Can it Be Considered Racist to Prefer The Company of Your Own Race?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Without incurring kneejerk indignation (or one of Daveman's dancing Hitlers), is it racist, or indeed, morally repugnant to (within the law) go out of your way to restrict yourself from interacting with people who don't belong to your race?

Sorry, daveman's dancing Hitlers are the response to any conceivably politically incorrect opinion on race. And some unconceived, I'm sure.

is it racist, or indeed, morally repugnant to (within the law) go out of your way to restrict yourself from interacting with people who don't belong to your race?
Only if you're white

Without incurring kneejerk indignation (or one of Daveman's dancing Hitlers), is it racist, or indeed, morally repugnant to (within the law) go out of your way to restrict yourself from interacting with people who don't belong to your race?

Lets go with this for a second. You enter a room full of white people because you knew that room would be nothing but white people. In this particular room though, pretty much all of them are assholes to you.

Then what do you do? Those whites you seeked out are assholes and you only want to be around whites. Then what do you do?

:doubt:

Of greater concern would be why one should feel the need to do so.

Lets go with this for a second. You enter a room full of white people because you knew that room would be nothing but white people. In this particular room though, pretty much all of them are assholes to you.

Then what do you do? Those whites you seeked out are assholes and you only want to be around whites. Then what do you do?

Yes, lets go with it. But instead of distracting from the OP with hypothetical scenarios or bias or additional factors that favour the OP's detractors, why not just answer what's actually a rather simple question.

Freedom of association.

:eusa_eh: The human race?!?

Wouldn't bother me... I'm the American Mutt who can pass for white when it's advantageous for me.

:D

Racist, no. Just ignorant.

Why is choosing to associate with who you want to ignorant? I prefer not to rub shoulders with criminals. Does that make me ignorant, too?

Depends on the 'criminal'. I quite often 'rub shoulders' with people who've been to prison. They are also usually former addicts. But they're trying to turn their lives around, and I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and try to help them. More often than not, they succeed. We each march to our own drum.

Why is choosing to associate with who you want to ignorant? I prefer not to rub shoulders with criminals. Does that make me ignorant, too?

Your topic is a trigger point of our PC culture. I guess we are all supposed to have friends of other races. You can associate with whomever you want. All my friends are white and so am I.

Your topic is a trigger point of our PC culture. I guess we are all supposed to have friends of other races. You can associate with whomever you want. All my friends are white and so am I.

I don't think many people think we are 'supposed' to have friends of other races... as long as we don't choose not to be friends with anyone based on their race.

Depends on the 'criminal'. I quite often 'rub shoulders' with people who've been to prison. They are also usually former addicts. But they're trying to turn their lives around, and I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and try to help them. More often than not, they succeed. We each march to our own drum.

OK, does choosing to not rub shoulders with criminally active individuals make me ignorant? If you want to continue in this thread, I'll kindly ask you to answer the question without any further evasion. A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice.

It's not a need but rather a natural inclination and there is nothing racist about it.

I am White and while I generally prefer to associate with intelligent Blacks rather than stupid Whites, all things being equal, and as with any other type of animal, I naturally gravitate toward and am more comfortable with people and things which are most familiar to me.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, which was a "city of neighborhoods." Bensonhurst was predominately Italian, Flatbush was mostly Jewish, Park Slope was mainly Irish with a small Bohemian enclave inhabited by a variety of ethnicities, Bay Ridge was Nordic and German and Bedford-Stuyvestant was Black -- and that, too, was divided by a section which was exclusively West Indian. These divisions were not imposed by any mandate but occurred and existed as a matter of preference, the best example being that of Black Muslims who are absolutely adamant about living apart from Whites. It should be noted that people got along very well in Brooklyn. Even during the era when Jim Crow was active in the South it was unheard of in Brookyn.

Such formations are not uncommon. Chinese, for example, are known to form Chinatowns wherever they settle in America (and probably elsewhere) and they generally do not socialize outside their ethnicity. Likewise, Orthodox Jews tend to form insular communities and keep to themselves. It's not because of ethnic antipathy but simply because of a natural preference for what it most familiar. Opposition to this natural tendency has come about as the result of intense pressure imposed by political correctness.

But Birds of a feather flock together.

Last edited:

OK, does choosing to not rub shoulders with criminally active individuals make me ignorant? If you want to continue in this thread, I'll kindly ask you to answer the question without any further evasion. A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice.

So which bit of "Racist, no" do I need to explain to your dumb ass?

So which bit of "Racist, no" do I need to explain to your dumb ass?

We've already established your position on the OP, dickhead. What I'd like is a straight answer to is my second question, which was induced by your ascertion that to prefer the company of your own race was ignorant. I then drew a parallel in asking if my choosing to not associate with a part of society based on determing factors was ignorant. You evaded the question, so I'll ask again. Does choosing not to associate with criminally active groups or individuals make me ignorant. And if so, how?

I don't consider it racist nor ignorant. Different cultures and different age groups have different life experiences, likes in music, sports, movies...

I could have a community of Swedes move into my neighborhood and even though they look like me, we would not share interests in sports, foods, music, TV shows we watch, humor. Doesn't mean I am racist against Swedes...just that we lack a common ground

Forum List

Back