Can Congress change requirements for office?

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
I ask because of this
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority (msn.com)
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still

"Senate Democrats are committed to advancing real solutions and fighting to uphold the core tenets of our constitution, which is why we are announcing today that the first bill of the new Congress will be the For the People Act," Schumer said in a statement.
:lol:

I ask because of this
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
That would require a constitutional amendment.

I ask because of this
That would require a constitutional amendment.
Thats what i was thinking, too.
Thats why i got such a kick out of the clown saying they are committed to the Constitution lol

I ask because of this
Where in the Constitution is it forbidden?

I ask because of this

The only requirements for a person to be president is to be a natural born citizen and to be at least 35 years old.

I ask because of this
That question is completely irrelevant.
You need to understand what the Constitution actually is.

I ask because of this

The 22nd amendment limits to two terms. The general rule of two terms was started by washington and followed until king fdr came along and refused to follow longstanding tradition.

I ask because of this
No, I'm serious. That's not an answer. Tell me what the Constitution IS that forbids it. I'm just interested, not arguing.

I ask because of this

The 22nd amendment limits to two terms.
I thought we were talking about tax returns? That's what TN had bolded.

I ask because of this
No, I'm serious. That's not an answer. Tell me what the Constitution IS that forbids it. I'm just interested, not arguing.
The Constitution not "forbiding" something is irrelevant. Our system isnt set up that way.
The Constitution lists specific powers, and ways to do certain things. To change that requires a constitutional amendment.

I ask because of this

I thought you were responding to the requirements and terms of president and congress.

I ask because of this
The Constitution not "forbiding" something is irrelevant. Our system isnt set up that way.
The Constitution lists specific powers, and ways to do certain things. To change that requires a constitutional amendment.
Are we still talking about tax returns?

I ask because of this
Are we still talking about tax returns?
We are talking about your question about the constitution not forbidding something.

I ask because of this

I thought you were responding to the requirements and terms of president and congress.
Where do terms come up in the bill?

I ask because of this
So, they could pass a law that only people who own land in Virginia can be president?

Only people who ____________ can be president?

As it stands, the constitutional requirements for president are:
1. Natural-born citizen (not an immigrant)
2. 35 years old
3. a resident of the U.S. for 14 years.

If they are saying that a president, after election, must disclose tax returns, that's different. I understand that these assholes want it to be a prerequisite.

I ask because of this
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.

I ask because of this

Where do terms come up in the bill?

Wait, who's on first?

Forum List

Back