Can you identify this dead bird?

View attachment 336826
I know this seems sort of morbid but I saw this dead bird and immediately noticed how yellow it is. The only birds I ever saw with yellow feathers were tropical birds in photographs. Pretty little bird. First yellow bird I ever seen with my eyes.

Laying there on a picnic bench, must've eaten something poisonous.
I'm saying a prayer right now for the lil thing. Don't worry. All birds go to heaven to keep crapping on us.
Funny how some people here will pray for a dead bird while others here tell people living under bridges without even a home to claim as their own they don't even deserve welfare or other help, it's all their fault and a burden to society and should die. Maybe he was just a dumb bird, a burden to bird society who flew into the picnic table to end it all because none of the other birds around would even give him a leg up?

View attachment 336826
I know this seems sort of morbid but I saw this dead bird and immediately noticed how yellow it is. The only birds I ever saw with yellow feathers were tropical birds in photographs. Pretty little bird. First yellow bird I ever seen with my eyes.

Laying there on a picnic bench, must've eaten something poisonous.
It's a goldfinch. The males get real jazzy in spring to attract the ladies. There are "purple" ones too (more dusky red, really). They love thistle seed. Put some in a little feeder outside your window and you'll see lots of them.

View attachment 336837

They don't, apparently, need seeds at the hillbilly bird park I've made here This is the first year I'm seeing them, but those rat bastards steal from the hummingbirds till it's all gone. Beewhackers!

I had to google them cuz I'd never seen one. But I'm keeping my eye on those little thieves now.

Funny how some people here will pray for a dead bird while others here tell people living under bridges without even a home to claim as their own they don't even deserve welfare or other help, it's all their fault and a burden to society and should die. Maybe he was just a dumb bird, a burden to bird society who flew into the picnic table to end it all because none of the other birds around would even give him a leg up?

Crow society is very strict about following flock rules. There's a thing called a "crow's court"....very rare...I've seen one.... up on Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix. About 30 crows were sitting in a palo verde tree squawking to beat the band.....This went on for about 20 minutes...then they all attacked a single crow which probably had an idea it was in deep shit. They swarmed it, pecking away, until it fell out of the tree dead. Then they started squawking again and all flew away. Probably was messing with the wrong girl crow or more than one and the boys decided they'd had enough of his antics....it was pretty brutal.

Crow society is very strict about following flock rules. There's a thing called a "crow's court"....very rare...I've seen one.... up on Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix. About 30 crows were sitting in a palo verde tree squawking to beat the band.....This went on for about 20 minutes...then they all attacked a single crow which probably had an idea it was in deep shit. They swarmed it, pecking away, until it fell out of the tree dead. Then they started squawking again and all flew away. Probably was messing with the wrong girl crow or more than one and the boys decided they'd had enough of his antics....it was pretty brutal.
Crows are Badass. There is a definite hierarchy in the bird empire you just don't violate and all birds respect. Step out of line and they will let you know. If you ever watch birds, you will see this anytime two different kinds of birds meet. There is an immediate dominance of the one bird and an immediate submission of the other. It's never a: "Hey, how is your day going? How's the misses?!"

AFAICT, in my area, the major bird type hierarchy goes something like this:
  1. SPARROW. He submits to everyone. He's the bitch.
  2. CARDINAL. He kicks Sparrow's ass.
  3. ROBIN: He bullies the Cardinal.
  4. BLUEJAY: He chases the Robin away.
  5. BLACKBIRD: No one fucks with him.
  6. Except the CROW: Don't even look his way. He can kill you with just a look. Crows don't even hardly fear people, they merely respect you.

Forum List

Back