Can you be Anti Authoritarian on the left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JokerX27505

VIP Member
Aug 22, 2017
Keeping it short since that seems to get more of a response.

Mostly a question to those who self identify as being more left wing.
And hopefully is treated with honest responses and not just emotional venting.

Also is there a forum "topic" for just asking questions and getting honest responses from both sides of the spectrum? you know, learn why a side thinks the way the do?

You can be anti-authoritarian on either side ... it's the type of authority you are against that defines your side.

If you hate this guy ...

jlaiutdenffqxbhsylzr.jpg

Or you hate this woman ...

8415fe99d52fa8b123111a6826ccb317

Define kind of authority you are against.

Also is there a forum "topic" for just asking questions and getting honest responses from both sides of the spectrum? you know, learn why a side thinks the way the do?
I doubt being anti authoritarian has anything to do with left or right.

As far as I understand it the vast majority of "left-wing" actions are taken to remove individual freedom. I'm not making a case against this but simply confused.
Are there causes in the left wing circle where they fight for less power in the hands of Government?

Is it possible to be liberal minded but be overall against the addition of regulations laws already in place?

I'm trying my best to articulate my thoughts I understand its still going to be misconstrued as an insult to the left wing but I'm trying to understand the "overall" beliefs of "Left & Right" since everyone has different definitions, so I'm trying to formulate my own.

As far as I understand it the vast majority of "left-wing" actions are taken to remove individual freedom. I'm not making a case against this but simply confused.
Are there causes in the left wing circle where they fight for less power in the hands of Government?

Is it possible to be liberal minded but be overall against the addition of regulations laws already in place?

I'm trying my best to articulate my thoughts I understand its still going to be misconstrued as an insult to the left wing but I'm trying to understand the "overall" beliefs of "Left & Right" since everyone has different definitions, so I'm trying to formulate my own.
Youre confusing power with authority. Power is simply the ability to do something. Authority is a claim to legitimacy of the ability to do something.

Youre confusing power with authority. Power is simply the ability to do something. Authority is a claim to legitimacy of the ability to do something.
I feel like in order for the left to achieve what they desire it commonly takes away individual rights. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Um, being anti-authoritarian is pretty much what the left is all about.

I feel like in order for the left to achieve what they desire it commonly takes away individual rights. Am I wrong in that assumption?
Obviously youre wrong. If that was true people on the left would want to force women to stay pregnant even if they didnt want a child. Currently you seemed confused. Its the right that wants to strip individual rights.

Interesting can you explain more?
If the authority at hand is government do you still believe it to be true?

Obviously youre wrong. If that was true people on the left would want to force women to stay pregnant even if they didnt want a child. Currently you seemed confused. Its the right that wants to strip individual rights.
You're right I made the mistake in trying to get answering using broad strokes
Every topic and right is its own debate.
But thank you for attempting to answer my question without sass and attitude its sorta all I can ask for on a forum. ;)

Yes. the things we on the left want to accomplish with government are about enhancing freedom, safety, and quality of life for the majority of people.

Authoritarianism is at the heart of leftist attitudes and politics....No doubt about it.

USeriousLOL.jpg

Yes. the things we on the left want to accomplish with government are about enhancing freedom, safety, and quality of life for the majority of people.
If those desires are ever at odds do you choose safety, and quality of life for the majority of people over freedom? Or do you believe freedom is always the answer for safety, and quality of life for the majority of people?

You can be anti-authoritarian on either side ... it's the type of authority you are against that defines your side.

If you hate this guy ...

jlaiutdenffqxbhsylzr.jpg

Or you hate this woman ...

8415fe99d52fa8b123111a6826ccb317

Define kind of authority you are against.

I get the picture of the cop, but what the hell is the girl in the second picture an "authority" in?

PMS? :laughing0301:

If those desires are ever at odds do you choose safety, and quality of life for the majority of people over freedom? Or do you believe freedom is always the answer for safety, and quality of life for the majority of people?
It's all about doing the best you can for the most folks. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes the other. The safety of a few vs the freedom of many, or the freedom of a few vs the safety of many. Also remember that all freedoms have at least a few limits, like shouting fire in a crowded theater for example.

No such thing as freedom unless you are completely alone. Once you team up you loose your freedom as you are now responsible for more than just yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back