Can you get around temp history adjustments and homogenization?

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
Steve Goddard's Real Science blog is often over the top in its vehemently skeptical attitude but........he often has interesting ideas.

one of his ideas is to simply count up how many days are above a certain temperature, like 90F or 100F (he typically uses US data because it is more complete and superior to just about anywhere else in the world). using actual daily data gets around the adjustments made by computer algorithms.

but are high temperatures a realistic proxy for warming? perhaps not but we seem to be willing to accept tree ring evidence that is limited to growing season temps. the percentage of high daily temps does not support the notion of exaggerated warming.

another of his ideas was to compare stations that took readings in the afternoon to one that were read in the morning, to check for TOBS bias. again, the data do not seem to support the large adjustments that are being made.

over and over again we are being told that the adjustments are correct, even though they comprise most of the warming trend. I wish there were some arms length benchmarking done on the homogenization algorithms. one group builds test temperature data sets with known deficiencies, another group (not NOAA or GISS) runs the programs to see if the algorithms are working properly. this should have been done years ago, and it should be done everytime there is a major revision.

And they say statistical analysis is boring. :)

Yup, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Mathematical literacy is not a prized attribute on this MB. Nor is commonsense, nor scientific principles.

I'm more useful here. Every once in a while someone gets a eureka moment.

Forum List

Back