Can Congress change requirements for office?

I ask because of this
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority (msn.com)
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage
What's the purpose of the background checks and financial disclosures?
To assess risk and provide transparency about the candidate
So, adding an eligibility requirement?

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

You want to change it? AMEND!!!

No more of this obtuse nonsense:

4347491664-5528314fe0-z.jpg

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!
That’s not what I said or what it is. It’s part of the process that a constitutionally eligible candidate undertakes to run
CANNOT be a bar to eligibility.

It is not impossible to amend the eligibility requirements to require "financial disclosures in a manner prescribed by Congress."

The question is why are so many people so quick to ignore the plain language of the Constitution when the amendment process has been available since the beginning?

Because it's too hard?

TOUGH SHIT! THAT'S THE POINT!!!
It doesn’t bar eligibility the candidate is eligible if the meet the requirements of the constitution. Then there is the actual process that states, feds and elections boards require to run a campaign.

I’m curious as to why you’re so against it? It won’t apply to Trump.

I ask because of this
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage
Where does the Constitution say that? Congress can regulate Congressional elections, and nothing else.
Article 1

I ask because of this
Where does the Constitution say that? Congress can regulate Congressional elections, and nothing else.
Article 1
which section?

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?

I ask because of this

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

That’s not what I said or what it is. It’s part of the process that a constitutionally eligible candidate undertakes to run

It is not impossible to amend the eligibility requirements to require "financial disclosures in a manner prescribed by Congress."

The question is why are so many people so quick to ignore the plain language of the Constitution when the amendment process has been available since the beginning?

Because it's too hard?

It doesn’t bar eligibility the candidate is eligible if the meet the requirements of the constitution. Then there is the actual process that states, feds and elections boards require to run a campaign.

So, let me ask it this way.

If a candidate refuses to turn over financials and submit to a background check, should that candidate be allowed to run?

I am asking purely from a legal/constitutional perspective. I already know your opinion. I am asking you about your interpretation of law.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
So, by your interpretation, Congress can do ANYTHING?

Why does the constitution need any other provisions or the bill of rights? It should just say "Congress can do whatever the fuck it wants to promote the general welfare, which means anything Congress wants it to mean."

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
General Welfare

Total bullshit.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part

I ask because of this
It's like everday is groundhog day for them. Amazing.
Section 5: Powers and Duties of Congress
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.
Explain to me how that is relevant to presidential eligibility.
Ben is old. He knows not what he copy/pastes.
Well, your op raised congress and the exec. But yes, Congress does mandate financial disclosures for exec candidates. There's nothing saying they can't require more stringent disclosures. They cannot change age residency and citizenship
Exec candidates? You mean admin appointees? they aren't the fucking president, you dumbass NAZI.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
Stop lying, NAZI.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
The bullshit part that you allege means Congress can do anything it wants?

I ask because of this

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

Because it's too hard?

So, let me ask it this way.

If a candidate refuses to turn over financials and submit to a background check, should that candidate be allowed to run?

I am asking purely from a legal/constitutional perspective. I already know your opinion. I am asking you about your interpretation of law.
They can run sure, but they probably won’t get their name on the ballot or be included in debates if they haven’t followed the proper protocols though

I ask because of this

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

Because it's too hard?

Prmaries are run by the parties for the benefit of the parties. All they do who is the nominee of the party.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
So, by your interpretation, Congress can do ANYTHING?

Why does the constitution need any other provisions or the bill of rights? It should just say "Congress can do whatever the fuck it wants to promote the general welfare, which means anything Congress wants it to mean."
We live in a self governing country, so yes congress can do whatever they want. And if it breaks the law then it can be overturned by courts.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
Stop lying, NAZI.
What did I lie about?

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
Lol you arent very good at this.

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
The bullshit part that you allege means Congress can do anything it wants?
I find it fascinating that after all this drama about fraudulent elections y’all turn around and fight against security measures for elections. Is it just because Dems are proposing it?

you know we already have financial disclosures that are part of running for president. Did y’all put up a fuss about those or is it just the tax return thing because of the Trump situation

I ask because of this
Article 1
which section?
Lol ok.... what part?
The last part
Lol you arent very good at this.
I’m giving you direct answers to your questions. It’s the no spin zone

Forum List

Back