Carbon Credits Are The New "Blood Diamonds"

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
KICUCULA, Uganda — According to the company’s proposal to join a United Nations clean-air program, the settlers living in this area left in a “peaceful” and “voluntary” manner.

People here remember it quite differently.

“I heard people being beaten, so I ran outside,” said Emmanuel Cyicyima, 33. “The houses were being burnt down.”

Other villagers described gun-toting soldiers and an 8-year-old child burning to death when his home was set ablaze by security officers.

“They said if we hesitated they would shoot us,” said William Bakeshisha, adding that he hid in his coffee plantation, watching his house burn down. “Smoke and fire.”

The case twists around an emerging multibillion-dollar market trading carbon-credits under the Kyoto Protocol, which contains mechanisms for outsourcing environmental protection to developing nations.

The company involved, New Forests Company, grows forests in African countries with the purpose of selling credits from the carbon-dioxide its trees soak up to polluters abroad. Its investors include the World Bank, through its private investment arm, and the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, HSBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/world/africa/in-scramble-for-land-oxfam-says-ugandans-were-pushed-out.html

Yeah this is an example of one of the reasons I think that the CAP and TRADE carbon credit idea is going to lead to serious problems.

KICUCULA, Uganda — According to the company’s proposal to join a United Nations clean-air program, the settlers living in this area left in a “peaceful” and “voluntary” manner.

“I heard people being beaten, so I ran outside,” said Emmanuel Cyicyima, 33. “The houses were being burnt down.”

Other villagers described gun-toting soldiers and an 8-year-old child burning to death when his home was set ablaze by security officers.

“They said if we hesitated they would shoot us,” said William Bakeshisha, adding that he hid in his coffee plantation, watching his house burn down. “Smoke and fire.”

The case twists around an emerging multibillion-dollar market trading carbon-credits under the Kyoto Protocol, which contains mechanisms for outsourcing environmental protection to developing nations.

The company involved, New Forests Company, grows forests in African countries with the purpose of selling credits from the carbon-dioxide its trees soak up to polluters abroad. Its investors include the World Bank, through its private investment arm, and the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, HSBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/world/africa/in-scramble-for-land-oxfam-says-ugandans-were-pushed-out.html

Why am I not surprised? And the stupid Africans being used know not that they are in fact also digging their own graves!

These are the very reasons why some African thinkers are very suspicious of our so-called developed nations. Most of these developed nations have a long history of wanting to abase Africa. And it never seizes to amaze me how any African would believe people with long history of disdain towards Africans would suddenly have the best interest of Africans and Africa in mind.

Ironic story.

Me, I think CAP AND TRADE carbon credits are going to become a serious problem, right? I think this will beome more like INDULGENCEs than a real solution to the carbon pollution problem.

Last week I assigned my carbon credits (due to winterizing my home) to a not-for-profit that winterizes people's homes.

See?

This is how they get ya!

Basically it becomes nearly impossible NOT to play the game by their rules.

Exactly what the thoughtful knew would happen, while the manipulators just care about their green venture investments.

Forum List

Back