Cardinal Sako: Rebuilding the unity of Christians and Iraq, starting from a new priest for Mosul

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Thursday the Chaldean primate received a red hat from Pope Francis. It is a sign of "support" for the Eastern Churches and a further invitation "to dialogue and reconciliation". The hope that "Christian schools, clinics, institutes and hospitals" may also arise in Iraq as a tangible sign of the community’s presence. The beatification of Fr. Ragheed "example of sacrifice that bears fruit".

AsiaNews met the Chaldean primate a few hours before the ceremony. Here is what he shared with us:

Patriarch Sako, what value does a cardinal have for the Church in Iraq?

With this choice Pope Francis wanted to send a strong signal of support to the Eastern Churches. The appointment goes in this direction. It is also a message to Iraqi Christians, for us it means: 'Even if I cannot come, I am near you, I encourage you to stay and hope, to be patient, commit yourself to changing the situation'. It is an appeal to the Iraqi political class: everyone knows the importance and influence that the Vatican exercises at an international level. Muslims have taken this nomination as a further invitation to reconciliation, dialogue, common commitment to the rebirth of our nation. A choice with a high symbolic value, as the appointment as cardinal of the apostolic nuncio in Syria, Mario Zenari was also at the time.
Cardinal Sako: Rebuilding the unity of Christians and Iraq, starting from a new priest for Mosul

Rebuilding. I guess.

Forum List

Back