Can the F-35 shoot down a North Korean Nuclear Missile

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
Here is an interesting concept. And no, the F-35 cannot do the job at this time. Not because of the Aircraft but the lack of a guidance system on a long enough ranged missile.

Yes, the F-35 is capable of knocking down an ICBM during the first 330 seconds of flight. But they are going to have to be close since the Aim-9X has a less than 23 miles kill range. I wouldn't want to be in ANY aircraft that far into North Korea.

Let's play a whatif. What if they mixed the Aim-9X with the Aim-120D. Give the Aim-120D the capability of using Heat Seeking as well. Not a huge stretch of the imagination. That would give the missile the range and then some considering a F-35 could launch just outside of North Korean Air Space and hit a target almost all the way across North Korea. And instead of the low speed of Mach 2.5 for the Aim-9X, the modified Aim-120D would have a speed of over Mach 4. Are they working on this now? I don't know.

Here is an interesting concept. And no, the F-35 cannot do the job at this time. Not because of the Aircraft but the lack of a guidance system on a long enough ranged missile.

Yes, the F-35 is capable of knocking down an ICBM during the first 330 seconds of flight. But they are going to have to be close since the Aim-9X has a less than 23 miles kill range. I wouldn't want to be in ANY aircraft that far into North Korea.

Let's play a whatif. What if they mixed the Aim-9X with the Aim-120D. Give the Aim-120D the capability of using Heat Seeking as well. Not a huge stretch of the imagination. That would give the missile the range and then some considering a F-35 could launch just outside of North Korean Air Space and hit a target almost all the way across North Korea. And instead of the low speed of Mach 2.5 for the Aim-9X, the modified Aim-120D would have a speed of over Mach 4. Are they working on this now? I don't know.

/---/ Thanks for the cool video, but your question is above my paygrade.

• Banned

Mine as well. My Crystal Ball is in the shop again. The only thing it picks up right now is the Taco Stands.

The AIM9 is a short range missile. It's range is not less than 23 miles, it's less than 5 miles. The AIM-120 is a much longer range missile but cannot compete in speed with an ICBM.

I have a better and simpler idea. Why not just take out the little shit that keeps launching the missiles in the first place?

I have a better and simpler idea. Why not just take out the little shit that keeps launching the missiles in the first place?

Because that same little shit has enough artillery hidden in the mountains of south NK to level Seoul.

Mine as well. My Crystal Ball is in the shop again. The only thing it picks up right now is the Taco Stands.

/----/ Perhaps this is all that is needed with Rocket Man's capabilities.
upload_2019-5-9_7-55-35.png

Because that same little shit has enough artillery hidden in the mountains of south NK to level Seoul.

Won't do him any good after he's dead. 99% of the North want peace and prosperity. Once that little fuck is dead, things will change up there, the chain of tyrants will have been broken. If they launch all that crap at the South whom they are on good terms with now, they know it'll just mean their own destruction as well.

Won't do him any good after he's dead. 99% of the North want peace and prosperity. Once that little fuck is dead, things will change up there, the chain of tyrants will have been broken. If they launch all that crap at the South whom they are on good terms with now, they know it'll just mean their own destruction as well.

It would mean their own destruction anyway, but you can't take back artillery once its fired.

The AIM9 is a short range missile. It's range is not less than 23 miles, it's less than 5 miles. The AIM-120 is a much longer range missile but cannot compete in speed with an ICBM.

The Aim-9X is listed as .6 to 22 miles for kill range. It might be able to go further but not a good kill.

The Aim-9 you are referring to is the Aim-9D. The original Aim-9B had only a 2.6 mile range while the Aim-9D had up to a 5 mile range. The Aim-9X owes nothing to the early Aim-9s and has a much longer burn time and is slaved to the Optical Helmet as well. Unlike the early Aim-9, the X can be fired with zero heat signature, guided by the pilot until it picks up the heat signature. The only limiting factor is the burn time on the motor.

They will shoot down missiles with laser and they already have one in operation.
The US Air Force successfully tested a laser system to shoot down missiles
The US Air Force successfully tested a laser system to shoot down missiles

Not any in aircraft yet. As your article said, they are going to have to miniaturize it a bit to use in in something like the F-35. The F-35 is the likely recipient since, unlike the others, it has the room for expansion and has a huge excess of electrical power. Your article said it was to begin onboard testing sometime in 2021.

Forum List

Back