Canadian "scholar of violent conflict" Thomas Homer-Dixon predicts Trump is re-elected in 2024 & US becomes a dictatorship and a threat to Canada

Hopefully...
I don't see much of a future for Unions I'm afraid. Wealth Osmosis is like a social steam roller and a natural force that is damn hard to counter.
Oh unions are on the come back. Recently UAW union threatened a strike. UPS union got their raise.

Companies spend a lot of money breaking unions. Employees are constantly trying to form unions. Most employees would join/organize but the company tells them if they do the company will leave.

My brother is a HR VP for a Fortune 500. He admits unions are necessary for workers. He said the ideal situation is just the threat of a union. Then you don't have the waste/fraud/abuse/corruption and costs of a union. Just the fear of a union makes companies give cost of living increases. They don't do it because it's the right thing to do.

This is why since 1978 CEO pay went up 1322% and our wages only 18%. And in that same time union membership went from 35% of our workforce to about 9% today. NO COINCIDENCE.

So what you said is ludicris. It's what the corporations/republicans want you to believe.

The opinion in the Canadian newspaper by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a political scientist, stating that Canada must prepare for America becoming an authoritarian state made me want to cry and rage simultaneously. This country has fallen unimaginably far. The world is watching.

excerpts:

We mustnā€™t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine. In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.

Iā€™m a scholar of violent conflict. For more than 40 years, Iā€™ve studied and published on the causes of war, social breakdown, revolution, ethnic violence and genocide, and for nearly two decades I led a centre on peace and conflict studies at the University of Toronto.

Today, as I watch the unfolding crisis in the United States, I see a political and social landscape flashing with warning signals.

Iā€™m not surprised by whatā€™s happening there ā€“ not at all. During my graduate work in the United States in the 1980s, I sometimes listened to Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio talk show host and later television personality. I remarked to friends at the time that, with each broadcast, it was if Mr. Limbaugh were wedging the sharp end of a chisel into a faint crack in the moral authority of U.S. political institutions, and then slamming the other end of that chisel with a hammer.

In the decades since, week after week, year after year, Mr. Limbaugh and his fellow travelers have hammered away ā€“ their blowsā€™ power lately amplified through social media and outlets such as Fox News and Newsmax. The cracks have steadily widened, ramified, connected and propagated deeply into Americaā€™s once-esteemed institutions, profoundly compromising their structural integrity. The country is becoming increasingly ungovernable, and some experts believe it could descend into civil war

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being ā€œreplaced.ā€ The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their countryā€™s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government canā€™t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

except canada is already a dictatorship so its all good

Forum List

Back