Carry choice question

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I've carried a Ruger SP-101 for a while now in warm weather. It's a 5 shot 357 magnum revolver with a 2.25 inch barrel. The ballistics out of that gun for a 357 are not impressive. Recently I have acquired a new S&W Shield EZ 9mm that holds 9 rounds. It claims to have a 3.675 inch barrel length. Given that the 9mm round in a hair longer than one inch this gives a little longer barrel than the 357. I'm thinking of starting to carry the shield instead of the 357 in warm weather because it has nearly double the fire power and very close to the same amount of muzzle energy. What do you think?

I carry the SP 101 myself. And the Lbs on target exceed that of the 9mm. I'm fine with both, but one has to consider which factor may be most important. Power, or capacity? Then there's reload time...

• Banned
I carry the SP 101 myself. And the Lbs on target exceed that of the 9mm. I'm fine with both, but one has to consider which factor may be most important. Power, or capacity? Then there's reload time...
I was gonna use +p in the shield for carry.

• Banned
I EDC a 1970 Colt Cobra in .38 special.....I don't feel the least bit under-gunned.
I don't feel under gunned, I just want more fire power, if it looks like a good swap.

• Banned
Capacity is a real advantage.
I did a trigger job on the Ruger and it makes a big difference. All you do is change two springs. I have a video if you want and Wolff Springs sells the springs for around ten bucks.

I did a trigger job on the Ruger and it makes a big difference. All you do is change two springs. I have a video if you want and Wolff Springs sells the springs for around ten bucks.
Sure. Send me the PM.

Ruger DAs are so simple to work on. I did the same thing on a old 3" stainless .357 Speed Six. It was DA only with a bobbed hammer so I put a new hammer in it too and made it SA/DA.

I carried it hunting for years and ended-up giving it to my nephew when I picked-up a 4" .357 Colt Trooper MK III in the Coltguard finish.
3 002 (2).JPG

I've carried a Ruger SP-101 for a while now in warm weather. It's a 5 shot 357 magnum revolver with a 2.25 inch barrel. The ballistics out of that gun for a 357 are not impressive. Recently I have acquired a new S&W Shield EZ 9mm that holds 9 rounds. It claims to have a 3.675 inch barrel length. Given that the 9mm round in a hair longer than one inch this gives a little longer barrel than the 357. I'm thinking of starting to carry the shield instead of the 357 in warm weather because it has nearly double the fire power and very close to the same amount of muzzle energy. What do you think?
How does accuracy compare between the two? I would go with the one I could shoot most accurately.

Then there's the reality that a revolver isn't going to malfunction.

How does accuracy compare between the two? I would go with the one I could shoot most accurately.

Then there's the reality that a revolver isn't going to malfunction.
I didn't see this, but for self defense ranges the SP 101 is good enough. The nine is about the same or maybe a little better with more fire power.

If you are a sucker for "impressive ballistics" you will probably never be satisfied. Get something you can comfortably carry even if it's a wimpy .38 and aim for center mass if you get in trouble and hope you never have to use it.

I have one of those EZs. I like it. I carry it the winter when wearing a jacket. I normally carry the M & P 9 Shield Plus. Comes one 13 round magazine and one 10 round,

I have one of those EZs. I like it. I carry it the winter when wearing a jacket. I normally carry the M & P 9 Shield Plus. Comes one 13 round magazine and one 10 round,

This one has a 15 round mag.

Anyone in a safe gun society that believes they need to walk around in public with a loaded gun, they're totally unsuitable to be a gun owner. Hence why America suffers high gun deaths, poor mentality.

Forum List

Back