have a dedicated spatula just for cleaning my cast iron because it kinda fucks em up.
I have dogs preclean the pan and I have nothing to scrub off.

Shiiiiit.....dogs got nothing on crabs.
You can burn in some serious shit and set the pan by the waters edge and in the morning it's totally spotless.
Found that out by accident one weekend.
I know that but the dogs lick the grease and it doesn't go in my drain.

Who the fuck is dumb enough to pour grease down their drain?
Many, many people do.

I gotta get me some sea salt. And a set of wooden spatulas. I have rubber but would prefer wood.

Yeah...wood works well but a hard plastic spatula works better for getting rid of stuck on stuff with boiling water.
I have a dedicated spatula just for cleaning my cast iron because it kinda fucks em up.

You can burn in some serious shit and set the pan by the waters edge and in the morning it's totally spotless.

Many, many people do.

Are they all from Jokelahoma?

So far...doing good on the Lodge cast iron. Tomorrow...after I season my stainless steel pan...I will do my egg...just to test it out. :)

So..I tossed all my teflon after watching Dark Water movie. Too late now, probably already poisoned, but...what the hell. I tossed them all. Ordered a Lodge Cast Iron 6.5 inch pan, and the same size in a stainless steel pan. Both had reviews saying to season the stainless steel...but to NOT use olive oil. I don't have vegetable oil. Someone said I can cook some bacon and that would do well. The cast iron is preseasoned but reviews said not enough and to do it again.

Well..I have never used cast iron OR stainless steel as a fry pan. I like me eggs and bacon, lol. So...any suggestions for a newbie on both types of pan to make the eggs slide out and not stick, the proper way to season both pans, and in general how to keep them in good condition?

I use both type. You don't need to season stainless steel. I am not sure if you could season it it would be really stainless steel. They do stick but are super easy to get clean.
If you season your stainless steel pans they won't stick. That's the whole point of seasoning them in the first place.

And if they start getting sticky after a while you can just re-season them.
That's for carbon steel pans.

So..I tossed all my teflon after watching Dark Water movie. Too late now, probably already poisoned, but...what the hell. I tossed them all. Ordered a Lodge Cast Iron 6.5 inch pan, and the same size in a stainless steel pan. Both had reviews saying to season the stainless steel...but to NOT use olive oil. I don't have vegetable oil. Someone said I can cook some bacon and that would do well. The cast iron is preseasoned but reviews said not enough and to do it again.

Well..I have never used cast iron OR stainless steel as a fry pan. I like me eggs and bacon, lol. So...any suggestions for a newbie on both types of pan to make the eggs slide out and not stick, the proper way to season both pans, and in general how to keep them in good condition?

I use both type. You don't need to season stainless steel. I am not sure if you could season it it would be really stainless steel. They do stick but are super easy to get clean.
If you season your stainless steel pans they won't stick. That's the whole point of seasoning them in the first place.

And stainless steel pans too. Properly seasoning a stainless steel pan makes it so slick that you can flip an egg by blowing at the side of it.

However, stainless steel just doesn't hold the seasoning as well as a cast iron pan, so you have to re-season them periodically.

And stainless steel pans too. Properly seasoning a stainless steel pan makes it so slick that you can flip an egg by blowing at the side of it.

However, stainless steel just doesn't hold the seasoning as well as a cast iron pan, so you have to re-season them periodically.

I sugar blast em so the polymerized oil has something to stick to.
Makes a huge difference.

I never heard that about stainless. Been using cast iron and carbon steel skillets for decades.

In cast iron cook your eggs in the bacon grease but they still might stick.

Butter. Butter is an egg's best friend.
You would love this 18th century scrambled egg recipe. It's delicious.

8 eggs, a dash of salt and nutmeg, a spoon full of cream and a quarter pound of butter. (a 1/4 pound is a whole stick of butter)

You can most certainly season stainless. I do,I also season my carbon steel De Buyer pans.
To really make your cast iron nice if you're not willing to ass up the money for a Field or a Smithey you should use an electric rotary sander on them to smooth them out and then sugar blast them. This will leave microscopic holes for the polymerized oils to stick so they dont flake off.
You can do the sanding yourself for the price of a cheap rotary sander and some sand paper and have a local company sugar blast them for really cheap.
You'll have turned a cheap Lodge Pan into something almost as good as a $200 Field pan for the price of a $38 dollar rotary sander investment and some sand paper.
And you'll have that rotary sander to do other cast pans in the future.

The Field pans are Really Nice and super slick!!!!
But they are pricey.View attachment 458683
I read somewhere that Lodge leaves them a little rough to prevent the seasoning from flaking off. I've had a Lodge skillet for decades that I always keep in my conversion van with my fishing gear so I don't forget it. And I've never had any problem with it flaking.

Then a few years ago I thought I bought a set of 3 Lodge skillets with a reversible griddle/grill. I got them at JC Penny's going out of business sale. A great deal, only $27 for the whole set.

The thing is, the box they came in said Lodge and made in the USA, the literature in the inside the box said Lodge and made in the USA, and the skillets had the Lodge labels on them with an American flag, however, about a year later I noticed that the circle on the bottom of the skillets didn't have the Lodge USA logo in it. Instead it said PRE-SEASONED CAST IRON CHINA.

They're counterfeit! No wonder they were so cheap.

Last edited:

You can most certainly season stainless. I do,I also season my carbon steel De Buyer pans.
To really make your cast iron nice if you're not willing to ass up the money for a Field or a Smithey you should use an electric rotary sander on them to smooth them out and then sugar blast them. This will leave microscopic holes for the polymerized oils to stick so they dont flake off.
You can do the sanding yourself for the price of a cheap rotary sander and some sand paper and have a local company sugar blast them for really cheap.
You'll have turned a cheap Lodge Pan into something almost as good as a $200 Field pan for the price of a $38 dollar rotary sander investment and some sand paper.
And you'll have that rotary sander to do other cast pans in the future.

