Can leg cramps cause permanent damage?

Does Gramps take medicine for high blood pressure? When I was prescribed lisinipro, I had leg cramps bad until my body adjusted. I still have to make sure I get enough water and potassium.

Do you also take meds for cholesterol? I have no problem with the lisinipril, but the first statin drug I took gave me a cramp so bad I passed out.

Back when I was a kid my mother used to give me quinine pills... You could buy them over the counter... And they worked... I remember one particular time I spent about 12 to 13 hours out in the alfalfa field on the second cutting of square bales and was not only sun burnt but was suffering so bad from leg cramps, I wanted to die... Quinine was the fix for the cramps... They say not to take quinine for cramps an cause it might hurt you...

10, 12 years ago I started getting leg cramps and went and I remembered the quinine and went to the Apothecary and was told that quinine was no longer for sale over the counter... Last time I tried the quinine was at a NASCAR race in Bristol, Tn. Went to a race on Sat and Sun... Sat. night went to a liquor store to buy some Schweppes Tonic with Quinine... Didn't buy any Gin, probably should have though...

Gatorade is probably the best bet... Grampa Murked U

Last night I had the worst cramp in human history lol
I'm not even kidding. It lasted what felt like forever but it was about 4 or 5 minutes.
I was wearing shorts and felt something funny, looked down and it looked like something the size of a gerbil was crawling up my leg under my skin. At that point I knew what was coming and braced for the pain. Holy hell it was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt and it looked even worse.
It was so bad that I'm am near horse this morning and have a migraine. Possibly coincidence I suppose but what a miserable 12 hours this has been.
Can't put much weight on my leg this morning without more pain.

Go see a doctor because that shit does not sound right and if you are diabetic while drinking as much as you do then you need to stop!

Why did I mention the diabetes part?

Just a damn hunch...

Gramps is ACTIVE all day long.... So it is not the lack of activity.... my bet, is dehydration caused his cramp, or lack of potassium....potassium is needed for normal nerve function...which controls muscles.

It also could be the heavy alcohol intake that he is known for while also not having a proper diet and the fact if I am correct he set tiles which is hell on your legs!

Still he need to see a doctor because that shit doesn’t sound right...

All good answers so far, but also flex the muscle instead of trying to stop the cramp by immobilization.
Move it back and forth rapidly.
The not only reconnects your outside control over the muscle tissue, but also pumps fluids faster and gets the potassium to it that can relax it.

Forum List

Back