Can You Fix Software on Merging Threads?

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
When I post to a thread and it ends up merged and moved, I no longer get any notifications that it has been, nor that there are any new posts to it. Can you fix the software so that there is some kind of notification at all? Now, I don't mean when I'm the author of a thread that gets moved, there are notifications for that. I just mean threads I have posted to.

When I post to a thread and it ends up merged and moved, I no longer get any notifications that it has been, nor that there are any new posts to it. Can you fix the software so that there is some kind of notification at all? Now, I don't mean when I'm the author of a thread that gets moved, there are notifications for that. I just mean threads I have posted to.

Notifications work on EVERY reply you are mentioned in.. Unless you edit your settings else wise. The thread NAME will of course be the NEW title that results from the merge..

Realize that "alerts" are NOT instantaneous and not COMPLETELY reliable. If the system is very loaded or there is heavy maintenance goin on, sometimes the high volume tasks like maintaining "new posts", "new topics" or alerts will sometimes get shorted.. I'd say the post mentions alerts are about 98% reliable..

Notifications work on EVERY reply you are mentioned in.. Unless you edit your settings else wise. The thread NAME will of course be the NEW title that results from the merge..

Realize that "alerts" are NOT instantaneous and not COMPLETELY reliable. If the system is very loaded or there is heavy maintenance goin on, sometimes the high volume tasks like maintaining "new posts", "new topics" or alerts will sometimes get shorted.. I'd say the post mentions alerts are about 98% reliable..

Yes but normally you get a notification from the thread even if there is just a new post, even if your name is not mentioned in it or you are quoted. That is at least as long as you visit the thread in between notifications. Now however, even if I visit a thread since the last post, if that thread is merged with a different one, I don't get the next notification and have no idea what happened to the thread.

Yes but normally you get a notification from the thread even if there is just a new post, even if your name is not mentioned in it or you are quoted.

ooowww no.. Not unless you select that thread to "follow".. And there's where a merge might break your habit of following threads and getting alerts on EVERYTHING posted in that thread..

If you don't choose to follow the thread, dont expect alerts on posts that dont have your previous content in its "link back quotes"...

I don't KNOW if "follows" work after a merge is done and the "redirect link" we leave for the ones that got merged expire... Never tested that personally..

If your thread was merged into another thread that you didn't post in, then your notification will fail because you are now in a different thread.

If your thread was merged into another thread that you didn't post in, then your notification will fail because you are now in a different thread.

No.. Not necessarily.. Because notifications are the same whatever thread they occur in.. You WILL get notifications if folks reply to your content long AFTER a merge.. It just might have a different thread name because of the merge...

No.. Not necessarily.. Because notifications are the same whatever thread they occur in.. You WILL get notifications if folks reply to your content long AFTER a merge.. It just might have a different thread name because of the merge...

From my experience Notifications are tied to the THREAD title they either started or posted in, if his thread was merged into the other one, notification shouldn't work anymore, until he makes a new post that gets responded to then it will be noticed again.

Yes but normally you get a notification from the thread even if there is just a new post, even if your name is not mentioned in it or you are quoted. That is at least as long as you visit the thread in between notifications. Now however, even if I visit a thread since the last post, if that thread is merged with a different one, I don't get the next notification and have no idea what happened to the thread.

Make a new post then it should work again.

From my experience Notifications are tied to the THREAD title they either started or posted in, if his thread was merged into the other one, notification shouldn't work anymore, until he makes a new post that gets responded to then it will be noticed again.

That could be true if no one RESPONDS to posts in the old thread. But on recent merges, there's lots of activity in thread.. Folks who were in other (now merged) threads are responding to posts that they've never seen.. And my experience is that merges create MORE post alerts on pre-merge material than if the threads had all been left alone..

That could be true if no one RESPONDS to posts in the old thread. But on recent merges, there's lots of activity in thread.. Folks who were in other (now merged) threads are responding to posts that they've never seen.. And my experience is that merges create MORE post alerts on pre-merge material than if the threads had all been left alone..

You are missing the point, the OLD thread being merged with another thread loses its title to the other thread, that erases the notification because the title for which is connected to no longer exist.

I don't use notifications for this very reason and don't want my e-mail box filled either. I use the ALERTS system which is connected to POSTS only, thus always works.

You are missing the point, the OLD thread being merged with another thread loses its title to the other thread, that erases the notification because the title for which is connected to no longer exist.

No, it doesn't

No, it doesn't

Maybe this PAID software does it the way you and FlaCalTenn say, but in several FREE software I have used, it happens that way.

Has the problem here been found yet?

No, it doesn't

Maybe this PAID software does it the way you and FlaCalTenn say, but in several FREE software I have used, it happens that way.

Has the problem here been found yet?

What problem are we fixing? If the member KNOWS where the merged thread is -- they can post in it and their OLD POSTS in the merge will STILL GET NOTIFICATIONS if folks respond to those posts.

Only case that there WONT be notifications is if no one responds to posts prior to the merge and the member abandons the thread after the merge..

There IS no problem.. BIGGER PROBLEM is helping folks FIND the new merged title.. And we leave redirects links for HOURS to get that done... I sometimes mark the redirect to be active for 10 hours.

Before any custom software development company begins, they must gather a large number of details on what businesses already have in place. This includes CRM (customer relationship management) software, web analytics software, and a website. These details will become crucial throughout the process.
I think would be better to find a software developer for this.

Conservative staff here have yet to learn the merge function while the liberal staff are simply too thick to do more than delete and troll.

Forum List

Back