Cancel student debt? The petitions begin.....

Unfair and bad idea. Student debt came about because students borrowed money. While I think the loans should be next to zero percent interest paying only whatever processing/paperwork costs were involved, but not so much interest that it's a business instead of investment in brainpower for the future, wiping the debt is wholely unfair to the lenders. Adjusting the interest is fair though. Getting back your principle lent is fair and equittable instead of borrowers defaulting on the debt altogether.

That attending university involves borrowing money (read, to read books) is itself counter-intuitive. Can retrieve all the information you'll get at univeristy on the internet now. So what's university selling that it's so expensive?

Unfortunately, universities have become a business selling something massively overvalued. They're not selling education, since as above, we can get that same education for free online. Instead what they're selling is a piece of paper claiming you now know something about whatever your degree is in. The university's prestige and reputation is what's in fact being sold. A degree from Harvard is more valuable than the same degree from Arizona State say :) But the facts by and large are identical being facts are facts and wont change from one place to another. And a person could get those same facts for free and thus have the same knowledge but not the same piece of paper or official recognition they supposedly know the material.

Hmmm......well, since Obama seems to come from the Krugman School of Goofball Economics, I give it 2-1 chances of happening before the end of 2016!!! When you can go ahead and ban ammo with the stroke of a pen, this is a cinch!!:2up:

cancel it or divert it

i say if it is to be canceled then no one should be left holding the bill

certainly not the public

What the???
Please explain to us just how a debt can be cancelled without anyone holding the bill???

:popcorn:

-----------------------------
Bailout Recipients

We're tracking where taxpayer money has gone in the ongoing bailout of the financial system. Our database accounts for both the broader $700 billion billand the separate bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

For each entity, we provide a “Net Outstanding” amount, which shows how deep taxpayers are in the hole after accounting for any revenue the government has received (usually through interest or dividends).

Name Type State Total Disbursed Profit /
Net Outstanding
Fannie Mae Government-Sponsored Enterprise D.C. $116,149,000,000 $18,286,000,000
Freddie Mac Government-Sponsored Enterprise Va. $71,336,000,000 $19,633,000,000
AIG
Received other federal aid. Click to see details. Insurance Company N.Y. $67,835,000,000 $5,025,967,492
General Motors Auto Company Mich. $50,744,648,329 -$11,410,472,582
Bank of America
Received other federal aid. Click to see details. Bank N.C. $45,000,000,000 $4,566,857,694
Citigroup
Received other federal aid. Click to see details. Bank N.Y. $45,000,000,000 $13,448,572,616
JPMorgan Chase Bank N.Y. $25,000,000,000 $1,731,202,357
Wells Fargo Bank Calif. $25,000,000,000 $2,281,347,113
GMAC (now Ally Financial) Financial Services Company Mich. $16,290,000,000 $3,057,502,589
Chrysler Auto Company Mich. $10,748,284,222 -$1,315,061,737
Goldman Sachs Bank N.Y. $10,000,000,000 $1,418,055,555

Morgan Stanley

Sounds great. Do it. Educating yourself should not cost an arm and a leg and saddled with debt before you even get your first job. The usual argument of paying the professors etc well gee how do we pay teachers from k-12!? Same damn way...TAXES! We all pay we all should benefit. Stop with foreign aid,military adventurism,lower military budget by half at least and deport ALL illegals.

cancel it or divert it

certainly not the public

What the???
Please explain to us just how a debt can be cancelled without anyone holding the bill???

dont make the debt

certainly dont make a debt and then expect others to cover it

i am willing to bet if students could not easily get massive loans

the cost of college would drop rapidly and significantly

if there is any "debt" it should be strictly between the school and the student

cancel it or divert it

certainly not the public

What the???

dont make the debt

while i like the concept of students not having debt, the rest of your post is absurd. rich people will always be able to pay the cost of college and the cost isn't about to go down.

nice fantasy.

cancel it or divert it

certainly not the public

What the???

dont make the debt

So what you are saying is, just like the mortgage industry, the government getting involved in ANY industry only increases cost/corruption and decreases quality.
Just like healthcare too?

cancel it or divert it

certainly not the public

What the???

dont make the debt

So what you are saying is, just like the mortgage industry, the government getting involved in ANY industry only increases cost/corruption and decreases quality.
Just like healthcare too?
exactly

cancel it or divert it

certainly not the public

What the???

dont make the debt

while i like the concept of students not having debt, the rest of your post is absurd. rich people will always be able to pay the cost of college and the cost isn't about to go down.

nice fantasy.

apparently you are unfamiliar with the things colleges are charging to the students

knowing damn well that the students would never ever pay for such bs if the money came out of their pockets up front

we're the only civilized country that puts a college education out of reach of most people.

are you proud of that?

because the system has been allowed to get so frikkin expensive

yokie dokie.

and yet it's not almost everywhere else. isn't that funny?
yes whereever the government has stepped in

College tuition rates have risen as a direct effect of government wasting $BILLIONS on student loan grants/subsidies to people who have no business going to college in the first place. The average community college drop-out rates are OVER 90%. That is unbelievable, and a tremendous waste of taxpayer dollars.
Also - you will of course notice that colleges everywhere are building outrageously expensive quad apartment complexes that they are overcharging students that is nothing less than extortion of taxpayer dollars.
Nobody - no one - no way- no how would pay $700-$1200 a month for one 100sq ft. bedroom and a shared bathroom unless it is paid by someone else.

But you cannot get liberals to make a single comment on this. In fact they will tell you the government should be giving more grants.

Forum List

Back