Canada is still ‘flying blind’ when it comes to using technology to deliver health care

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Canadas police state is nearly bankrupt. Sadly, as we go the way of the Dodo Bird, we do so lacking innovation and adoption of technology that even some 3rd World Countries are applying, especially in healthcare.

Although it can sometimes seem as if digital technology has fully saturated every aspect of our lives, there are plenty of sectors that, in fact, barely use it.

There’s a pretty wide spectrum, from early adopters such as finance, professional services and media, to industries like agriculture and hospitality that could be considered holdouts.

Until recently, the health-care industry has generally occupied a position on the lower-tech end of the scale. Things are changing quickly, however, especially over the past 15 months, which saw the pandemic accelerate the digitization of health care.

“It’s not that the technology advanced profoundly during the pandemic,” says Dr. Michael Anderson, a researcher at the Waakebiness-Bryce Institute for Indigenous Health, part of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at the University of Toronto. “I think it’s the management and social structures that changed. All sorts of things have been possible from a technological perspective for a long time, but there wasn’t ever the willpower.

“The human component was very slow to change,” continues Anderson, who is also chief medical officer at Verto Health, a health-care technology company. “Necessity unlocked the potential that was already there.”

Canadas police state is nearly bankrupt. Sadly, as we go the way of the Dodo Bird, we do so lacking innovation and adoption of technology that even some 3rd World Countries are applying, especially in healthcare.

Although it can sometimes seem as if digital technology has fully saturated every aspect of our lives, there are plenty of sectors that, in fact, barely use it.

There’s a pretty wide spectrum, from early adopters such as finance, professional services and media, to industries like agriculture and hospitality that could be considered holdouts.

Until recently, the health-care industry has generally occupied a position on the lower-tech end of the scale. Things are changing quickly, however, especially over the past 15 months, which saw the pandemic accelerate the digitization of health care.

“It’s not that the technology advanced profoundly during the pandemic,” says Dr. Michael Anderson, a researcher at the Waakebiness-Bryce Institute for Indigenous Health, part of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at the University of Toronto. “I think it’s the management and social structures that changed. All sorts of things have been possible from a technological perspective for a long time, but there wasn’t ever the willpower.

“The human component was very slow to change,” continues Anderson, who is also chief medical officer at Verto Health, a health-care technology company. “Necessity unlocked the potential that was already there.”

The Dominions of Canada has implemented a risky socialized medicine scheme which really discourages the advancement of technology.

Health care providers aren't in competition with each other, don't have to make efforts to attract/ retain customers.

So new tech is just a waste.

My personal healthcare army is mainly digitized to an extraordinary extent. I am under the care of at least 5 doctors (heart, prostate, sports-related injuries, etc), and they ALL have total access to my records, procedures, medications, etc. My appointments are scheduled and maintained centrally, as are tests, labs, PT, etc. Even though my Covid shots were administered by a Walmart pharmacy, it is also included in the information on my electronic file.

And each of the doctors is totally satisfactory.

This I have with a combination of Medicare and a "Supplement" that handles most co-pays and deductibles.

All very satisfactory, however, I must point out that I am a white, cis-gender male, with gobs of "privilege" on my side.

Forum List

Back