The Field pans are Really Nice and super slick!!!!
But they are pricey.View attachment 458683
I read somewhere that Lodge leaves them a little rough to prevent the seasoning from flaking off. I've had a Lodge skillet for decades that I always kept in my van with my fishing gear so I wouldn't forget it. And I've never had any problem with it flaking.

Then a few years ago I thought I bought a set of 3 Lodge skillets with a reversible griddle/grill. I got them at JC Penny's going out of business sale. A great deal, only $27 for the whole set.

The thing is, the box they came in said Lodge and made in the USA, the literature in the inside the box said Lodge and made in the USA, and the skillets had the Lodge labels on them with an American flag, however, about a year later I noticed that the circle on the bottom of the skillets didn't have the Lodge USA logo in it. Instead it said PRE-SEASONED CAST IRON CHINA.

They're counterfeit! No wonder they were so cheap.

Nah..the old lodge pans were slick just like the new high end cast iron pans are.
Cast Iron is naturally porous even when smooth.

So far...doing good on the Lodge cast iron. Tomorrow...after I season my stainless steel pan...I will do my egg...just to test it out. :)
I think I need to season the stainless steel again. Bacon stuck in some places. I used coconut out to season it before experimenting. Didn't try the egg cuz if the bacon stuck, I could imagine what the egg would do. So...gonna season it a second time. Youtube is full of vids on how to do it, too. One chef said SLOW heat, wait for it to smoke, remove from heat, let cool, wipe out. If you can see your face in the reflection after wiping it all out, you did good. Well..I saw my face, but the bacon still stuck. So...rinsed it out with hot water and my wooden scraper, and it all came off. Some chefs say to season it with the coconut oil 4 times. That..that's what I'm gonna do. Soon as I am done with my nap, lol.

You would love this 18th century scrambled egg recipe. It's delicious.
8 eggs, a dash of salt and nutmeg, a spoon full of cream and a quarter pound of butter. (a 1/4 pound is a whole stick of butter)

That is a bit similar to how a gourmet chef taught me to prepare eggs.

• I usually use 4-6 eggs at a time.
  • You add in a lot of butter to taste.
  • You whisk the eggs over a very low heat until they just start to thicken then take them off the heat completely and keep whisking more to keep things liquid. Repeat several times, each time bringing them closer to thickening point.
  • At the last moment when the eggs want to finally form a scrambled egg, take them off heat and throw in a generous dollop of crème fraîche. I usually don't have that but you can substitute sour cream. Keep whisking to melt and blend in the creme off heat.
  • Blend that in quickly under low heat and now allow the eggs to softly form just as the last of the creme blends in. Season to taste.
  • Serve with your favorite toast. You'll have the lightest, fluffiest, dreamiest eggs imaginable.

I think I need to season the stainless steel again. Bacon stuck in some places. I used coconut out to season it before experimenting. Didn't try the egg cuz if the bacon stuck, I could imagine what the egg would do. So...gonna season it a second time. Youtube is full of vids on how to do it, too. One chef said SLOW heat, wait for it to smoke, remove from heat, let cool, wipe out. If you can see your face in the reflection after wiping it all out, you did good. Well..I saw my face, but the bacon still stuck. So...rinsed it out with hot water and my wooden scraper, and it all came off. Some chefs say to season it with the coconut oil 4 times. That..that's what I'm gonna do. Soon as I am done with my nap, lol.

The more times you season the better.
I seasoned my De Buyer carbon steel pans a dozen times before I ever used them.
AC893133-D84A-425A-ACCA-D8AEEA264276_1_201_a.jpeg

Same with the my Blackstone griddle.
86ABD951-D702-4B6A-AC8B-D6A38C445267.jpeg

Another dumbquestion....do you use a bristle brush scrubber for the iron OR the steel? I've just been using a wood spatula but the stainless is a bit harder to clean that way. I have those green scrubbers but I'm afraid to use it. So...hot water and a paper towel, then grease it back up again, wipe, done.

And if I need a scrubber..any particular kind?

Another dumbquestion....do you use a bristle brush scrubber for the iron OR the steel? I've just been using a wood spatula but the stainless is a bit harder to clean that way. I have those green scrubbers but I'm afraid to use it. So...hot water and a paper towel, then grease it back up again, wipe, done.

The thing you're trying to protect in all pans is the seasoning not the metal.
At worst I'll use boiling water and salt to scrub it out and you do that gently.
You can use the green scrubbers but they're a bit coarse and will remove your seasoning.
Go online and get some gray scotch brite pads,they'll actually polish your seasoning and make it smoother,use oil with the gray scotch brite and wipe,then place it in the oven to restore it.
You sometimes have to give up on the seasoning if it gets too damaged to restore.
At that point you put the pan in the oven on broil until the seasoning turns to ash and you start over.

The same people who think it's a good idea to put garbage in their pipes?

The thing you're trying to protect in all pans is the seasoning not the metal.
At worst I'll use boiling water and salt to scrub it out and you do that gently.
You can use the green scrubbers but they're a bit coarse and will remove your seasoning.
Go online and get some gray scotch brite pads,they'll actually polish your seasoning and make it smoother,use oil with the gray scotch brite and wipe,then place it in the oven to restore it.
You sometimes have to give up on the seasoning if it gets too damaged to restore.
At that point you put the pan in the oven on broil until the seasoning turns to ash and you start over.
Ordered some. :)

Forum List

Back