Can capitalism exist without a government

PurpleOwl

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2016
Capitalism cannot exist without a state, but the state can exist without capitalism. Capitalism is merely an extension of the state, the terms crony capitalism, or corrupt capitalism are therefore redundant.

Thoughts?

Capitalism isn't dependent on a government, it is only dependent on having products that are wanted and people are willing to pay for.

Shoot.................just because a government fails or wars break out doesn't stop people from selling and buying things.

The state is not the same thing as a government. A state is an institution of force, or the combination of governance and force.

Going over the etymology of the word, the concept of capitalism was originally defined as 'pertaining to the usage of capital' in the 1800s. Today, capitalism is commonly defined as the existence of capital and the affirmation of property rights. Those things can absolutely exist without the state.

Often a capitalist society is conflated with a free market, which is not correct.

In a primitive society capitalism of a type might be OK, but in an industrial nation capitalism could not survive without a government that maintains the capitalism.

Capitalism cannot exist without a state, but the state can exist without capitalism. Capitalism is merely an extension of the state, the terms crony capitalism, or corrupt capitalism are therefore redundant.

Thoughts?
Read the works of David Friedman, the leading proponent of Anarcho-Capitalism. He holds that all functions of the state would better be handled by the private sector.

The state is not the same thing as a government. A state is an institution of force, or the combination of governance and force.

Going over the etymology of the word, the concept of capitalism was originally defined as 'pertaining to the usage of capital' in the 1800s. Today, capitalism is commonly defined as the existence of capital and the affirmation of property rights. Those things can absolutely exist without the state.
Capitalism cannot exist without the state to enforce and govern said property rights, to determine the value of capital and guarantee the value of a currency. The simple of accumulation of valuable items doesn't define capitalism alone, other wise penguins who collect pebbles for their mate would be considered capitalists. Neither does the simple affirmation of property rights without collective enforcement and rule of law, anymore than a dog marking his territory on a fire hydrant makes it a property owner

Often a capitalist society is conflated with a free market, which is not correct.
That's true but the term free market is a bit of a misnomer, since it doesn't mean "a market free of government interference." as its often used. In fact the opposite is true, the government needs to exist in order to prevent benefits gained from monopolies, or economic privilege.

That's true but the term free market is a bit of a misnomer, since it doesn't mean "a market free of government interference." as its often used. In fact the opposite is true, the government needs to exist in order to prevent benefits gained from monopolies, or economic privilege.

Add into the fact that a society without government is a unstable one that is highly violent...Etc Somalia. Government is a very important element to a successful economy.

Thoughts?
Of course capitalism exists without government. There are numerous examples of this throughout history.

Government is force...it is also almost always corrupt. Government is merely allowing a few connected or elitist individuals power over others. Government has never worked well, but it has caused tremendous death and suffering. Why do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

The wealthy elites LOVE government because it gives them power and wealth.

Add into the fact that a society without government is a unstable one

Republicans Democrats communists capitalists and libertarians all agree so why are you pointing it out except to have a strawman with which to sooth your low liberal IQ ????????????

I wonder along the same lines, can liberals exist without lying?

. Capitalism is merely an extension of the state,
our country is based on natural law wherein people are naturally capitalist, i.e, they naturally engage in free peaceful voluntary economic and social relationships. Our founders formed our govt to support natures law or Gods law. So govt is an extension of nature from Aristotle to Jefferson. Welcome to your first lesson in world history!!

Add into the fact that a society without government is a unstable one that is highly violent...Etc Somalia. Government is a very important element to a successful economy.
thats getting into "gang turf", clanism, and subversive paramilitary governments existing inside of a state

Add into the fact that a society without government is a unstable one that is highly violent....

and thats called anarchy which neither Democrats Republicans nor libertarians support so why are you pretending someone here is an anarchist

As usual you have it completely wrong. Society with government is unstable. You would think thousands of years of proof, would make it evident.

As usual you have it completely wrong. Society with government is unstable.

I believe organization is beneficial in any sort of society. That's why I am a big fan of platformism, which might as well be called government.

and thats called anarchy which neither Democrats Republicans nor libertarians support so why are you pretending someone here is an anarchist

That's actually not the definition of anarchism, many libertarians support that vision, and I am an anarchist.

Welcome to your first lesson in intellectual honesty!

As usual you have it completely wrong. Society with government is unstable.

I believe organization is beneficial in any sort of society. That's why I am a big fan of platformism, which might as well be called government.
[/QUOTE]
Okay. As you know, statists don't know what that means and what they consider government is never good.

Okay. As you know, statists don't know what that means and what they consider government is never good.

I never say I oppose government. I always claim to oppose rulers and states.

Many anarchists say they oppose government, but then support councils, cooperatives, and other forms of organization. It seems dishonest.

Forum List

Back