Can Congress change requirements for office?

I ask because of this
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority (msn.com)
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
Can you show me where the Constitution gives them power to change constitutional processes without an amendment?
I wasn’t aware that they were changing a constitutional process. Which process are they changing and how are they changing it?
The process of figuring out if a person is eligible for the Presidency. They are changing it by wanting more requirements.
Do you understand now?
The constitution outlines who is eligible to run for president. It does not outline the process and requirements to register, qualify, disclose, get their name on state ballots, etc etc etc. states run elections and have their processes, also congress has their process and regulations. Those are decided by legislatures. Get it?
To the extent any such measures are used to prevent a candidate from being elected, those requirements would be unconstitutional. After the fact, they may be able to get them, but only after the issues of privilege are litigated.
So if I wanted to run for president but I didn’t want to register or fill out any paper work I just wanted to say I’m running and be included in the election, that’s cool? And if they don’t put me on the ballots I can sue because the constitution doesn’t say anything about paperwork and registration?

It's a free country, you can do that if you wish. Then the courts will determine the outcome.

The US hasn't been a free country for almost 90 years.
Awwww you poor oppressed baby. I feel so bad for you. Hang in there, you’ll get through this if you stay strong!
You'll be saying "Awwww you poor oppressed baby" when they march you off to the Gulag.
Haha. Is that what they’ve been doing for the past 90 years?
That's what Democrat Reich minions do, NAZI. You have revealed your cloven hoof. Dem Nazis have openely demanded that they want to "deprogram" people simply for being Republican.
Oh shit, you’ve seen my hoof?! Damn, I need to get a longer dress. Do you think you could just pretend that you didn’t see it please?

I ask because of this
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still

HR1 was the first bill passed by the Democratic House in 2019. McConnell refused to take it up. Nancy is bringing back her greatest hits from 2018-2020 which the Senate refused to consider.

As for your complaint, common sense, and the experience of the past 4 years would seem to be proof positive that the American people need to see a full financial disclosure of a candidate's financial situation, to be assured that he is in a financially sound enough situation to be entrusted with the nation's treasury. I no doubt that once the Biden Administration gets a good look at the moneys under Trump's control from the stimulus bill, will be found to have been misused, or simply, missing.

Trump is such a crook, and has no brakes on his corruption whatsoever. I'm reminded of the time my bank's Administration Manager hired a kleptomaniac. When he hired her, I went to the guy and told him she's a thief. I knew her from school. He about took my head off. Her father was a judge. Why would she steal? Within weeks, money started disappearing around the office. She just could not help herself.

That's Trump. He said be was bribe proof because he was rich. But he just could not help himself. Doubling the initiation fees at his golf clubs to sell access, and then giving big government contracts to those who joined his clubs and who booked big events there - like corporate retreats, or annual meetings. Or his Washington Hotel. More than 200 federal contracts were awarded to companies whose owner/executives were members of the Trump golf courses, or who booked major events at Trump properties.

At the end, he was openly selling pardons - $100,000. Perhaps if you'd seen how deeply in debt he was to people who would use that to pressure him to do their bidding, the American people would have been spared the last four years of total destruction of the American government, business and standing in the world.

I ask because of this

HR1 was the first bill passed by the Democratic House in 2019. McConnell refused to take it up. Nancy is bringing back her greatest hits from 2018-2020 which the Senate refused to consider.

As for your complaint, common sense, and the experience of the past 4 years would seem to be proof positive that the American people need to see a full financial disclosure of a candidate's financial situation, to be assured that he is in a financially sound enough situation to be entrusted with the nation's treasury. I no doubt that once the Biden Administration gets a good look at the moneys under Trump's control from the stimulus bill, will be found to have been misused, or simply, missing.

Trump is such a crook, and has no brakes on his corruption whatsoever. I'm reminded of the time my bank's Administration Manager hired a kleptomaniac. When he hired her, I went to the guy and told him she's a thief. I knew her from school. He about took my head off. Her father was a judge. Why would she steal? Within weeks, money started disappearing around the office. She just could not help herself.

That's Trump. He said be was bribe proof because he was rich. But he just could not help himself. Doubling the initiation fees at his golf clubs to sell access, and then giving big government contracts to those who joined his clubs and who booked big events there - like corporate retreats, or annual meetings. Or his Washington Hotel. More than 200 federal contracts were awarded to companies whose owner/executives were members of the Trump golf courses, or who booked major events at Trump properties.

At the end, he was openly selling pardons - $100,000. Perhaps if you'd seen how deeply in debt he was to people who would use that to pressure him to do their bidding, the American people would have been spared the last four years of total destruction of the American government, business and standing in the world.
Shut up, foreigner.
Your justification for abuse of power and unconstitutional actions is pathetic.

I ask because of this
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
No he can't, NAZI. The constitution does not give Congress the power to impose requirements on who can be a candidate for president.

Forum List

Back