Can Trump Follow Nixon’s 1968 ‘Law And Order’ Campaign To Victory?

Too many people remember the Nixon's Law and Order (wink, wink) debacle.

Divided we fall.

"His gallery includes a laissez-faire university president who let things drift; a mayor who panicked in calling for the Guard after an initial night of rioting that was less about Cambodia than beer; an overly zealous law-and-order governor in a tough election campaign; and Guard commanders who didn’t have a clear sense of what they were trying to accomplish.

Means also spends time providing the context within which these specific mistakes were made: a country as badly polarized as the one we live in now, which left little room for the sort of reasoned dialogue that might have averted a bloodbath. One sees this most clearly through Means’ chronicle of the aftermath.

Numerous residents of Kent and parents of students responded with variations on the wish that soldiers had finished the job by killing all the protesters.

Parents of one of the dead — a ROTC student and athlete in the wrong place at the wrong time — received a letter calling their boy a “destructive, riot-making communist” and advising the parents to “be thankful he is gone.”
So how was Nixon or Trump responsible for any of that?

BTW, the guard fired on the students because they were throwing bricks.

"The Kent State protests — initially triggered by President Richard Nixon’s April 30 speech announcing that Washington was expanding the Vietnam War into Cambodia — weren’t orchestrated by outside agitators. Or by what Nixon, on May 1, castigated as “bums blowing up campuses.”

There were no snipers, as some of the Guard would later claim. Nor were the soldiers’ lives ever endangered by the bricks, stones and human waste being hurled their way.

Most important, the U.S. Department of Justice concluded that the students were farther from the soldiers than alleged and weren’t advancing; nine of the 13 casualties were shot in the side or back.

So why did the Guard shoot at all?

Means is dispassionate and fair in noting that most of them were young, sleep deprived, inexperienced, badly trained, poorly led, angry and scared.
Again, so how were Nixon or Trump responsible for this event? Is Nixon responsible for the actions of every person who didn't like what he said?

Nixon didn't just say he was going to invade Cambodia. Trump has encouraged police to stop being so gentle with alleged criminals.
What difference does it make what Nixon said? Throwing bricks at law enforcement is not a proper response.

Yes, Trump has "encouraged police to stop being so gentle with alleged criminals," but that isn't what caused the rioting, is it? How does that make him responsible for Kent State?

Like I said it was what Nixon did. There were no riots as George lay on the ground, in handcuffs, and had the life choked out of him, none to gently.

We're talking about what Nixon did that makes him responsible for the people the National Guard shot in Ohio.

Your theory is that Nixon said something that the students didn't like, and you believe that's a justification for throwing bricks at the National Guard?

How long have you been huffing glue, you brain damaged moron?

How is either Trump or Nixon responsible for the death of George Floyd?

This stuff is all interchangeable in your mind, isn't it?

I never justified throwing bricks or shit at the Guardsmen. It's not a theory, it's history. Students across the country protested over the so called invasion of Cambodia. Nixon said he was the law and order guy but he wasn't, he was a criminal.
Sure you did. You blamed Nixon for the shooting at Kent State. If he's not responsible, then why did you bring his name up in connection with it?

You failed to prove your thesis that invading Cambodia made him responsible for the shootings and therefore contradicting his position on law and order.

I have to add that this has to be one of the most idiotic series of posts ever submitted by a TDS moron.

If anything the book I cited blames in part, the over zealous use of Law and Order, a feckless University president, the chain of command as well as the announcement of the Cambodian invasion.

But it's the over zealous use of the same "law and order" meme Trumpybear uses that I connect the two.

I call BS. I've seen your posts and there's no way you've read a book.

The path is already there. Following that path should be simple. Four more years! Can Trump Follow Nixon’s 1968 ‘Law And Order’ Campaign To Victory?
I'm sure the Democrats would love to hear that he's following the Nixon agenda. It'd be point number one in every campaign ad.

That would be a slight upgrade. So far Fingers point number one has been Trump caused the Wuhan flu and anyone with an IQ above 40 knows it was the Chinese.

Nixon met Trump in George Steinbrenner's box in Yankee Stadium and was immediately impressed. "Your man's got it", Nixon said to Stone.

Trump invited Nixon back to NY on his private 727 jetliner. Had he lived to see 2016, Nixon would surely have savoredthe fearlesness and ferocity with which Trump routinely lambasted the media. If there is a single figure in american political history who has had to endure a media as hostile and antagonistic as Nixon did, that is without doubt TRUMP!

The path is already there. Following that path should be simple. Four more years!

---Can Trump Follow Nixon’s 1968 ‘Law And Order’ Campaign To Victory?---

No. That is wishful thinking. The coronavirus will be a major issue and voters have made their decision.

Forum List

Back